Re: [videoblogging] First Post

  • Patricia Tarver
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      floridablue64 wrote:

      > Hello, my name is Matt and most of the time I have no idea what I am
      > doing. I made this
      > video last year, it was the first thing I ever made. I got it online,
      > but have no idea why it
      > takes so long to download. Since you are all better than me at this,
      > is there anything I can
      > do to expedite the download process.
      >
      > http://movies13.archive.org/1/movies/SmashingPumpkin/Smashing_Pumpkin.avi

      I don't know that much about this either...but it seems to me that maybe
      because it's an Avi file it's huge. Check out Michael Verdi's
      tutorials...they are awesome and helped me along.
      http://michaelverdi.com/index.htm
      He has a section on Videoblogging info.

      Hope this helps,
      Patricia
    • Joshua Kinberg
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        Looking at your page on archive.org (http://tinyurl.com/a2tsb), it
        says your movie is 408MB. That's close to half a gigabyte! You need to
        compress your movies for web delivery to get that file size to a place
        that is manageable and reasonable as a download. My personal
        preference is something under 20MB, which is usually achievable with
        fairly short movies and good compression.

        Quicktime Pro is really a compression swiss army knife, and is a steal
        for $30 (whether you are using Windows or Macintosh). I do a lot of
        work with video on the web and can honestly say that I rely on QT Pro
        almost daily for format conversions and compression.

        If you are using Windows and don't want to spend the money for QT Pro,
        you should be able to import your AVI into Windows Movie Maker (free
        program that comes with XP) and convert your AVI into a reasonably
        sized WMV. You may have to tweak the settings to get something that
        looks good and has an acceptable file size... it would be great if
        someone could send their WMV compression settings to this group in the
        form of a tutorial the way Michael Verdi has done with 3ivx...

        -Josh

        On 5/1/05, R. Kristiansen <raymondmk@...> wrote:
        > .avi :)
        >
        > .avi is a very little compresssed movie format.
        >
        > check this out: http://www.michaelverdi.com/demo/compresscompare.html
        > for one way of doing it. I won't enter the whole debate of what
        > compression codec or video format is "best", but .avi for sure is not
        > the best solution for fast downloads.
        >
        > Best,
        > Raymond M. Kristiansen
        >
        > On 5/2/05, floridablue64 <floridablue64@...> wrote:
        > > Hello, my name is Matt and most of the time I have no idea what I am doing.
        > > I made this
        > > video last year, it was the first thing I ever made. I got it online, but
        > > have no idea why it
        > > takes so long to download. Since you are all better than me at this, is
        > > there anything I can
        > > do to expedite the download process.
        > >
        > > http://movies13.archive.org/1/movies/SmashingPumpkin/Smashing_Pumpkin.avi

      • Steve Watkins
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2005
          avi is not the best solution due to there being no mainstream way to
          watch it in an internet browser window, and it being a hassle for mac
          users. However it is still the most common video file format used in
          windows, and is widely used by pc users for sharing videos in
          situations which dont require it to be shown directly in webpages.
          Still it is not (and shouldnt be) the format that most videobloggers
          use, so you wont find that many people here advising you to stick with
          avi format.

          avi is just a file format, like mov, it doesnt define how compressed
          the file is or what the filesize is. Filesize, download time, quality
          are caused by the type of video & audio codecs are used within the avi.

          The reason your avi is so large, is because you have not chosen to
          compress it in a format suitable for efficient web delivery. I have
          not downloaded your video as it is nearly 400MB in size, but it is
          quite probably in DV format, the format most video cameras use. This
          format is geared towards giving pretty good quality, but it takes up a
          lot of space, 1 hour of DV footage is about 13GB in size!

          You have several choices, all of which involve recompressing the avi
          that you have to a differeent format that will be loads smaller.

          But it is a slightly awkward moment to try to advise you of the best
          solution. So far you have been pointed towards a good guide by Michael
          Verdi as to what settings to use in a compressor called 3ivx. However
          most people using this are on the apple mac, and so are creating 3ivx
          files which are saved as .mov type files. If you use 3ivx on the PC,
          you are more likely to end up creating .avis that are compressed with
          3ivx. This will create much smaller .avi files for you, but will not
          be so great for people on the mac wanting to watch your stuff, and
          they wont play in a browser window. If you want to create .mov files
          using 3ivx on the PC, you need to buy quicktime pro I think.

          Also I think people are supposed to be buying 3ivx before they share
          videos compressed with it. If true, this needs to be reflected in the
          videoblogging guides that recommend 3ivx and show people how to do it.
          Comments from people responsible for such guides are urgently sought,
          as this issue is currently not finished and should not be ignored.

          Sorry for confusing things, there are a number of free solutions to
          make your video much smaller, its just tricky to get the right
          combination to suit mac viewers and a few other issues. I will be
          giving simpler and hopefully more useful advise on these issues in the
          coming days.

          Cheers

          Steve of Elbows

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen"
          <raymondmk@g...> wrote:
          > .avi :)
          >
          > .avi is a very little compresssed movie format.
          but .avi for sure is not
          > the best solution for fast downloads.
          >
          > Best,
          > Raymond M. Kristiansen
        • Jan McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2005
            By the way, once you've taken advantage of all the advice from these
            good folks and compressed your film, post a link to it, okay?

            Am familiar with PC stuff and have to say if your film was output to
            500MB (that's pretty darned big) you might want to consider breaking it
            up into smaller parts or "chapters". Out of curiosity, how long is the
            film?

            Jan