sideways video

  • Deirdre Straughan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 11:30 PM
      I don't usually use my digital still camera for video, but the other
      day I grabbed a few seconds of something (an antique steam train we
      happened to pass when I was on the regular train going to work) when I
      didn't have my video camera on me. I first took some still shots, and
      I often do verticals, so when I hit the video switch, I forgot that I
      was no longer doing stills, and left the camera sideways. So now I
      have a sideways video. Is there something that will flip it over for
      me?

      --
      best regards,
      Deirdré Straughan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        Keep it sideways! Sideways is way arty and cool! ;)

        Besides that, the only method I can think of myself is cutting the
        film into frames and rotating each frame in your GIMP/similar, and
        then stitching it together again. I know there are better methods out
        there, but I don't have experience with any :)

        Raymond

        On 5/1/05, Deirdre Straughan <deirdre.straughan@...> wrote:
        > I don't usually use my digital still camera for video, but the other
        > day I grabbed a few seconds of something (an antique steam train we
        > happened to pass when I was on the regular train going to work) when I
        > didn't have my video camera on me. I first took some still shots, and
        > I often do verticals, so when I hit the video switch, I forgot that I
        > was no longer doing stills, and left the camera sideways. So now I
        > have a sideways video. Is there something that will flip it over for
        > me?
        >
        > --
        > best regards,
        > Deirdré Straughan
        > www.straughan.com

      • Jan McLaughlin
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2005
          Oh, yeah! QT (pro anyway).

          Movie / Get Movie Properties / Video Track / Size

          In the arrows / rotate circles you will find the solution to your
          dilemma.

          Jan

          On May 1, 2005, at 2:30 AM, Deirdre Straughan wrote:

          > I don't usually use my digital still camera for video, but the other
          > day I grabbed a few seconds of something (an antique steam train we
          > happened to pass when I was on the regular train going to work) when I
          > didn't have my video camera on me. I first took some still shots, and
          > I often do verticals, so when I hit the video switch, I forgot that I
          > was no longer doing stills, and left the camera sideways. So now I
          > have a sideways video. Is there something that will flip it over for
          > me?
          >
          > --
          > best regards,
          > Deirdré Straughan
          > www.straughan.com

        • Steve Garfield
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2005
            There's an easy way to rotate an image using QuickTime Pro.

            Go to the Movie menu, select Get Movie Properties.

            Then select Video Track, and then select Size.

            You are presented with arrows that allow you to rotate the image.

            Easy.
            --Steve
            http://stevegarfield.com

            On May 1, 2005, at 2:30 AM, Deirdre Straughan wrote:

            > I forgot that I
            > was no longer doing stills, and left the camera sideways. So now I
            > have a sideways video. Is there something that will flip it over for
            > me?
          • Adam Quirk
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2005
              Or in Win Movie Maker:

              Right click > Video Effects > Rotate 90 degrees

              You can also rotate 180 or 270.
            • luxomaticart
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2005
                Use Quicktime Pro and Imovie to Rotate Movies

                In QuickTime Pro: Movie -> Get Movie Properties -> Video Track/Size -- then use rotate
                buttons

                Simple Rotate, an iMovie plugin
                http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14159

                ~Rene