Re: [videoblogging] h.264 examples

  • Jan McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29, 2005
      Downloaded as you suggested after trying to view in browser, but
      receive "error -8971" on my QT6-capable mac.

      :(

      Jan

      --
      "It isn't done alone" - Ian Watson, Love Detective & Staff Writer
      http://fauxpress.blogspot.com

      On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:39 PM, Joash Chee wrote:

      > For me, I'm using VLC on the Mac.
      >
      > - Joash
      >
      > "Work is seriously fun." - http://uijunkie.blogspot.com
      >
      > On 30-Apr-05, at 08:27 AM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
      >
      >> Hmmm, apparently need Quicktime 7 to view H.264 content. That's not
      >> very useful if its not backwards compatible...
      >>
      >> -Josh
      >>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jan McLaughlin
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 30, 2005
        http://pingomatic.com

        Posted here a while back that I "felt" that pinging brought my feed to
        ANT more quickly.

        In the last days I've experimented with not pinging and can say that
        the feeds didn't show up in 24 hours so this morning, I caved & pinged.

        The nice thing about pingomatic is that it has not only pings many
        different sites, but includes links to a bunch of 'em so that those of
        you who are new to casting can get there & set up accounts.

        Jan

        --
        "It isn't done alone" - Ian Watson, Love Detective & Staff Writer
        http://fauxpress.blogspot.comhttp://pingomatic.com/

        On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:59 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

        > Could you view this content using VLC? It wouldn't display in the web
        > browser for me. I could try downloading and opening with VLC if that
        > works...
        > -Josh
        >
        > On 4/29/05, Joash Chee <joashpbook@...> wrote:
        >> For me, I'm using VLC on the Mac.
        >>
        >> - Joash
        >>
        >> "Work is seriously fun." - http://uijunkie.blogspot.com
        >>
        >> On 30-Apr-05, at 08:27 AM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hmmm, apparently need Quicktime 7 to view H.264 content. That's not
        >>> very useful if its not backwards compatible...
        >>>
        >>> -Josh
        >>>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joshua Kinberg
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 30, 2005
          Do you feel that pinging is necessary because you are using feedburnner?
          So if I understand correctly, your feedburner feed is not reflecting
          your recent updates quickly enough, and pinging expedites this...
          true?

          Pinging should have nothing to do with getting your feed to ANT.
          ANT simply reads your feed as is. But if you're saying feedburner is
          not reflecting your recent updates fast enough, then we know where the
          issue lies.

          -Josh

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 30, 2005
            Yes, exactly: feedburner does not reflect updates quickly enough
            without a ping. Did not mean to impugn ANT. No way; if ANT was a fella,
            I'd ask it out.

            Is there a more efficient feed? Have atom, too.

            Jan

            On Apr 30, 2005, at 9:37 AM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

            > Do you feel that pinging is necessary because you are using
            > feedburnner?
            > So if I understand correctly, your feedburner feed is not reflecting
            > your recent updates quickly enough, and pinging expedites this...
            > true?
            >
            > Pinging should have nothing to do with getting your feed to ANT.
            > ANT simply reads your feed as is. But if you're saying feedburner is
            > not reflecting your recent updates fast enough, then we know where the
            > issue lies.
            >
            > -Josh
            >

            > On 4/30/05, Jan McLaughlin <vze4pnhk@...> wrote:
            >> http://pingomatic.com
            >>
            >> Posted here a while back that I "felt" that pinging brought my feed to
            >> ANT more quickly.
            >>
            >> In the last days I've experimented with not pinging and can say that
            >> the feeds didn't show up in 24 hours so this morning, I caved &
            >> pinged.
            >>
            >> The nice thing about pingomatic is that it has not only pings many
            >> different sites, but includes links to a bunch of 'em so that those of
            >> you who are new to casting can get there & set up accounts.
            >>
            >> Jan
            >>
            >> --
            >> "It isn't done alone" - Ian Watson, Love Detective & Staff Writer
            >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.comhttp://pingomatic.com/

          • Chris K
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 30, 2005
              is it a webserver thing or is it an actual backwards compatibility
              issue? Some webservers are not configured properly to play certain
              Quicktime files in a browser window...
            • Adam Quirk
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 30, 2005
                Doesn't play in QT6 for WindowsXP. That sucks.
              • Erik
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 30, 2005
                  264 only works with QT v7 which is only available on OSX 10.3.9 today

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 30, 2005
                    It works in VLC.
                    -Josh

                    On 4/30/05, Erik <erik@...> wrote:

                    > 264 only works with QT v7 which is only available on OSX 10.3.9 today
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • elunt
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2, 2005
                      If your blogging software doesn't supporting pinging automatically,
                      one cool tip is that you can create a bookmarklet that will ping
                      FeedBurner. Put it on your toolbar and just hit the button whenever
                      you do a post. Details here:
                      http://forums.feedburner.com/viewtopic.php?t=13

                      If you don't ping FeedBurner, your feed can be up to 30 minutes stale
                      -- but it should never be older than that.

                      Eric Lunt
                      FeedBurner.com
                      http://www.burningdoor.com/eric

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jan McLaughlin <vze4pnhk@v...>
                      wrote:
                      > http://pingomatic.com
                      >
                      > Posted here a while back that I "felt" that pinging brought my feed
                      > ANT more quickly.
                      >
                      > In the last days I've experimented with not pinging and can say
                      that
                      > the feeds didn't show up in 24 hours so this morning, I caved &
                      pinged.

                      > The nice thing about pingomatic is that it has not only pings many
                      > different sites, but includes links to a bunch of 'em so that those
                      of
                      > you who are new to casting can get there & set up accounts.
                      >
                      > Jan
                      >
                      > --
                      > "It isn't done alone" - Ian Watson, Love Detective & Staff Writer
                      > http://fauxpress.blogspot.comhttp://pingomatic.com/
                      >

                      > On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:59 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
                      >
                      > > Could you view this content using VLC? It wouldn't display in the
                      web
                      > > browser for me. I could try downloading and opening with VLC if
                      that
                      > > works...
                      > > -Josh
                      > >
                      > > On 4/29/05, Joash Chee <joashpbook@y...> wrote:
                      > >> For me, I'm using VLC on the Mac.
                      > >>
                      > >> - Joash

                    • Adrian Miles
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3, 2005
                        around the 29/4/05 Joshua Kinberg mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                        h.264 examples that:
                        >Hmmm, apparently need Quicktime 7 to view H.264 content. That's not
                        >very useful if its not backwards compatible...

                        it's a *new* codec, so no, it won't scale backwards. (bit like
                        thinking your b/w tv will now be colour because they're broadcasting
                        the signal in colour...) :-)
                        --
                        cheers
                        Adrian Miles