79529Good video file workflows & tools for distributed teams

  • Julian Seery Gude
    Sep 3, 2013
      Hi Gang,

      I'm increasingly working with video files and workflow with distributed
      teams where the content generator is often my client at one locale, a video
      editor at another location and a web producer at another locale who puts
      the final videos up on a website and the video platforms (YouTube, Vimeo,
      Wistia).

      How do you manage this at your company?

      My focus is a small business solution. I look forward to a day where *Adobe
      Anywhere* (which looks like exactly what I need) is available for Adobe
      Creative Cloud at a SMB friendly offering.

      I have three questions:

      - How do you like to move these big video files around?
      - Do you try to keep them in sync, (and if so, how)?
      - What ways do you coordinate the workflow (e.g. know when an editor is
      finished and video is ready for publication).

      I've tried dropbox and that works *OK*.

      I find that file syncing is problematic across 3-4 parties even though it *
      should* work. It's mostly problematic when a freelancer or client uses up
      their 2GB free storage limit.

      The new bittorrent sync app is tantalising because their technology is
      optimized to move big files around the web efficiently but the app is about
      as easy to use as a...well a video editing program. It's awful tough on
      clients.

      Is anyone using *github* or another file version control system?

      I've been going back to simple ftp lately on a web server for its
      reliability with silly naming conventions like this:

      1-ready-for-editing
      2-ready-for-publication
      3-ready-for-archive

      Would love to hear any ideas.