79043Re: [videoblogging] Creative Commons on YouTube finally

  • Mary Hodder
    Jun 2, 2011
      The reason YT is doing this is because their lawyers define the YT site as "commercial"
      so they are saying the videos all have to be commercial CC licenses because YT is showing them
      commercially.

      That's different than Flickr, which says the video or photo can be shown at Flickr and it's okay
      if it's licensed to the rest of the world as NC.. because the agreement is that Flickr can use
      and show them regardless... Flickr shares videos and photos through their API
      and through framing/embedding.. so you can embed the video or photo elsewhere.. but you can only
      do that if the user chooses the NC SA license. If the user chooses NC, Flickr won't even share
      a photo link through search or discovery (like a tags list) outside their own site.

      YT is different. They say you don't have to share the video outside (embedding rights)... so no SA requirement.. but you
      do have to allow for Commercial use.. because YT is a commercial site.

      They probably feel they are being more consistent than if they went with Flickr's interpretation and use of the CC rules.