504Re: [videoblogging] Re: Inner workings

  • Lucas Gonze
    Aug 1, 2004
      On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Adrian Miles wrote:>
      > On 01/08/2004, at 4:10 PM, Shannon Noble wrote:
      >

      >> I am greatly confused by the difference between the mp4 download vs.
      >> the .mov download and this is a great frustration. Naturally I want
      >> global access and return and immediate read/stream. So why does one
      >> format and browser show me immediate stream and another waits till the
      >> entire piece downloads as is such the case here. The mp4 file had to
      >> download completely and the .mov QT streamed immediately...I’m using
      >> Safari for this. Oye. My head is spinning.
      >
      > there isn't any difference. an mp4 is a particular file format as
      > ratified by the appropriate consortium. .mov is a file format used by
      > QuickTime. its liek the difference betwen rtf and doc, they're just
      > formats, both download just the same way.
      >
      > difference in presentation: one is fast start, the other probably
      > isn't. fast start means key data at head of file so video can play
      > before all data downloaded. non fast start means this data is not at
      > head of file so entire file needs to be downloaded before it can play.

      It might also be that the browser had to download the whole mp4 file
      before handing it off to the media player, which is an issue that comes up
      when you use an external helper app versus a plugin. That's why I wrote
      up how to make a playlist containing just the URL of the mp4 file.

      - Lucas