503Re: [videoblogging] Re: Inner workings

  • Adrian Miles
    Aug 1 5:40 PM
      On 01/08/2004, at 4:10 PM, Shannon Noble wrote:

      > I am greatly confused by the difference between the mp4 download vs.
      > the .mov download and this is a great frustration. Naturally I want
      > global access and return and immediate read/stream. So why does one
      > format and browser show me immediate stream and another waits till the
      > entire piece downloads as is such the case here. The mp4 file had to
      > download completely and the .mov QT streamed immediately...I’m using
      > Safari for this. Oye. My head is spinning.

      there isn't any difference. an mp4 is a particular file format as
      ratified by the appropriate consortium. .mov is a file format used by
      QuickTime. its liek the difference betwen rtf and doc, they're just
      formats, both download just the same way.

      difference in presentation: one is fast start, the other probably
      isn't. fast start means key data at head of file so video can play
      before all data downloaded. non fast start means this data is not at
      head of file so entire file needs to be downloaded before it can play.

      it isn't an issue at your end, but at the compression end.

      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic