3202Re: [videoblogging] Wahington Street Journal on Video Blogging

  • Steve Garfield
    Jan 3, 2005
      Great link, but the story paints a picture of videobloggers as those
      that take video without permission and redistribute it over the net for
      free.

      Even though is does touch on the fact that we're also creating original
      content of our own, it makes it seem like it's not really happening.

      Furthermore, I found it interesting that the newspaper got the $20k
      instead of the original videographer. Probably because he just gave
      the video away without any Creative Commons license on it.

      "The video, which shows an elderly couple overpowered by a wave, was
      filmed at the Kamala Beach Hotel near Phuket on Sunday morning by a
      31-year-old factory worker from Sweden named Tommy Lorentsen.

      Reached in Thailand, Mr. Lorentsen said he salvaged the tape from his
      camera after it was soaked and gave a copy to Fredrik Bornesand, a
      Stockholm police detective who appears in the footage trying to rescue
      the couple. Mr. Bornesand handed a CD of the clip to journalists with
      Norway's Dagbladet newspaper who then uploaded to their Web site on
      Monday.

      Dagbladet editor Oliver Orskaug says once the clip began circulating on
      Web blogs and forums "suddenly the networks were calling from Japan,
      Spain and France and everywhere to buy the video." He says within 12
      hours he sold rights to CNN, ABC News, and others for a total of about
      $20,000. Mr. Orskaug was not surprised bloggers grabbed the video
      without paying. "That's the Internet. We expect that would happen," he
      says."

      On Jan 3, 2005, at 8:04 AM, Andrew Baron wrote:

      > 01/02/2005
      >
      > The Video Blogging Era Has Begun
      >
      > Video Blogs Break Out With Tsunami Scenes
      >
      > By *ANTONIO REGALADO* and *JESSICA MINTZ*
      > *Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL*
      > January 3, 2005; Page B1
      >
      > Free link:
      > http://www.punditguy.com/2005/01/the_video_blogg.html
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links