1338Re: [videoblogging] question

  • Andreas Haugstrup
    Oct 2, 2004
      > off top of my head. QT has a text track type. This is just plain old
      > text. Could be an xml file, for example. Wouldn't it be cool if your
      > vog application extracted links automagically into a text track,
      > wrapped it up as XML, and then then made this available.

      That's a thing I would like very much. With HTML documents it's very easy
      to find links - just look for <a> elements that have an href-attribute.
      With QT it's as far as I know not possible to automatically extract links
      from the movie.

      As far as displaying links inside a QT movie I'm using SMIL right now.

      > What you and Lucas are discussing are way past my technical
      > competencies, but the sort of movies that David Wolf has been making
      > are potentially interesting. They read XML and display content
      > accordingly. So you could have a QT movie that reads a RSS feed (or any
      > other XML file) and that could display the other QT movies (or jpegs or
      > mpeg 4's, not windows media though) that are trackbacks, or pings. HTML
      > pages could just be text links since they'd be turned into text tracks
      > inside this QT movie.

      That's sortof what I'm doing with a SMIL playlist right now. Movies and
      audio are played directly in QT, and to the right of the movie there are
      links to HTML comments because HTML comments shouldn't/can't be played in
      QT.

      I must admit I'm a bit confused about the use for David Wolf's flickr QT
      movie. I can't see the use for using QT for a service that HTML is much
      better suited to handle. QT is better left to just handling audio/video
      content. Images and hypertext are best handled by browsers - after all
      that's what they're made to handle. :o)

      But I guess I would be less confused if the flickr viewer fetched movies
      instead of photos. :o)

      > Not sure if that makes sense, sort of day dreaming through these ideas,
      > and the possibilities. But yes, i want pings in my video that are
      > automatically extracted.

      Yeah, a couple of weeks ago I was browsing around Apple's Quicktime
      section, but I can't seem to figure this out. You would need to somehow
      write an application that opens and parses a QT movies and looks for any
      outgoing links. I would love to do this because then we could get this
      videoblogging started for real. Right now all outgoing links has to be in
      some HTML container document (that serves as the permalink). It's not
      ideal. The ideal would be to have the permalink assigned directly to the
      QT file.

      > Do you mean in the metadata for an entry? Where, how would i put this?
      > In MT would it go within the rdf that is attached to each post?

      Ideally it would go directly in the QT file, but that's not possible right
      now? For now normal links in the entry body in MT will suffice.

      - Andreas
      --
      Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk>
      File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/>