RE: [vg-8] Elephant topics (was VG-88 a disappointment to my ea rs - so far)

  • Nick Melnick
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2001
      >When you turn on your VG unit, WHO would like to see their favorite
      >patches in place of the factory ones - burned in and ready to go? Thus
      >leaving the open user slots for the stuff more transitory, or experimental.
      >Now granted, the -8 has smart cards for increased memory and versatility.

      As far as the '8 goes, this is possible. However, due to the way the patches
      are stored internally, a substituted patch may not 'fit', so some swapping
      of patch locations would be necessary. This may not please all users.
      This can be accomplished through the standard 'upgrade' procedure.
    • Rob New
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2001
        > >When you turn on your VG unit, WHO would like to see their favorite
        > >patches in place of the factory ones - burned in and ready to go? Thus

        Hi Nick,

        > This can be accomplished through the standard 'upgrade' procedure.

        Thanks for responding. So what I'm hearing you say is that by somehow
        putting my favorite patches into .mid format and using the S1 card, I can
        reprogram a certain number of 'static' factory patch locations within the -8
        with the my own - in effect, I can 'roll my own' VG-8?

        (giddiness rising - Ok, calm down, Calm DOWN!) Is that right? Hooooo!
        Boy, I'm glad I stayed with my VG-8! So, I guess the big issue is to get
        them into a .mid format? How does one do that? And, THEN get access to an
        S1 card.

        By chance does anyone know where the 'S1' patches start - I guess it would
        start at a certain 'bank' number?

        Makes sense now that I think about it - using the S1 card *would* be the
        most convenient way to do this.

        Any elaboration on this Nick would be appreciated.

        Thanks a bunch,
        Rob

        Shop online without a credit card
        http://www.rocketcash.com
        RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary
      • Nick Melnick
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2001
          >So what I'm hearing you say is that by somehow
          >putting my favorite patches into .mid format and using the S1 card, I can
          >reprogram a certain number of 'static' factory patch locations within the -8
          >with the my own - in effect, I can 'roll my own' VG-8?

          Yes - but this can only be done by decoding an upgrade .MID file
          or by going into maintenance mode on the '8 and dumping the OS to
          a program that will accept the data.
          It takes a fair amount of programming horsepower to get this to
          work since:

          o The file needs to be in .SYX format (to eliminate overhead)
          o The .SYX data needs to be converted from 7-bit to 8-bit format
          (uses the bit-shifting method)
          o An additional byte needs to be added to the new patch to specify
          the algorithm used.
          o The replacement patch must be selectively compressed (in Roland
          format) to fit, and it still may not fit (depending on the patch
          algorithm used) - in which case, it must be swapped with one that
          does fit.
          o Convert the modified file back to 7-bit format
          o Recalculate the checksums
          o Save the file (in .SYX format - again, low overhead)
          o Send it to the '8 as an upgrade (yes, you need an S1 card).

          Whew!
          Remember, you do this AT YOUR OWN RISK! Any errors in the file can
          lock your '8 up tighter than a drum (no pun intended).
          For anybody that would like to tackle this, I have a white paper describing
          the technical details of the above. If there is enough interest, perhaps
          Aure would be willing to post it on the site(?)

          PS
          Anybody out there have an '88 service manual that describes how to get it
          into maintenance mode?