Oct. 9th Big Band Hangar Dance

  • Alan Glasscock
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
      I would like to express my pleasure in playing for the Hangar Dance
      last Oct.9, '04.

      It was such a pleasure to play for such an upbeat crowd, numbering
      at an estimated 1000+ people. The band got to play a lot of new
      songs, as well as playing a lot of the more diffecult tunes in our
      library. And I was using a brand new lead trumpet, drummer and bass
      player, who had never played our book before, and they we
      phenomenal! Only with such high-quality players could we play some
      of the more demanding tunes, and the evening came off without a
      hitch (at least "musically speaking").

      In years past, we usually mixed up the tempos with some of the
      faster, mid-tempo and ballads that we feature. This being because
      the older dancers didn't like too many fast songs in a row, although
      the younger crowd of swing dancers would not have objected to that
      at all.

      But this year, the older crowd wanted more and more of the
      faster "killer dillers" (to use the jazz vernacular of the '40s!).
      One older gentlemen, after we played one of our Glenn Miller
      ballads, told me that we needed to "stop playing all the funeral
      music" and get on with the faster hot tunes in our book!

      And we were most happy to accomodate that request!

      It is always such a kick to play for a crowd that really appreciates
      our repertoire. And I want to publically thank Doc and Chuckie for
      wanting to continue to use my orchestra. They hired me sight unseen
      way back in 1993, at the suggestion of Bruce and Mary Fuhr. And our
      thanks also go out to Bruce and Mary for making that recommendation.

      The musicians who were on that very first hangar dance gig, many of
      which are still playing for me, were certainly taken aback by the
      atmosphere and decorations that night. One of my trombone players,
      Curt Bradshaw, made the comment that the entire hangar looked like a
      Hollywood soundstage! And indeed it did, and still does!

      Also of interest, and unbeknownst to me until the night of the last
      hangar dance, all four of my trumpet players either are or were
      aviators! What are the chances of that occuring on any other gig we
      play? In fact, my new lead trumpet player is an acrobatic pilot and
      is ranked #3 in the nation for his abilities up in the "wqild blue
      yonder!"

      We are certainly looking forward to next year's hangar dance!

      Most sincerely,
      Alan Glasscock
      The Alan Glasscock Orchestra
    • Planedancer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
        In a message dated 10/31/2004 4:24:55 PM Central Standard Time, swingband2000@... writes:

[...]

        Thanks for including me in your email.  While I was rather sick that night (sinuses), I was a ticket taker and finally had about 1/2 hr to enjoy the evening before leaving.  I was fortunate enough to have some friends ask me to dance, which I had to decline, due to my condition, but I SO MUCH enjoyed the music (and if you knew me, you'd know I never sit down when great music is playing!).

        You guys were great, and this is from a 50 yr. old gal who grew up with
        Guy Lombardo/Waldorf Astoria every New Year's Eve!

        I am happy to hear that you will become an institution at the Hangar dance, and look forward to being healthier, and in "dance form" next year!

        As for your aviator musical members, well, as a fellow pilot, I can appreciate their extra dedication to this particular event!  As a former aerobatic judge, WHO IS THIS GUY????

        We are all "special" in that realm, and none are more special to those

        of us who love the "antique airplanes" than Doc and Chuckie!

        Melanie
        Rhome (Ft. Worth) TX

        To most, the sky's the limit - to those who love aviating, it's home