VFM Defender Update

  • Mike Tolfa
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
    Hello All,

    We were off this last week because of other projects at the museum. Here is the report from 4/6/13. Sue Bornhoeft did a great job making the replacement piece for the left outbaord rib. Now that this is done we can assemble the rib and then complete the repairs to the left wing tip

    Come out and help!

    Thanks,
    Mike
  • Mike Tolfa
    Message 2 of 14 , May 26, 2013
    Hello All,

    Yesterday we started shaping the front left spar tip repair. We drew the layout on the spar. Next we alinged and clamped steel shaping guides. We used hand plane, belt sander and sanding block for shaping. Many thanks to Bill Gorin, James Flair and Sergio Harbrink

    Next steps are to complete shaping and weld tabs to the new steel wing tip bow. this will allow us to complete repairs to the left wing tip.

    Come out and help!

    Thanks,
    Mike
  • Mike Tolfa
    Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2013
    The left wing spar tip repairs are complete! Both spars have been spliced and shaped. Daniel Urbanski and Will O'Connor were the true stars. Shaping the spars with a using draw knife, plane and sanders.

    Next steps are the
    Weld Wingtip Bow Tabs
    Make Improvedbutt rib
    Install trailing edge

    Come out and help and have fun on the Defender

    Mike