Re: [vfm] VFM Defender Update [4 Attachments]

  • Daniel Urbanski
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2012
      Looks good Mike, I went to the museum Sunday and saw the real thing. You guys are doing a good job.
      If you need some help with the finish shape, let me know, I have some tools that might make it easier to complete.

      Regards

      Daniel Urbanski

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2013
        Thanks Daniel. You are now conscripted!

      • paraplanemike@lycos.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2013
        Hello All,

        We have rough cut all rear spar tip doublers and both replacement rear spar tips. We have also cut the steel to make a final spar sanding jig. David King and Leo Clevenger were our star contributors this Saturday. Photos attached.

        Next steps are to loosen the outboard ribs, sand varnish off of spar, epoxy all together and clamp.

        WE NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS! Come out and get dirty!

        Does anyone know an aircraft certificated welder/brazer who can volunteer to weld small tabs on our new wing tips?

        Thanks,
        Mike
      • paraplanemike@lycos.com
        Message 4 of 14 , Jan 13, 2013
        Hello All,

        It was a good Saturday. We:

        Removed left outboard leading edge sheet metal. We need to fabricate a new one to match the original dimensions after the tip repair.
        Removed left outboard rib. Found we are missing front diagonal member. We will fabricate one
        Removed front spar upper outboard cap
        Removed front spar lower outboard cap
        Sanded read spar sides to prepare for epoxying.

        Leo Clevenger did all the front spar and leading edge work. Thanks Leo.

        Please come out have fun and get dirty working on the Defender

        Mike
      • miket_flyer
        Message 5 of 14 , Jan 27, 2013
        Hello All,

        Recent Progress Made

        1/19/13
        We tapered the rear spar doublers. Sanded left rear spar repair piece to match original spar thickness. Discussed with Curt Landrum (A&P instructor at Tarrant County College) the approach for repairing spar and placement of outboard rib. Ian Lavigne and Susan Bornhoeft were doing great work.

        1/26/13
        Sanded the front Left spar tip in preparation for repair.

        Images attached

        Thanks,
        Mike
      • miket_flyer
        Message 6 of 14 , Feb 10, 2013
        Hello All,

        It was a good Saturday. We:

        Trimmed the front spar hole plug
        Finish sanded the front spar repair area.
        Started on the front spar Tip Repair Template

        New voluteers Jade Xay and Andrew Gabel did a great job. Photos attached.

        Please come out have fun and get dirty working on the Defender

        Mike
      • Mike Tolfa
        Message 7 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
        Hello All,

        Planed and tweaked new Front left spar tip replacement piece. it is ready to bond

        Setup new planer and router in the wood shop.

        Larry Henderson was our wood class instructor and spar tip magician today

        Come out and help us out

        Thanks,
        Mike
      • James Reynolds

          Message 9 of 14 , Mar 31, 2013
          Hello All,

          This Saturday we did lots of material experimenting with outboard rib repair. Sue Bornhoeft and Bill Gorin were the mad scientists. Tonight I ordered the 6061 tube and sheet so we can move forward with repair next Saturday

          Thanks,
          Mike
        • Mike Tolfa
          Message 10 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
          Hello All,

          We were off this last week because of other projects at the museum. Here is the report from 4/6/13. Sue Bornhoeft did a great job making the replacement piece for the left outbaord rib. Now that this is done we can assemble the rib and then complete the repairs to the left wing tip

          Come out and help!

          Thanks,
          Mike
        • Mike Tolfa
          Message 11 of 14 , May 26 8:23 AM
          Hello All,

          Yesterday we started shaping the front left spar tip repair. We drew the layout on the spar. Next we alinged and clamped steel shaping guides. We used hand plane, belt sander and sanding block for shaping. Many thanks to Bill Gorin, James Flair and Sergio Harbrink

          Next steps are to complete shaping and weld tabs to the new steel wing tip bow. this will allow us to complete repairs to the left wing tip.

          Come out and help!

          Thanks,
          Mike
        • Mike Tolfa
          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 9, 2013
          The left wing spar tip repairs are complete! Both spars have been spliced and shaped. Daniel Urbanski and Will O'Connor were the true stars. Shaping the spars with a using draw knife, plane and sanders.

          Next steps are the
          Weld Wingtip Bow Tabs
          Make Improvedbutt rib
          Install trailing edge

          Come out and help and have fun on the Defender

          Mike