Help the VFM save CH-21B 53-04324 "Shakey Magoo"!!

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2012

      I'm sure that most of you who follow us here on the VFM Yahoo Group have read the news about our plans to acquire a CH-21B "Flying Banana" helicopter.  I spoke to the folks at the Naval Museum in Pensacola today about getting it placed on loan to the Vintage Flying Museum and all we need to do is submit a formal request letter for it and then it will go through channels.  If all goes well, they will approve our request.  At this point with our past, superior track record with having items on loan from the Navy (several engines, the L-5 on the ceiling and the EA-3B), it's mostly just a matter of going through the process.  I see no reason why they wouldn't approve our request to bring it to the hangar and have it displayed indoors for the first time in 40 years!

      Now that we have made the decision to take on this project, the real work begins.  We need to raise money to pay for the following:

      • $3000.00 for transportation from Blossom, TX to Vintage Flying Museum (150 miles via 18 wheeler flatbed)
      • ~ $ 300.00 for tires  (I'll have a firm number once I find out what size tires we need)
      • Approx. $500.00 for manuals
      • TBD amount for replacing the broken LH lower nose bubble plexiglas
      • TBD amount for restoring the rotor blades
      • Approximately $20,000 for a new paint job
      • Money for misc supplies (solvent, rags, paint, brushes, etc)

      If we can raise $5000.00 initially, that will cover the transportation, new  tires and initial clean-up efforts.

      We realize that Christmas is just around the corner and budgets are tight, but if you can spare $5, $10, $20 or more we would greatly appreciate it.  All donations are tax deductible, so it's a nice end of the year tax deduction!  If you would like to sponsor a specific item (tires for example) you can!  Everyone who donates for this project will have thier name listed on the sponsor board next to the aircraft.  For those who are able to do Corporate sponsorships we will be more than happy to identify your company with your logo as a sponsor!

      You can donate three ways:

      • By clicking on the PayPal link on the left side of the musuem home page www.vintageflyingmuseum.org
        • Be sure to click on the "Add special instructions to the seller" box and type in "Flying Banana" so we know your donation is for the CH-21B
      • By mailing a check to 505 N.W. 38th Street Fort Worth, Texas 76106 and put "Flying Banana" on the memo line
      • By stopping by the museum and making a donation in person, again be sure to mention that it's for the "Flying Banana"

      Thanks to all of our generous members and supporters the Vintage Flying Museum continues to grow and tell the amazing history of aviation and educate generations to come!

      Thank you,
      Bill Gorin
      Chief of Maintenance