Stateside training aircraft

  • Morgan Montalvo
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
      As our CAP unit continues to refine its secondary function as a living history troupe, we've begun collecting imagery of Stateside training bases in the Southwest, etc. I've also purchased some yearbook-type histories of various training classes, but we're also interested in finding photos of combat crew training aircraft, such as earlier models of bombers and fighters used to prep airmen for duty overseas.

      Seems there are plenty of shots of basic/primary/advanced T-6s and Vultees and Ryans and Beeches, but I'm finding it hard to find photos of advanced training B-17s, B-24s, B-25s, etc., in Stateside training unit markings,

      The few shots I have run across usually show aircraft with large number or letter-number combinations on the fwd fuselage or nose, and standard OD-over-grey livery.

      Anyone know of sources for same?

      Thx in advance,
      Morgan

      From: hq918bg@... <hq918bg@...>
      Subject: [armyaircorpsWWII] B-17 Photos
      To: armyaircorpsWWII@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, December 2, 2011, 7:08 AM

      A very cool set of photographs of a gorgeous B-17 "Flying Fortress".
      Col Dan
    • West Sanders

        From: hq918bg@... <hq918bg@...>
        To: armyaircorpsWWII@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, December 2, 2011, 7:08 AM

        A very cool set of photographs of a gorgeous B-17 "Flying Fortress".
        Col Dan
      • Geoffrey Wilkes Sr
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011

          From: hq918bg@... <hq918bg@...>
          To: armyaircorpsWWII@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, December 2, 2011, 7:08 AM

          --
          Jeff Wilkes
          Senior Major Account Executive
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
            I have a picture of a B-25 flying in formation from when my Grandfather was an instructor if that will help. I also have a couple of pictures of him and his training class. My Great-Uncle flew a B-18 for a time in Alaska and I have photos of that as well.

            Brett

            From: hq918bg@... <hq918bg@...>
            To: armyaircorpsWWII@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Friday, December 2, 2011, 7:08 AM

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
              Brett:

              Yes, please!

              And thanks to all who sent the other links.

              Goal: to portray personnel representative of a Southwestern training base -- mechanics, WAAC/WAC admin, MP, base photog, instructors, trainees, and (for the moment) one old WW1 retread Svc Pilot. We'd like to have visual material other than just militaria to convey locale and mood, hence the photo inquiry. Not to mention, training unit photos make for a refreshing diversion from invasion stripes, mission tallies and kill markings and offer equally fresh ideas for plastic modeling.

              We're pretty much sold on representing troops from San Marcos Army Air Field as 1) I used to live in SM, still own a home there, I know a lot about the facility's history and 2) most of my cadets will be at Texas State next year, so the choice was pretty obvious. SMAAF was a navigator training base with Twin Beeches and, I'm confident, all manner of hack and transit aircraft. I'm trying to confirm that C-60s were also based there.

              Coincidentally, I've also got a friend here in San Antonio who portrays a bang-on convincing navigator and we plan to approach him about joining us as our navigator chief instructor/supervisor.

              Home Front/Stateside gives us a lot of wiggle room with the hope of attracting my fellow 40- and 50-and above reenactors looking for age-appropriate impressions, along with others who might like to portray civilians or base workers (fedora or vintage baseball cap, period work shirt, khaki pants or overalls, work boots, lunch pail), etc. -- no pressure to get all dolled up in a military costume if one doesn't want to, or shell out for all the high-dollar togs and baubles in this economy. A training base collective impression offers the ladies all kinds of opportunities.

              The Stateside idea has my wife excited about living history for the first time in years; a lot has to do with my cadets and my step-sons getting along so well and, thanks to last month's San Marcos dinner dance, now Swing dance networking.

              Naturally, we won't turn away any "visiting" or "transient" personnel, such as Marines, WAVES, sailors, even POWs in transit (under guard, we hope) you name it.

              Within the concept is the desire to create fellowship through the hobby without individuals feeling the pressures of stitch-counting or hand-wringing over not having "all the right toys."

              Can't go any further without saying that we're looking to the Ariz Ground Crews guys for inspiration and maintaining the proper outlook -- credit where credit is due!

              Anyone else interested in something Stateside AAF-related as a networking undertaking, perhaps across the state or region? The more, the merrier!

              Thx,
              Morgan

              From: hq918bg@... <hq918bg@...>
              To: armyaircorpsWWII@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Friday, December 2, 2011, 7:08 AM

              A very cool set of photographs of a gorgeous B-17 "Flying Fortress".
              Col Dan

            • Mark Pritchard
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2011

                http://www.bftsmuseum.org/ (plays video first)

                This is a small museum outside of the airport in Terrell TX (East of Dallas). They trained British Flyers for the war effort...

                Mark S. Pritchard

                From: hq918bg@... <hq918bg@...>
                To: armyaircorpsWWII@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Friday, December 2, 2011, 7:08 AM