Re: [vfm] Trip to Lubbock in Southern Cross to see CG-4 Glider

  • oldtrumpet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hey -

          I'm glad ya'll are going to get to see the CG-4A.  I went to see it in the old location a few years ago and, when I told the guy in charge my uncle had flown one across the Rhine, he permitted me to go aboard and sit in the pilot's seat.

        As a new Navy recruit at Austin in July 1945 I was sent to Bergstrom USAF base of X-rays. When someone asked our group if we'd like to ride in a local transport flight we all yelled, "Yes!"

      I got to the plane too late to get aboard and was mighty disappointed....until we late-comers were asked if we'd like to ride the glider the C-47 was going to tow for a check flight.  Of course, I was first in line.  Apparently, Bergstrom had a full-time operation going, overhauling CG-4A's with too many hours logged.

      Needless to say, it was a real thrill, especially when we cut loose from the tow-line after half-an-hour-or-so of roaming the nearby skies.  I'd give anything now to have had an 8 mm movie camera along that day. (I suppose MP's would have taken, if I had, though.)  The wonderful memory remains, anyway!