      From: vfm@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vfm@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of quantumfrog1966 .
      Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 7:22 PM
      To: vfm@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [vfm] Exciting News at VFM!

      Hi, Bill...will the PBY be based at VFM and what is the timeline for acquisition?

      On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM, <bill.gorin@...> wrote:

      Hello Vintage Flying Museum Supporters!

      I wanted to let you know about some exciting news happening at the Vintage Flying Museum.  Last Friday, Chuckie received a call from the Squadron Leader of the Commemorative Air Force B-29/B-24 Squadron asking if they could relocate from the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, Texas to the Vintage Flying Museum!  Of course we said YES!  So the Vintage Flying Museum is going to be the home of the only flying B-29 Superfortress, "FIFI" and one of only two flying B-24 Liberators, "Diamond Lil"!

      Cavanaugh Flight Museum is expanding their collection, adding a PBY Catalina and moving an HU-16 Albatross that they have owned for several years to Addison.  In order to make room for these two large aircraft, they needed the space being occupied by the B-29 and B-24.

      We are only going to be temporary home for the two aircraft.  The CAF is in the process of choosing a new location for their headquarters, currently located in Midland, Texas.  They have been scouting different airports and the 3 finalists are Dallas Executive (formerly Redbird), Sherman-Denison, and Ellington Field down in Houston.  Once the new headquarters is chosen and a new facility constructed, FIFI and Diamond Lil will relocate there.  This is expected to be in about 3 years, so we have the privilege of hosting these historic aircraft until that time.

      FIFI is headed out on an airshow tour in Florida and won't be at the VFM until early April.  However the B-24, "Diamond Lil", is expected to arrive from Midland, this Tuesday.  She will be moved to the back corner of the hangar where they will do the annual on her so she can join "FIFI" on tour.  She is expected to be at the hangar until the beginning of June.  Both aircraft will be at the hangar in April and May.

      This is a tremendous opportunity for the VFM as these two aircraft will bring many more visitors and publicity to the museum.  Like most good things, they come after some hard work, and I want to thank everyone who has come out last weekend and this to help move airplanes, and clean out rooms to make room for our CAF friends.  There is more work to go, so please come on out and get your hands on some history!  For more information about the CAF B-29/B-24 Squadron click on the link http://www.cafb29b24.org/

      Thank you all!

      Bill Gorin

      Chief of Maintenance

      Vintage Flying Museum

      --

      "When you help, you see life as weak.  When you fix, you see life as broken.  When you serve, you see life as whole.  Fixing and helping may be the work of the ego, but serving is the work of the soul."

                                    - - Rachel Naomi Remen

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic