[veterans] Re: Information request:

  • DRHCWO4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2000
      Dave,

      Just read your e-mail posted to veterans e-groups and found it quite
      interesting that you know about this. I also know about this and I have a
      book written by Captain C.Raymond Calhoun (Ret.) titled Typhoon: The Other
      Enemy. Captain Calhoun was the Commanding Officer of the USS Dewey during
      the transit and was in the same battle group as were the other three lost
      ships. Its a great book and riveting account of what happened to some very
      brave sailors.

      I'm a retired Chief Warrant Officer (W-4) and I spent 26 years in the Navy
      serving our wonderful country. I've been retired now for 4 years and I'm
      working harder than ever now, trying with my brother to build a successful
      plumbing business. When I was a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy I taught
      Damage Control and Fire Fighting to the fleet sailors at Fleet Training
      Center, San Diego. During my tenure their I taught Stability and Buoyancy to
      young Junior Officers and some senior enlisted. A good friend of mine at
      that time was a pilot who flew P-3 Orion aircraft for the Navy and he had
      this book which he gave to me. I used it quite often during my classes as a
      lesson learned concerning the stability and buoyancy of Navy ships. I know
      that I learned a great deal by reading the book. When I made Chief Warrant
      Officer I became a Damage Control Assistant for my first tour and subsequent
      tours. I dealt extensively with stability and buoyancy of Navy ships and it
      was not only very interesting to teach to the fleet but also to get hands on
      as a DCA on board Navy ships. I miss that today. Plumbing is good for the
      heart and soul, but I really miss serving my country on the ocean!

      Now that I've talked too much I hope that this is what you are looking for.
      My e-mail address is: drhcwo4@...

      Talk to you later, Dan