Re: [veterans] Missing in America

  • veterans
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      A based-on based-on movie, November 26, 2006
      Reviewer: Ken Mcnamara (Pittsboro, IN USA) - See all my reviews

      This movie is an example of what happens when you depend on the entertainment industry for your history lessons. The person that wrote this script picked up every stereotype and myth about Viet Nam and Viet Nam veterans and wove it into the story.
      I guess you have to keep in mind that even when this industry tries to do factual stories they resort to the phrase 'based on' to excuse their careless handling of facts - in this case they have a 'based-on' 'based-on' movie.
      I'm amazed that any actor, actress, or director could have read this script and agreed to perform such trash.
      The idea that the woods are full of poor, crazed Viet Nam veterans - suffering from the trauma of killing children in Viet Nam is just silly.
      It's a fact (check the 2000 census) that while 10% of the population live below the poverty line - only 5% of veterans do.
      Can't get past Glover's public political persona, September 26, 2006
      Reviewer: Kim "Kim" (Franklin, TN USA) - See all my reviews
      This movie could have been 5 stars for me but I couldn't get past Glover and his public statements about our country. Good actors make you believe in the character they are playing, but when they become political lightning rods it becomes more difficult to ever identify with a character they play. I believe, for instance, the Dixie Chicks had a right to say what they did but I cannot stand their music as a result...same goes for Glover. Too bad they chose him for this movie because the film's message is so important, true and sad.
      Hugo Chavez Lover (Danny Glover) Should Be Missing in America, September 21, 2006
      Reviewer: Anonymous (USA) - See all my reviews
      Danny Glover, clearly a lover of the friggin' idiot president of Venezuela, should simply leave this country if he hates it so much.
      Continuing the idiotic saga of crazy Vietnam vets,
      Author: okieindian from United States

      Another disgraceful misrepresentation of Vietnam Vets, put together by a woman producer (male writer must be a real weirdo as well) who gives away her "position" by stating that the vets were MURDERING children. More of the Baby Killer crap. Don't know who's fantasy (the writer or the producer or Mr Glover) was fulfilled by having Linda Hamilton fall in love love with the elderly black crazy Vietnam Vet after peeking at him bathing nude, outdoors in the moonlight. The movie is a slap in the face to every honorable veteran who served in Vietnam, and a crutch for every whining nutcase who wants to blame Vietnam for his shortcomings. There might be a few hundred idiots living as shown here, but insults the millions of Vietnam vets who are living decent and productive lives. The movie had an opportunity to be a great one, good lines, good plot, good acting, but those who put it together used it as a vehicle for their weird political views and lost the story. As a Vietnam Vet I
      will be sure to tell all my friends about it and my report to them will be "It sucks"...

      wndbear@... wrote:

      In a message dated 12/30/2006 4:25:10 P.M. Central America Standard ,
      _uz2bface@..._ (mailto:uz2bface@...) writes:

      Someone sent an email about the movie Missing in America. I just watched it
      and all I can say is it won't soon be forgotten...

      Val
      Valerie K. Cortazzo
      Acting Director, Coalition of Veterans Advocates
      Disabled Veteran, US Navy

      ========

      Glad you liked it Valerie ..... when I saw it, it affected me as well ...
      causing me to sit down and write the essay "AN EPIPHANY". Its my hope that
      all veterans everywhere will take its message to heart!
      If no one takes up the charge for our kids and grandkids, who will?

      Steve Mungie
      Navy "River Rat", Vietnam 1968
      100% SC Disabled
      _Wndbear@..._ (mailto:Wndbear@...)

      The original message ........................................

      From Steve Mungie, _Wndbear@..._ (mailto:Wndbear@...)
      SUBJECT: AN EPIPHANY!

      This letter is long, but I believe well worth your time to read.
      Please consider this information, and pass it along to other Veterans.
      Thank you.

      ATTENTION VETERANS ....

      Copyright Dec 2006, Steve Mungie

      An "Epiphany" ... (noun) a sudden and unexpected answer to a undefined
      problem. That sudden "eureka!" moment, when something so simple comes into
      view (the proverbial "lightbulb" above your head!). That long awaited
      solution to a problem that never realized existed ..... Well, you get the
      picture, I'm sure.

      Before I explain what I mean, allow me please to tell you a short story
      ..... A few nights ago, my wife and I went to "Blockbuster" and rented a small,
      little known obscure "Indie" video called "MISSING IN AMERICA", starring Danny
      Glover. It was NOT outstanding, or anything special in its production
      values, but its most unusual storyline hits straight into the heart ...
      especially and probably because I am a VIETNAM COMBAT VETERAN, who suffers from
      profound PTSD.

      Unless you have profound nightmares, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ALL VETS (AND
      FAMILIES) SEE IT ... as well as parents should see it .... as it explains literally
      , many of the problems that Vietnam Vets suffer. PLEASE RENT THIS MOVIE
      ... IT IS WORTH WHATEVER IT MAY COST YOU. THE MESSAGE IS OUTSTANDING, THOUGH
      ... HEARTBREAKING!

      When we came home from the jungles of Vietnam, we were for the most part,
      shunned by our peers, and the nation as a whole. Granted, some fit back into
      the society well, yet many other did not, and today still do not; it was
      stated that on any given day, as many as 200,000 veterans are HOMELESS
      in America!

      Many, like myself, felt slighted because instead of the parades and
      acceptance that the generations before us enjoyed, the Vietnam Vets came home to a
      country that just didn't care! WE SIMPLY, WERE QUIETLY "TUCKED AWAY", AND
      IGNORED, UNTIL THE PROBLEMS BEGAN TO MANIFEST THEMSELVES! This feeling still
      exists, even today, among many of our brethren.

      OKAY ,.... all is well, until all of a sudden ... VIOLA! An epiphany

      RIGHT NOW ... today, the 2006-07 holiday season, there exists NOW, MORE
      disabled combat veterans, coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan, than came home
      from our war in Vietnam. It is "guess-timated" that in reality (regardless
      what the Bush Regime's Propaganda Ministry will tell us) that there is
      ROUGHLY about 5000 men and women who have been killed in action, or missing in
      action, and well over 200,000 wounded. Of those, the actual number of
      permanently disabled is yet unknown.

      In the closing moments of the MISSING IN AMERICA film, the Vietnam Memorial
      Wall is displayed, with a scene that will bring tears to the eyes of even the
      hardest of the hard-hearted veterans. What effected me the most is ....
      WHAT ABOUT THE VETS COMING HOME FROM Mr. BUSH's WARS?

      And then it occurred to me ... will they have a "Wall" to honor their
      sacrifices? Will America provide them the parades and accolades that we were
      denied? Will they simply be dumped on America's streets, just like we were?

      WE ALREADY KNOW FROM OUR OWN EXPERIENCES, THAT THE VETERAN'S ADMINISTRATION
      MEDICAL CARE SYSTEM WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CARE FOR ALL OF THEM, AND MANY WILL
      END UP TAKING THEIR OWN LIVES, BECAUSE AMERICA FAILED (OR WILL FAIL) TO CARE

      Keep in mind, those returning Vets are our children and grandchildren!!!
      They are the ones who will fill our shoes, when we are gone ... they are the
      ones who will "carry on" our heritage!

      I am convinced that the Bush Regime, and likely, the administration that
      replaces it, will want to put the Iraqi-Afghani fiascos behind them (just like
      they did with Vietnam, in 1975), and sweep under the rug, everything possible,
      so that "we can recover" our dignity!

      The prevailing logic will arise (as it did back in the late 70's) ... to
      hell with the vets ... they need to "git over it"! That is why I guess, this
      sudden "epiphany" hit me, dead-center between the eyes!

      Now maybe I am being too idealistic, and maybe its my hidden desire for that
      "parade" I never had. Maybe so, but then, maybe that is what we ALL need.

      ONLINE, I have guessed that there are about at the very least, 100 or more
      "veterans-related" groups, many of which deal with everything from PTSD, to
      Veteran's Rights, to Memories, and so on. On many occasions, I can remember
      JERE BEERY (the founder of the original FIREBASE NETWORK) suggesting an
      assortment of Projects that the Firebase, and the "Firing For Effect" groups might
      consider. Well, Vets, here's an idea who's time just might be here ...
      please hear about this ...... "epiphany", and let's see what we can do about it!

      Just as JAN SCRUGGS ("google" his name!) got the "avalanche" started,
      which resulted in the creation of the VIETNAM WALL MEMORIAL, I'd like to
      "plant the seed" here and now, to do something special for our fellow vets .....

      Because they can't .. and because Bush won't ... America's SENIOR Vets MUST
      organize, and let US build their memorial for them! Let US create a new
      "wall" for the kids who shed innocent blood for another failed war for
      Imperialism. Let US do it for our kids!

      I CHALLENGE ALL VETERANS to do something that will bring PRIDE, DIGNITY, AND
      HONOR BACK TO OUR RANKS ...

      FURTHER, I CHALLENGE "FIRING FOR EFFECT" TO BECOME THE CLEARING HOUSE FOR
      THIS PROJECT! All groups should consider joining together, as the "power lies
      in the numbers" ... no one group can do this alone!

      LET'S BUILD THE IRAQI-AFGHANI VETERANS MEMORIAL .... and show the Critters
      wallowing in the sewer that is Washington, where the real power lies!

      Consider, it took NINE YEARS from the end of the Vietnam War, before the
      "WALL" opened to the public! Let's not wait that long to honor our latest
      generation of Veterans.

      PLEASE CIRCUKLATE THIS LETTER WOIRLDWIDE, TO ALL OF AMERICA'S VETERANS, of
      all wars, we have been involved in .... ALL VETERANS!

      Suggestions, Recommendation, and Comments please! Let's get this
      "avalanche" moving!

      Thank you and May God Bless All

      Steve Mungie
      _Wndbear@..._ (mailto:Wndbear@...)
      "Wounded Bear"
      _http://hometown.aol.com/wndbear/_ (http://hometown.aol.com/wndbear/)

      US Navy 1964-1970
      "River Rat", VIETNAM 1968-69
      100% Disabled COMBAT Veteran

      US Army Retired 1970-1986

    • val
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        Stats say that there are over 200,000 homeless veterans and a great many of them are Nam vets. I work in this area and just held a benefit to assist the 600 (6 Iraq) veterans living on the streets in Pittsburgh alone. One is too many. That said, you have to remember this is a movie and although the woods may not be the best portrayal of this situation it is still a problem.

        Val
        Valerie K. Cortazzo
        Acting Director, Coalition of Veterans Advocates
        Disabled Veteran, US Navy
        Member, DAV, American Legion, Rolling Thunder PA Chapter 4