Venezuela Dictator Vows to Bring Down U.S. Government, Venezuela government is sole owner of Citgo gasoline company

  • veterans
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2006
      Venezuela Dictator Vows to Bring Down U.S. Government
      Venezuela government is sole owner of Citgo gasoline company

      Update: Variants circulating since November 2006 claim that some Citgo stations have changed their name to Petro Express in order to avoid being boycotted. One message states that "Petro Express is also 100% owned by Chavez." This is false.
      Petro Express is a chain of gas stations/convenience stores wholly owned by a U.S. company based in North Carolina. Until recently, Petro Express did sell gasoline purchased from Citgo Petroleum Corp., but the company announced in October 2006 that it would phase out the Citgo product from all of its 66 stations by 2007.
      Comments: Is it just me, or has this whole notion of trying to punish countries and companies we don't like by boycotting their products at the gas pump reached the pinnacle of absurdity?
      In the present case we are asked to eschew gasoline from Citgo, a subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned petroleum company, because that nation's president has made anti-American statements. Sounds straightforward enough, but another very popular email flier says we shouldn't buy gas from the Middle East because terrorists come from that region (in fact, Citgo is named as a preferred alternative to these brands). Yet another forwarded message calls for a one-day boycott of all brands of gasoline to let OPEC know we're fed up with inflated prices. What's a consumer to do?

      Further confusing the issue is the fact that most of these companies import crude oil from more than one region, they trade supplies back and forth to meet demand, and they share pipelines as it suits them -- meaning, ultimately, that no matter where you buy your gas, you can never really be sure what country it came from. Case in point: According to U.S. Department of Energy records for 2005, BP, Chevron, Conoco, Exxon Mobil, and Valero, to name but a few, all bought crude oil imported from Venezuela.
      The upshot? By all means, boycott Citgo gasoline if your conscience moves you to, but bear in mind that if you continue to use gasoline at all, whatever the brand, you can't help but put money in Hugo Chavez's pocket. According to industry sources, the folks most likely to be hurt by such a boycott are the independent U.S. owners of Citgo-branded stations, not the Venezuelan government.

      http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_citgo_boycott.htm

    • Art Garland Sr
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        Well, it may well be true, that independent operators will be hurt, but if
        they hurt enough, they will change brands of gas they sell. We need to see
        the label CITGO disappear from the American countryside and if we band
        together, we can make it happen.

        Art

[...]

        HYPERLINK
        "http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_citgo_boycott.htm"http://urbanlege
        nds.about.com/library/bl_citgo_boycott.htm