[veterans] VA Budget Deficit at VAMC Memphis

  • Phil McMillin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 1998
      I am a disabled Vietnam veteran, who was in need of a wheel chair from the
      VAMC Memphis. I recieved a chair alright, a standard issue wheel chair.
      Well, he got his chair so what's the gripe, you may ask? I have back
      problems along with nerve damage to both legs and arms with a bad
      accumulation of artritis throughout my body, starting from the neck on down.
      The chair, mentioned above is too small for a 6'2" frame. No back support
      doesn't help much either. Naturally a custom ordered chair will cost the
      VAMC more money as they are operating at this very moment under the umbrella
      of a deficit created by Washington. In all fairness to the VAMC Memphis I
      could have recieved a chair if the Doc had added a notation to the order
      stating that I am in the chair 100% of the time.
      I couldn't walk and a cane was useless, but they did give me a chair, small
      and uncomfortable as it is, I have a chair.
      Congress, as you all know creates the situations within the VA that only
      Congress can remove. Please write your Congressman (I called mine). We
      Vets from every war or in the Vietnam Veteran's case, conflict, need to not
      only band together as a single fighting force but as individuals also...the
      battle is raging men and women, so let's get off our butts and get with it.

      Philip D. McMillin
      mcjoker@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 1999
        <001001be0787$c3ae1de0$a68df0c-@...> wrote:
        Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/veterans/?start=1
        > I am a disabled Vietnam veteran, who was in need of a wheel chair from the
        > VAMC Memphis. I recieved a chair alright, a standard issue wheel chair.
        > Well, he got his chair so what's the gripe, you may ask? I have back
        > problems along with nerve damage to both legs and arms with a bad
        > accumulation of artritis throughout my body, starting from the neck on down.
        > The chair, mentioned above is too small for a 6'2" frame. No back support
        > doesn't help much either. Naturally a custom ordered chair will cost the
        > VAMC more money as they are operating at this very moment under the umbrella
        > of a deficit created by Washington. In all fairness to the VAMC Memphis I
        > could have recieved a chair if the Doc had added a notation to the order
        > stating that I am in the chair 100% of the time.
        > I couldn't walk and a cane was useless, but they did give me a chair, small
        > and uncomfortable as it is, I have a chair.
        > Congress, as you all know creates the situations within the VA that only
        > Congress can remove. Please write your Congressman (I called mine). We
        > Vets from every war or in the Vietnam Veteran's case, conflict, need to not
        > only band together as a single fighting force but as individuals also...the
        > battle is raging men and women, so let's get off our butts and get with it.
        >
        > Philip D. McMillin
        > mcjoker@...

        Philip, did you ever get a new chair? Did you go back to the Doc?
        Roger

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/veterans