diamondback terrapin

  • Treeswallow5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 26, 2012
      Today around 2 PM on the Wareham/Marion town line, as I was crossing the Weweantic River, I saw a diamondback terrapin trying to cross the four lanes.....I pulled a Jason Statham "Transporter" -type U-turn immediately and went back, parked in the middle lane with flashers going (it really wasn't that dramatic, as no cars were coming yet) and snatched her up. But as I carried her back to the car, her head was tucked in, blood dripped down, and the back legs dangled.

      Damn!! One car too late!!...

      I place her on the mat under my feet and sped off to the home of a couple of turtle experts who just happen to live in Marion. Susan Weiber Nourse and Don Lewis... They have been monitoring and researching these terrapins in Southeastern MA for 20 years or more. Also volunteering out on the Cape at Wellfleet Bay.

      My immediate thoughts were that if she was going to die, at least maybe they could save some eggs (why else would she be on land?) and also see if she was one their marked individuals.

      I arrived at the their home...ran to the door....explained the situation (I had already brought another dead female there last year from the same spot!)...we went back to the car and as I was handing her over to Susan, she emitted an egg!!! Susan asked me to check the car, and I found another egg on the mat!!!! As we examined her and discussed the possibility of her surviving these injuries, she deposited two more eggs in Susan's hand!!!! Holy Crap!!!!

      As of now (8:00 PM) I do not know her fate, but hopefully at least four of her offspring will stand a chance of making it.

      Wow...what a day

      Mike

      Mike Maurer
      Marion, MA

      "The time to save a species is while it is still common" Rosalie Edge, Founder of Hawk Mountain Sanctuary

[...]

    • PHILLIP BONN

[...]

        • Christin McDonough
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 26, 2012
            Sounds like a hotspot for crossings...did you report this location to the linking landscapes? If you need that info shoot me an email & I'll forward it. Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you weren't hit too-sounds dangerous!

            Christin McDonough, Wildlife Biologist
            New England Environmental
            15 Research Drive
            Amherst, MA 01002
            413-256-0202 X123 (office)
            413-348-6866 (cell)

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 26, 2012

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 26, 2012
                Oh Yes !! and they are in the right hands for sure!!! Hopefully the female will survive also..will let you know the outcome

> [...]

                one their marked individuals.

                > I arrived at the their home...ran to the door....explained the situation (I
                had already brought another dead female there last year from the same
                spot!)...we went back to the car and as I was handing her over to Susan, she
                emitted an egg!!! Susan asked me to check the car, and I found another egg on
                the mat!!!! As we examined her and discussed the possibility of her surviving
                these injuries, she deposited two more eggs in Susan's hand!!!! Holy Crap!!!!

                > As of now (8:00 PM) I do not know her fate, but hopefully at least four of her
                offspring will stand a chance of making it.

                > Wow...what a day
                >
                > Mike
                >
                > Mike Maurer
                > Marion, MA
                >
                > "The time to save a species is while it is still common" Rosalie Edge, Founder

              • Carol Linguanti
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 26, 2012
                  AWESOME!

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 26, 2012
                    That really is nice to hear, I do Native Turtle Rehab here in NY, and it's amazing how many are really starting to care. Again thanks...hope you can get updates about the eggs.

                    Carol

                  • redknot@optonline.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 26, 2012
                      Mike: Kudos to you for caring enough to stop. I recently did the same thing for a male box turtle on a busy highway.  Fortunately he wasn't hit and is now safely residing in the middle of a large county park here on Long Island.

                      John Turner

                    • jroes@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 26, 2012
                        You did well. I too add, thanks for caring. All we can do is try.

                        Julie Roesler

                        Mike: Kudos to you for caring enough to stop. I recently did the same thing for a male box turtle on a busy highway. Fortunately he wasn't hit and is now safely residing in the middle of a large county park here on Long Island.

                        John Turner

                        > Thanks alot....haven't met a turtle I don't like or won't stop
                        > for!!!!!
                        > Mike
                        >
                        > Mike Maurer
                        > Marion, MA
                        >
                        > "The time to save a species is while it is still common" Rosalie
                        > Edge, Founder of Hawk Mountain Sanctuary

                      • SOPHIE ZYLA
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 27, 2012
                          Great Job! Your story, along with a women who stopped to move a young northern water snake off the rail trail in Cheshire yesterday gives me renewed hope.
                          Thank You!

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 27, 2012
                            Just be careful *moving* terrestrial turtles to new locations. They have a internal homing device and will try and get back to their own territory. They have large territories that they roam during the spring and summer and then in the fall head back to their hibernation location. For the most part it is best to just cross them in the direction they are traveling.

                          • Snow, Pamela
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 27, 2012
                              Mike-thanks for sharing that story! So beautiful.

                              Pamela

                              Pamela M. Snow
                              Schoolyard Ecology Coordinator
                              Harvard Forest
                              324 N. Main St.
                              Petersham, MA 01366
                              (978) 756-6146 on M, W,Th
                              psnow@...
                              http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/education/k-12.html

                              In the end we will conserve only what we love
                              We will love only what we understand
                              We will understand only what we have been taught
                              - Baba Dioum

                              Just be careful *moving* terrestrial turtles to new locations. They have a internal homing device and will try and get back to their own territory. They have large territories that they roam during the spring and summer and then in the fall head back to their hibernation location. For the most part it is best to just cross them in the direction they are traveling.

                              On Jun 26, 2012, at 9:52 PM, redknot@... wrote:

                              > Mike: Kudos to you for caring enough to stop. I recently did the same thing for a male box turtle on a busy highway. Fortunately he wasn't hit and is now safely residing in the middle of a large county park here on Long Island.
                              >
                              > John Turner

                            • Steve Carter
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 27, 2012
                                Great job, Mike!

                                Inspiring.

                                I've saved many of them from cars, too... and it's a good point to take them where they seem to be heading, though I wonder if when they are done, they will try to cross the same road or highway again, again risking death?

                                I'd love to hear more on this.

                                Often they are good-sized snappers, and I try to just herd them off the road, or keep the cars from hitting them while they cross. I know some people pick them up, but I'm a massage therapist, and I can't afford to lose a finger or hand!

                                Great to be part of this caring group! Steve

                                Steve Carter

                                Massage Therapy and CranioSacral Therapy
                                Since 1980

                                <http://www.bostonmassageandcraniosacraltherapy.com/>

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 27, 2012
                                  Thanks for the info. Carol. I realize that but I had to make a judgment call. The direction he was heading toward is a small, fragmented woodland and I fear he would have been in harm's way again before too long. I should have made it clear that I put him back into the County Park (albeit much deeper in the park) that he had emerged from to cross the road; it wasn't a distant county park that was totally unfamiliar to the turtle.

                                  John Turner

                                • luvbirds@warwick.net
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 27, 2012
                                    Yes Steve...they may cross back again with in hours, depending on why they
                                    were headed across the road in the first place. If it was for a choice
                                    nesting spot, once they lay their eggs they will need to return to their
                                    home area, or pond/lake/etc. This annual crossing to lay eggs may be
                                    repeated for decades. Some terrestrial turtles like E.Box Turtles have
                                    territories that span many acres and often cross roads to get to other
                                    parts of their habitat in search of food, mates, or their hibernation
                                    spots. I often find it emotionally painful to cross them and leave, not
                                    knowing if they will survive the return trip or if someone else comes
                                    along and kidnaps them for a tortuous life in captivity. We can only hope
                                    they make it and when given the opportunity then speak out to help teach
                                    others about watching out for and when ever we safely can, crossing
                                    turtles in the direction they are headed.

                                    Thank you all for loving turtles!

                                    Carol

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 27, 2012
                                      Thanks John....I think your judgement call was fine. As a turtle freak and
                                      rehabber, I try and teach others about not moving Box, Wood & Spotted
                                      turtles from their home territories. It takes one Box turtle 30+ years
                                      of life to reproduce itself just one time. Many are taken as pets, habitat
                                      fragmation claims more lives with collisions with cars and building
                                      machinary. Those that are left in the wild don't reach breeding age until
                                      about ten. They have trouble finding mates as turtles get rarer and when
                                      they do they have such small clutches of eggs that are mostly eaten by
                                      raccoons, skunks, etc. few make it to adulthood. Each life is precious.

                                      Carry on with the good work everyone! With so much passion in our
                                      group....we can make a difference.

                                      Carol

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 27, 2012
                                        Hello All of You,

                                        Thanks so much for all of your posts......Did not expect such a huge response to this email, and it just goes to show how much we are all connected, and care about our herps!!

                                        Just off of the phone with Don Lewis...unfortunately, the adult female did not survive her injuries...but the four eggs will be incubated and well cared for, and any hatchlings will be released at the exact spot in order to insure that her DNA remains in the system....

                                        Thanks again to everyone....keep up your dedication.

                                        Mike

                                      • Snow, Pamela

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 23, 2012
                                            And now for the rest of the story:

                                            Nice article in the Sunday edition of the regional Standard Times
                                            featuring Don Lewis (the turtle guy) and the eggs saved by Mike Maurer
                                            (the salamander guy) - seems like fodder for a new comics
                                            series....(we'll need Spring Peeper boy wonder, and the amazing fairy
                                            shrimp woman....)

                                            http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120923/LIFE/209230302

                                            Seems as though three of the babies made it out...Way to go Mike!