VENTURA AUDUBON MAY & SUMMER EVENTS

  • alexisfrangis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2012
      VENTURA AUDUBON MAY & SUMMER EVENTS

      Beginners are welcome on all field trips. Light drizzle does not necessarily cancel trips, but heavier rain will. If in doubt, please call the trip leader.

      Saturday, May 5, 8:00 a.m. Hedrick Ranch Nature Area, Santa Paula. Leader: Sandy Hedrick (340-0478). We will bird this lovely area with the possibility of seeing Least Bells Vireos, Yellow-breasted Chats, & a Thick-billed Kingbird. Long pants and boots or closed shoes are suggested. Directions: Take Hwy 126 to Santa Paula, 10th St. Exit. Go left under freeway, right on Harvard, right on 12th, cross S.C. River Bridge. Go 3.7 miles to 20395 S. Mountain Rd. Turn left onto the dirt road & follow it to the end (approx. ½ mile). To carpool, meet at 7:30 a.m. at Pacific View Mall, Coastal View Entrance off Mills Rd., park in the lot directly across from the parking garage entrance.

      Monday, May 7, 8:30 a.m. Lake Casitas. Leader: Adele Fergusson (415-4304). We should see egrets, herons, and spring migrants. Directions: To car pool, meet at the Museum of Ventura Co., 100 E. Main, (side parking lot) at 8:00 a.m. Take Hwy 33 towards Ojai; exit Casitas Vista Rd. Turn rt. and go under freeway past Foster Park to 1st rt., Santa Anna Rd. Follow to park. Or take Hwy 33 to Hwy 150, turn left and follow signs to the lake.

      Saturday, May 12, 8:30 a.m. Taft Gardens, Ojai. Leader: John Pavelko (640-9040). Rain-out Reschedule. Limit 25. VAS members given preference. You will need to re-register. Registration begins Thurs. 5/3 at 9:00 a.m. E-mail Judy catmai03@... or call 642-0842. Directions: Please carpool. From Ojai, meet at Nordoff H.S. at 8:15. From Ventura, meet at 8:00 a.m. at the Museum of Ventura Co, 100 E. Main (side parking lot). Take Hwy. 33 to Hwy. 150 (Baldwin Rd.). Turn left onto Hwy 150 and go for 2.4 miles, crossing over the Ventura River and past the entrance to Rancho Matilija housing development on the right. One-fourth mi. past the entrance you will come to a bend w/an unmarked road (a group of mailboxes & a short wall), turn right and proceed through the entrance gate. This is a private road. Stay on the main road & avoid disturbances to the neighbors. After the 2nd creek crossing, the parking lot will be ¼ mile ahead. Meet there.

      Sunday, May 13, Tejon Ranch, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Leader: Ranch Staff. PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED. This loop usually has many wildflowers and birds through the fields and gullies along the Antelope Valley side of the ranch which is located off Hwy. 138. There are no restrooms (at least none w/walls or paper). No smoking or dogs. Specific instructions & directions will be given to those registered. To car pool, meet in Ventura at the Buena H.S. lot directly across from the post office at Telegraph & Wake Forest at 6:45 a.m. & from Ojai meet at the Park'n Ride lot at Ojai Ave & Fox at 6:45 a.m.

      Saturday, May 19, 8:30 a.m. Arroyo Verde Park. Leaders: Carl & Nancy Schorsch (643-5825). Bird/Plant Walk followed by the Annual Meeting & Picnic! $10.00 for lunch. Meet at the last parking lot with restrooms on the left. The park is at Day Rd. and Foothill Rd. in Ventura.

      All members are invited to the Annual Meeting & BBQ on Saturday May 19th. IT WILL BE HELD THIS YEAR AT ARROYO VERDE PARK (5000 FOOTHILL RD. IN VENTURA, VISTA BLUFF PICNIC AREA). The cost is $10.00 per person (half price for children). There is a parking fee on weekends ($2.00 per hour, maximum of $5.00 per day) collected as you leave. Consider carpooling. Nancy and Carl Schorsch will get us started with a bird walk beginning around 8:30 am. Around 11:00 am, we'll conduct a short business meeting to elect directors. There will be BBQ tri-tip and chicken, garlic bread, salad and beans. Members attending are asked to bring an appetizer or dessert to round out the meal. Please bring your own table service and, if you bring a dish, please bring serving utensils. Soft drinks will be provided. Unfortunately, beer and wine will NOT be available and we cannot bring our own. The City requires insurance which VAS does not have and which is very expensive to buy. Everyone is invited to the picnic. We hope to see new faces as well as the stalwarts! Please join us and other VAS members to celebrate another successful year – and to enjoy the birds and wildflowers of Arroyo Verde Park. Please RSVP as early as possible by sending your check (indicating that it is for the picnic) to the VAS post office box, or call or email Marianne Slaughter (484-8415, birderz1@...) or Bruce Schoppe (658-2396, bschoppe6698@...). You may also pay at the door but please do RSVP so that we will have enough food.

      Saturday, May 26, 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. Beginners' Bird Walk, Canada Larga Road. Leader: Allen Bertke (640-9037). Directions: Take Hwy. 33 toward Ojai. Exit Canada Larga Rd. Meet near the beginning of the road. We will walk and drive this road looking for Blue Grosbeaks, orioles, swallows & maybe a Lazuli Bunting. Bring binoculars, a field guide, hat & water.

      VENTURA AUDUBON SUMMER BIRDING

      We will meet for 7 Mondays from 8:30-l0:30. All levels of birders are welcome. Leader: Allen Bertke (805-640-9037)

      *June 11 Ojai Meadow Preserve: Take Hwy 33 toward Ojai & follow it to Nordoff H.S. The Preserve is signed; parking spots available on street. Or carpool from the Museum of Ventura Co., 100 E. Main (side parking lot), at 8 a.m.

      *June 18 Canada Larga: Hwy. 33 toward Ojai; exit Canada Larga Rd. Meet near beginning of road.

      *June 25 Steckel Park-Santa Paula: Entry fee; car pool 8 a.m. from Starbucks on Telegraph Rd. in Victoria Shopping Plaza or meet 8:30 at park. Ojai-Santa Paula Rd.-Santa Paula.

      *July 2 Surfer's Knoll: Meet in the parking lot across from Ventura Harbor.

      *July 9 Ennisbrook Nature Trail, Montecito: Carpool at 8:00 from side parking lot parking lot at Museum of Ventura Co. North on 101, exit San Ysidro Rd.; turn right (N) toward mountains. Right at San Leandro Lane; follow San Leandro through left/right jog, continue until you see a white picket fence and a pump house on the left (N) side of road. Park there.

      *July 16 Arroyo Verde Park-Ventura: Day & Foothill Dr. Meet in the back area.

      *July 23 Carpinteria Salt Marsh: To car pool meet at the rear parking lot of the Ventura Museum at 8:00. Take Hwy. 101 N to Carpinteria- exit Casitas Pass Rd.- right on Carpinteria Ave., left on Linden, right on Sandyland Rd. to Ash. Park along Ash. This will be our last outing & we have been invited to bring a sack lunch & beverage to Debby Burn's ocean front home. Details later.

      Visit our website for more information http://www.venturaaudubon.org/ or check us out on Facebook www.facebook.com/VenturaAudubonSociety

      Alexis Frangis
      Ventura