Re: CX ride report

  • Sabine Dukes
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
      Ugh...sorry I missed it. Left work a few too many minutes late and
      hit traffic and an accident on 17. I'll try again next week and I'll
      take the back roads. Should I bring my tutu?

      --- In velobella@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Starling" <julie@w...> wrote:
      > For those who missed tonight's CX ride at St. Joseph hill you
      missed out on
      > one heck of an education. I learned to dismount. Yes indeed-Valerie-
      style.
      > Upon reaching the hurdle, you speed up, unclip one leg, jump off,
      throw your
      > bike 20 feet in the air above you, jump over the hurdle sans bike,
      and catch
      > it effortlessly on the other side. Apparently, this method is
      supposed to
      > save some energy. After a few tries and some bruises, I seemed to
      catch on.
      > Good thing I had my helmet on. Needless to say, this stunt got the
      best of
      > Mary's ego, so she taught me the added pirouette after the jump
      with a one
      > handed catch. I'm still a little dizzy from the pirouettes.
      >

      > Next week, Valerie is promising to show us the "Flaming Valerie,"
      where at
      > the flick of a switch just before the bike toss, your wheels flame
      with fire
      > as it soars overhead. If you want to see some real CX action, you
      may want
      > to show up at one of these rides.
      >

      > Mary thanks so much for the ride home! And thanks very much go to
      both
      > ladies for teaching me their super duper secret CX techniques.
      >

      > Julie

    • Julie Starling
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
        Tutus are appropriate. Hell, if Ali can climb stairs, on her downhill bike,
        in a skirt, then I don't see anything wrong with a tutu on a CX.

        I had the pleasure later on of telling my husband that Valerie thinks that
        his hurdle is -- ahem--- "so SMALL!"

        _____

        Ugh...sorry I missed it. Left work a few too many minutes late and
        hit traffic and an accident on 17. I'll try again next week and I'll
        take the back roads. Should I bring my tutu?

        --- In velobella@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Starling" <julie@w...> wrote:
        > For those who missed tonight's CX ride at St. Joseph hill you
        missed out on
        > one heck of an education. I learned to dismount. Yes indeed-Valerie-
        style.
        > Upon reaching the hurdle, you speed up, unclip one leg, jump off,
        throw your
        > bike 20 feet in the air above you, jump over the hurdle sans bike,
        and catch
        > it effortlessly on the other side. Apparently, this method is
        supposed to
        > save some energy. After a few tries and some bruises, I seemed to
        catch on.
        > Good thing I had my helmet on. Needless to say, this stunt got the
        best of
        > Mary's ego, so she taught me the added pirouette after the jump
        with a one
        > handed catch. I'm still a little dizzy from the pirouettes.
        >

        > Next week, Valerie is promising to show us the "Flaming Valerie,"
        where at
        > the flick of a switch just before the bike toss, your wheels flame
        with fire
        > as it soars overhead. If you want to see some real CX action, you
        may want
        > to show up at one of these rides.
        >

        > Mary thanks so much for the ride home! And thanks very much go to
        both
        > ladies for teaching me their super duper secret CX techniques.
        >

        > Julie

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i2ul0c/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705942186:HM/EXP=1096726581/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http:/promo
        tions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2376776/rand=698226857>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Valerie Mangin
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
          Thanks for the CX practice Julie and Mary! Great report Julie, you are so funny! The climb was a good warm-up, the mount/dismount part still needs hours and hours of pratice though... Don't forget, come all to the RoaringBella clinics on Oct.30 to learn about all the tricks and tips, but overall to have twice the fun!
          We missed you Sabine, but it is also such a long drive for you, wow... I am not sure I will come to Watsonville from the South Bay, if you do a practice there! We didn't see you either Karyn, still motivated to try it?

          Valerie

          Julie Starling <julie@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Sami Fournier
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
            I envy all of you who get to train together, it sounds
            so much fun. If anyone is around and available to
            hang out Sunday, October 10th, I arrive at Oakland
            Airport at 11:30am. I'll be with my 'cross bike. Any
            races in the Bay area that day? How about rides from
            10/11-10/15? I am also still looking for homestay, if
            anyone can help out, I'd be indebted.

            I'll be in Marin for 5 days to help pilot test a
            National Safe Routes to School bicycle and pedestrian
            safety curriculum for Middle School students. We (the
            League) are doing a 4-week unit at Mill Valley Middle
            School starting Monday October 4th. Please join us in
            celebrating international walk (and bike) to school
            day on October 6-8!!! www.walktoschool.org.

            Finally, in about 1 hour the opening weekend of cx in
            the Mid Atlantic will commence.
            http://ncvc.net/files/2004_NCVC_EdSander_Cross.pdf
            I'll test the long-sleeved skinsuit for the first time
            tomorrow here:
            http://bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=1761
            and give you all a full report.

            Sami

            --- Valerie Mangin <lilit102@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the CX practice Julie and Mary! Great
            > report Julie, you are so funny! The climb was a good
            > warm-up, the mount/dismount part still needs hours
            > and hours of pratice though... Don't forget, come
            > all to the RoaringBella clinics on Oct.30 to learn
            > about all the tricks and tips, but overall to have
            > twice the fun!
            > We missed you Sabine, but it is also such a long
            > drive for you, wow... I am not sure I will come to
            > Watsonville from the South Bay, if you do a practice
            > there! We didn't see you either Karyn, still
            > motivated to try it?
            >
            > Valerie
            >
            > Julie Starling <julie@...> wrote:
            > For those who missed tonight's CX ride at St. Joseph
            > hill you missed out on
            > one heck of an education. I learned to dismount. Yes
            > indeed-Valerie-style.
            > Upon reaching the hurdle, you speed up, unclip one
            > leg, jump off, throw your
            > bike 20 feet in the air above you, jump over the
            > hurdle sans bike, and catch
            > it effortlessly on the other side. Apparently, this
            > method is supposed to
            > save some energy. After a few tries and some
            > bruises, I seemed to catch on.
            > Good thing I had my helmet on. Needless to say, this
            > stunt got the best of
            > Mary's ego, so she taught me the added pirouette
            > after the jump with a one
            > handed catch. I'm still a little dizzy from the
            > pirouettes.
            >
            > Next week, Valerie is promising to show us the
            > "Flaming Valerie," where at
            > the flick of a switch just before the bike toss,
            > your wheels flame with fire
            > as it soars overhead. If you want to see some real
            > CX action, you may want
            > to show up at one of these rides.
            >
            > Mary thanks so much for the ride home! And thanks
            > very much go to both
            > ladies for teaching me their super duper secret CX
            > techniques.
            >
            > Julie

            > removed]

            > --------------------~-->
            > Toolbar.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/qyprlB/TM

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Sabine Dukes
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
              Looks as if there is only a race in Sacramento that day.
              http://www.ncnca.org/cyclocross/2004/calendar.html

              If thts the case, and there is enough local interest, maybe we can do
              a Bella CX ride and training day. we were talking about this last
              night at Sarah's party (between disco twister and pin the bandage on
              Tyler) and we were wondering if there would be a good weekend.

              Good luck in your race!!
              And Good Luck to Christine who is racing out in Michigan today.

              I think I hurt my knee during disco twister.

              Sabine

              --- In velobella@yahoogroups.com, Sami Fournier <samireneaf@y...>

            • monica
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
                Hey Sami -

                I live about 15 minutes from the Oakland airport and David & I would love to
                homestay you!
                We have two extra bedrooms and you could even have your own bathroom...woo
                hoo! David is an excellent chef so you will be well fed.

                It would be so fun to meet you. We have a protected watershed area with fire
                roads and some single track (Lake Chabot area) that is 5 minutes from the
                house on a bike. I'd love to do some riding with you :)

                Would you commute from here to Marin? It would be 45 min. probably depending
                on where you had to be and when but......Or there is always BART - maybe?

                Email me off the list if you want to do it and we'll figure out the details.

                Monica
              • Julie Starling
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                  I'd be into a group CX ride.

                  Julie

                  _____

                  wrote:
> [...]
                  > > stunt got the best of
                  > > Mary's ego, so she taught me the added pirouette
                  > > after the jump with a one
                  > > handed catch. I'm still a little dizzy from the
                  > > pirouettes.
                  > >
                  > > Next week, Valerie is promising to show us the
                  > > "Flaming Valerie," where at
                  > > the flick of a switch just before the bike toss,
                  > > your wheels flame with fire
                  > > as it soars overhead. If you want to see some real
                  > > CX action, you may want
                  > > to show up at one of these rides.
                  > >
                  > > Mary thanks so much for the ride home! And thanks
                  > > very much go to both
                  > > ladies for teaching me their super duper secret CX
                  > > techniques.
                  > >
                  > > Julie

                  > > removed]

                  > > --------------------~-->
                  > > Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293i47ap/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
                  oups/S=1705942186:HM/EXP=1096818301/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http:/promo
                  tions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
                  :HM/A=2376776/rand=599302932>

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Sami Fournier
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Hi Monica!

                    Thank you so much for the kind offer, I really
                    appreciate it! Do you think I could take my bike on
                    the BART? I'm not sure, but I might need it with me
                    in Marin. I have to find out more about what I'll be
                    doing and when before I can take you up on your kind
                    offer, but if you are free on Sunday, I would
                    definitely appreciate being picked up at the airport,
                    maybe going for a ride, and then later I might have to
                    hook up with the Lady I'm working with in Marin and go
                    with her to wherever -- she's also working on trying
                    to get me a homestay, but they are not sure yet.

                    And we'll ride, for sure. I don't suppose its at all
                    possible to ride from your house to Marin? Crazy
                    idea, I know. I may end up renting a car.

                    Sami

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                      I hate it when that happens! This was not meant for
                      the list. Duh.

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail