race report from the east coast criteriums

  • vardaros
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi All!
      I am writing to you from northern NJ. The weather has been similar to
      CA - foggy, cloudy, warm, cold, drizzly and rainy.

      I just finished racing 3 crits - sat, sun and mon. The saturday one,
      US Bicycling Hall of Fame Criterium, would have usually been fun for
      me since it was slightly rolling but due to a bug i've had for the
      past few days prior, i was feeling mighty flat. Eventually i dropped
      out.I figured i still have two more tries to compete.

      Next race was a bit larger in size. It was part of the Tour of
      Somerville Criterium Series. In this race, i was determined to NOT
      finish with the pack but in a small group off the front. So with that
      in mind, I chased anything that moved in the forward direction from
      the pack. After I had used all my energy chasing down what turned out
      to be fodder attacks, the real one came from ashley kimmet of
      Colavita. I killed myself to catch the group of 3 up the road. Once
      i finally made contact, i immediately did my pull at the front - big
      mistake. After pulling off, I was too tired to hold their wheels. I
      was dropped. By the time I semi-recovered I was in a chase group of
      3. We spent the rest of the race keeping the lead group within 20
      seconds as we started to pass the lapped riders. I finished 2nd in
      the sprint and 5th overall.

      The third and final race, Tour of Somerville, was the biggest of them
      all! All the crit teams were there such as victory brewing, cola
      vita, verizon, TDS, and some others that i recognized from redlands
      and sea otter. My goal today was to have a solid safe ride. The
      course was again pancake flat with non-technical turns. The one
      variable that i didn't count on was the heavy rain throughout the
      race. There were three man-hole covers that were outright deadly!
      Every lap I'd see at least one person's rear wheel slide on one of
      those circles of doom. In fact, towards the end of the race, i was
      right behind a TDS gal who completely slid out, and impressively had
      her hands up over her face before her ass even hit the asphalt. Since
      i didn't hear any clashing metal behind me, i assume she was avoided
      by the pack of about 80 riders. There were many failed attempts by
      riders to get off the front - until the last lap when melissa
      sanborn? of Wells Fargo took a flyer with about 1/2 lap to go and
      held off the field for the win! Sarah Uhl was 2nd and I finished with
      the pack in 16th place.
      Next week is Philly. It'll be great to have teammates in the race!!!!
      Till then,
      peanut
    • Sabine Dukes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
        And here's a pic of Christine at Tour of Somervile. Christine loves
        these conditions

        http://www.pbase.com/image/29635172

      • vardaros
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
          Sabine, THANKS for the photo! It says it all! Since the rain just
          started before our event, I spent the whole race trying to dodge the
          continuous stream of pavement grit from other cyclists' wheels. I am
          still picking pebbles out of my scalp!

          --- In velobella@yahoogroups.com, "Sabine Dukes" <sabinedukes@h...>

        • brent chapman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004