Highway 68 Bike Path Project

  • Three Bikrs
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hello Everyone,
      I just wanted to thank everyone who signed the petition, sent e-mails, and
      personally attended last Tuesday's Board of Supervisors meeting in support
      of the Spreckles/Hilltown Bike Path and Bridge project which would offer an
      alternative to riding across the Salinas River bridge on Highway 68.

      All you guys that spoke before the Board of Supervisors did a very nice job
      of articulating the interest and need for the bike path. Great public
      speaking skills!

      I thought others of you might be interested in how it went. Unfortunately,
      the Board did not approve the Initial Study and Mitigated Negative
      Declaration, which is an environmental document, but continued the item in
      order to allow staff to respond to comments received by the property owners.
      The comments included: concerns about potential agricultural
      contamination; the health of cyclist/pedestrians due to the existence of
      pesticides used in agricultural operations (spraying), trespassing, and
      trash. The Department intends to respond to these comments and request
      approval of the document again on March 30.

      I was told that without that support, it would have very likely been
      immediately turned down. So, I may be bugging you again for your support at
      that March 30 meeting. I believe it is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.

      Thanks again!
      Janet

      p.s. Anyone with pictures of cyclists on designated bike paths that run
      adjacent to ag land, please e-mail me a copy. They hope to show at least 10
      different shots throughout the county, to counter the arguments put forth at
      the meeting. lopezp@... Many thanks!