Re: [velobella] Re: New member

  • Rachel Mickelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
      Where do you live in Orange County?

      The crit season is technically over now but there are
      "training races" you can participate in-specifically,
      the El Dorado Racing Series in Long Beach. It used to
      be on Tuesday nights all summer long. Also, here in
      Redlands, we have a training crit practice on
      Thursdays at 6pm. It'll go till the time changes in
      October.

      Also, this summer when I was racing, there always was
      a mentor in the cat 4 races which I thought was great.
      The women were at least cat 2's and very
      knowledgeable. Their main goal was to coach the Cat 4
      women on racing skills. I wouldn't worry about your
      fitness level-cat 4 is not that fast- I can do it on
      1 ride a week. However, it's the skills involved in
      the crits that take practice.

      My best advice is to get out there and do it. It's a
      blast. Everytime I race-training race or a cat 4 race
      I learn something new.

      Rachel M

    • hgabel73
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2007
        Thanks for the advice!

        I live in Rancho Santa Margarita in south Orange County.

        I'm very familiar with El Dorado park, but I've never ridden my bike
        there. I have heard about crit races there but for some reason I
        thought they were on the weekends. I'll have to try and check into
        that.

        Practice is definitely what I need! I'm pretty nervous to get out
        there not knowing what I'm doing.

        today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7