My 1st Race! 24 Hours of Moab

  • DeAnna
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi Bellas!

      I am a VB from San Jose, CA, and I am finally going to be riding in my
      first race -- minus my VB support crew (Cynthia, Rosalind...) much to
      my dismay! My husband and I are driving out to Moab Utah to race in
      the 24 hours of Moab (October 14 & 15).

      Is anyone else going to be at that race? Has anyone raced it before?
      Does anyone have any general terrain/condition advice who has been
      riding in Moab before (NorCal trails vs. Moab)?

      Any advice regarding this race specifically or racing in general, how
      to prepare, etc., would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks, and Ciao!
      Dee
    • Shannon Holden
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        As far as advice, drink plenty of water and get plenty of nutrition. A lot of it depends on if you are doing it solo or on a team and how many are on the team. What are you goals. Racing or for fun. I don't know much about Moab but I have done 24 hours solo, and on teams so. Let me know what you are doing and I will do my best to give you some hints.

        Shannon

        DeAnna <papedis@...> wrote: Hi Bellas!

        I am a VB from San Jose, CA, and I am finally going to be riding in my
        first race -- minus my VB support crew (Cynthia, Rosalind...) much to
        my dismay! My husband and I are driving out to Moab Utah to race in
        the 24 hours of Moab (October 14 & 15).

        Is anyone else going to be at that race? Has anyone raced it before?
        Does anyone have any general terrain/condition advice who has been
        riding in Moab before (NorCal trails vs. Moab)?

        Any advice regarding this race specifically or racing in general, how
        to prepare, etc., would be greatly appreciated!

        Thanks, and Ciao!
        Dee

      • Kim Heiser

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
            I'm curious if you're doing Moab solo or on a team. I actually may
            be there. Originally I was going to solo it but I've been racing a
            ton this summer and am doing the Kona 24 hours next week in Granby,
            Co which may be my last race. Its just so expensive so I may be done
            for the season but you never know. At any rate I've heard you can
            use different bikes in it but I'm not positive. I would look into it
            and if so you should bring 2 mountain bikes to swap out on laps and
            have someone work on them. The sand does a number on your drive
            train and things won't be running as smooth 5 or so hours into the
            race. I've spent a lot of time in Moab riding but have not done the
            race course. I've been there as a spectator and have heard a lot
            about the course. There are definite hike-a-bike sections but I
            believe only 1 or 2. Hopefully you're getting there a few days
            early so you can pre-ride the course which will be best for you. Its
            a LeMans start and that is especially dusty. Some people actually
            wear a mask (one you'd wear if painting or something). Oh, bring eye
            drops too, it is super dry!!! Drink before you're thirsty and eat
            before you're hungry. Electrolyte pills very important for the
            heat. I could go on and on but don't want to overwhelm you. You'll
            figure it out as you go and do great.
            Cat

            --- In velobella@yahoogroups.com, "DeAnna" <papedis@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bellas!
            >
            > I am a VB from San Jose, CA, and I am finally going to be riding in
            my
            > first race -- minus my VB support crew (Cynthia, Rosalind...) much
            > my dismay! My husband and I are driving out to Moab Utah to race
            in
            > the 24 hours of Moab (October 14 & 15).
            >
            > Is anyone else going to be at that race? Has anyone raced it
            before?
            > Does anyone have any general terrain/condition advice who has been
            > riding in Moab before (NorCal trails vs. Moab)?
            >
            > Any advice regarding this race specifically or racing in general,
            how
            > to prepare, etc., would be greatly appreciated!
            >
            > Thanks, and Ciao!
            > Dee

          • DeAnna
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
              Thank you Shannon and Kim!

              We are doing a team of two. The race only had an expert/pro 2
              person category (versus all levels), but we decided to enter it
              anyway. I'm sure we won't be competitive at all with those in our
              category, but that's okay - I know I will gain great experience and
              have fun!! My goal is just to be able to gain the experience of
              racing - riding so close to others, going out on laps after a break
              while my teammate is out, etc. That experience is really what I am
              looking forward to!

              I'm glad you mentioned how dusty it is there. I'm definitely not
              used to riding where it is overly dusty, so it's good to at least
              expect that!

              Thank you both again! --Dee.

              --- In velobella@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Holden <shan_bono@...>
              wrote:

              > As far as advice, drink plenty of water and get plenty of
              nutrition. A lot of it depends on if you are doing it solo or on a
              team and how many are on the team. What are you goals. Racing or
              for fun. I don't know much about Moab but I have done 24 hours
              solo, and on teams so. Let me know what you are doing and I will do
              my best to give you some hints.

              > Shannon
              >
              > DeAnna <papedis@...> wrote: Hi Bellas!
              >
              > I am a VB from San Jose, CA, and I am finally going to be riding
              in my
              > first race -- minus my VB support crew (Cynthia, Rosalind...) much
              > my dismay! My husband and I are driving out to Moab Utah to race
              in
              > the 24 hours of Moab (October 14 & 15).
              >
              > Is anyone else going to be at that race? Has anyone raced it
              before?
              > Does anyone have any general terrain/condition advice who has been
              > riding in Moab before (NorCal trails vs. Moab)?
              >
              > Any advice regarding this race specifically or racing in general,
              how
              > to prepare, etc., would be greatly appreciated!
              >
              > Thanks, and Ciao!
              > Dee

            • Andi Mackie