San Ardo

  • moniqua0460
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
      Reading Sabine's message this morning, as I am getting ready to head
      to Santa Cruz for the University Road Race, guilted me into a little
      note! :)
      San Ardo yesterday - in attendance was Laura racing Cat 3, Jessie &
      myself racing Women 30+. You know, as the District Champ, I got to
      register for $2 as long as I raced in age group. I didn't feel this
      flat course suited my style so figured two dollars was a worthwhile
      investment in a good training day. The weather was warm and dry,
      little to no winds.
      Our race had 12 women, I think, 4 from the Echelon Santa Barbara
      team, and Jessie & I were the only other members in the group with a
      teammate. All but myself and one other chick were Cat 3 racers. The
      race was a dog fight, no opportunity to break, no hill to separate
      the group. We tried rallying a paceline, working together but it was
      a constant struggle, we had one chick who would never pull through.
      aarrggh.
      Heading up the feedzone hill toward the finish line, Denise Clark
      (Echelon SB chick, same chick that beat me at the State
      Championships) blasted out of the paceline. I jumped to chase but she
      had a good 20 yards on me. I was passed heading up to the finish by
      Trish Mckay. Looking back & realizing I had an easy cruise to 3rd
      place I settled for that, didn't fight for the finish. I wanted to
      save my legs for today as everyone says it is a bitch of a circuit
      race.
      Jessie came in 6th I think, not sure what happened when the jump
      ocurred. She was right there, tight in the paceline. She did her
      share of pulling and working hard during the race. And she smelled so
      good the whole time! Laura's race was a battle too, from what she
      said after. She did a fair amount of bridging up. In the end I think
      she took 8th, perhaps she will share her story.
      Congrats to Petra & Shelly keep up the good work. Love the reports
      Sabine. We missed you guys yesterday. Alan rocks!
    • Denise1ramirez@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2006
        Who is going to be racing the last Velo Promo road race of the season? I'll
        be there...as one of the oldest Cat 4's around.

        Denise :-)

      • Denise1ramirez@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2006
          Man, was it chilly at the start! I am accustomed to 100+ temps and driving
          into the fog made my teeth chatter.

          It was me and Angela in a sea of Tri-Flow Velo Girls; they dominated the
          field by 75%. Angela is an absolute workhorse. I wanted to get on the podium,
          so she really worked. On the second lap, an attack on the hill separated the
          group dramatically. We dropped all of the VG's, except 1. Life was better
          already.

          Approaching the incline/finish line, I was in perfect position for my podium
          goal. A super tiny gal, who appeared to be no more than 16 years old, flew
          by me like a blur. Drats! I crossed the line in 5th place. Won a T-shirt.
          It's the first green garment in my closet.

          Huge props to Angela...........
          Denise :-)

        • Angela Aldrich
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27, 2006
            Denise,

            You raced very well and I am very excited that you met your goal!!

            Glad to help you and you really had your game face on - yeooow!

            Angela

            Denise1ramirez@... wrote:
            Man, was it chilly at the start! I am accustomed to 100+ temps and driving
            into the fog made my teeth chatter.

            It was me and Angela in a sea of Tri-Flow Velo Girls; they dominated the
            field by 75%. Angela is an absolute workhorse. I wanted to get on the podium,
            so she really worked. On the second lap, an attack on the hill separated the
            group dramatically. We dropped all of the VG's, except 1. Life was better
            already.

            Approaching the incline/finish line, I was in perfect position for my podium
            goal. A super tiny gal, who appeared to be no more than 16 years old, flew
            by me like a blur. Drats! I crossed the line in 5th place. Won a T-shirt.
            It's the first green garment in my closet.

            Huge props to Angela...........
            Denise :-)

            Angela Kim Aldrich
            "Cycling is a great equalizer because the strongest are not always the best."

            — Connie Carpenter Phinney
            "Fear is something you have to learn to control and use to your advantage because everyone has it. The difference is how you let it affect you. You have to be confident. If I'm at the top of the course and I notice a racer with fear in her eyes, I go up to her and say, "Be strong and find the way of the peaceful warrior" your're gonna do great."

            — Missy Giove