VSS eNewsletter 4 September 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2013

      Reader's Story: Finding a Diet that Works

      Vegan Cooks Showcase Their Talent

      GENERAL NEWS

      Classy Veg Spread by 'Chef in Black'
      Emmanuel Stroobant

      A Strictly Vegetarian Wedding

      International Vegetarian Cooking Course
      by KMSPKSM

      Classes by Little Green Cafe

      Foody Flags of Vegan Friendly Countries

      As the debate rages in Singapore whether Teacher's Day ought to be celebrated on the traditional date (01 Sep) or the current change to the first Friday of September, let us celebrate the power and value of education by spreading knowledge on how a plant-based lifestyle is both meaningful and practical.

      Gangasudhan,
      Communications Officer

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Reader's Story: Finding a Diet that Works

      A reader, Ms Jenny Koh, wrote in to share her experience of providing her pet a vegetarian diet, here's her story…

      "Thank you so much to VSS and your team of dedicated members. I am indeed glad that your latest newsletter featured vegan diets for our animal friends.

      About three and a half years ago, my pet Chihuahua developed skin problems. I spent a lot of money going to the vet who prescribed special shampoo and various vitamins and supplements which had little results.

      A kind pet shop owner examined him and told me that my pet probably has an allergy to animal protein and suggested that I try changing his diet to a vegetarian one.  I took his advice and realized that not only did his skin problems disappeared, he became more energetic with a nice coat of fur with bright eyes. His tearing, which the vet claimed was "normal", also became very much reduced.

      However, when I changed to another brand of vegetarian dog food (which I came to know through the VSS), and replenished the stock (the first batch had no issues), my dog's health deteriorated, his tearing became excessive and he seemed very lethargic. I called the distributor who very honourably refunded me the money for the unused packs and promised to convey the feedback to the overseas supplier. In the meanwhile, I reverted back to the original brand of dog food.

      Unfortunately, the original brand seemed to have changed its constituents and my dog became constipated – to the extent that we had to bring him to the vet who, unsurprisingly, advised us to change his diet to non-vegetarian canned food.

      We could not bring ourselves to do that and rationalized that if we could survive on vegetarian food, then my dog too could do so. I began to improvise his food based on whatever the family was eating and wonderfully, he is well again to his usual active and energetic self.

      From my experience, I find that the biggest challenge we face in relying on commercially produced dog food is that there does not seem to be any quality control. Often times we are in the dark as to what precisely goes into the food. And when feedback is provided to manufacturers, it seems the typical response is to claim that there has been no change in the production process."

      We are glad that Ms Jenny Koh has found a diet and arrangement that works best for her canine companion and we hope that others too can explore different diets that work best for their pets. However, we encourage 'parents' to always do their research and make decisions that are in the best interests of their pets.

      Vegan Cooks Showcase Their Talent

      Some aspiring vegan cooks came together one afternoon to put food demos on film and we are proud to share these clips with you. Let us know if you try any of the recipes and do share the clips with others so that everyone can see how easy it is to prepare vegan cuisine.

      Power Breakfast Smoothie
      by Natalia Angel
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4gZ8YZGHaU

      Savoury Oatmeal with Sautéed Mushrooms, Onion and Thyme
      by Priscilla and Roland
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRe6zwO1UJU

      Super Easy Vegan Soup
      by Pauline Menezes
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wXTKY5jsvg

      Vegan Avocado Alfredo Pasta Sauce
      by Ashley Chow
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_OQY0UFKWs

      Fudgy Vegan Brownie
      by Halimah Ilavarasi
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHeZe-qgWeU

      Classy Veg Spread by 'Chef in Black' Emmanuel Stroobant

      The popular Belgian chef, Emmanuel Stroobant – who is more popularly known as the TV personality 'Chef in Black' and known for his innovative exploits in the kitchen, is now pushing the boundaries of culinary innovation in the vegetarian realm by combining wholesome cooking techniques and precise execution to highlight the freshness of organic seasonal ingredients. A vegetarian himself, Chef Stroobant lends his expertise to create a highly nutritious 25–course meal entirely without meat and has sourced produce and ingredients from three different regions – Asia, Australia and Europe, to create an amazing array of new combinations.

      When: 6 November 2013 (Wednesday) @7pm
      Where: Saint Pierre, 31 Ocean Way, #01-15 Quayside Isle
      Price: S$158++ per person

      Menu Highlights:
      • Pumpkin Ravioli with Popped Quinoa and Vadouvan
      • Grilled Organic Zucchini and Parmesan Gelato
      • Wild Mushroom Chawanmushi
      • Soy Seared Sweet Melon and Wild Basil

      As capacity for this event is limited, reservation is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact the Centurion Travel and Lifestyle Concierge at 1800-3968866 (Option 2) to confirm your reservation by 10 Oct 2013.

      Note: This is an initiative that promotes meat reduction and not a plant-based diet, hence the spread includes fish, eggs and dairy.

      A Strictly Vegetarian Wedding

      A friend of Ramil Lin and Jamie Ng wrote to the VSS to share that the couple's wedding ceremony and reception would be a completely vegetarian affair. To be held on 08 Sep, Sunday, the event will be held at the Gardens By The Bay and graced by about 500 guests. Ramil adds, "Jamie and I would really love to encourage everyone that a wedding with a vegetarian setup can be elegant, simple and – most importantly – acceptable by some elderly too." It is indeed heart–warming to see many young couples taking the bold step to conduct cruelty–free wedding receptions and this trend is certainly becoming a mainstream option. We wish both Ramil and Jamie a beautiful ceremony and hope that their married lives will be as kind and compassionate as the reception they have planned.

      If, like Ramil and Jamie, you and your partner have opted to have a full veg wedding, do write in to us at ganga@... so that we can share the news on this joyous occasion with the rest of the veg community!

      International Vegetarian Cooking Course by KMSPKSM

      Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery is organising an International Vegetarian Cooking Course this month comprising 3 Saturday sessions, each helmed by a renowned chef. Chef Tony Khoo will touch on Italian cuisinesuch as Bechamel Sauce, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Oven-Baked Lagsane, and Tomato Provencale Sauce; Chef Leons Tan will touch on Japanese cuisine such as Tempura Of Pressed Tofu with Pumpkin Floss in Miso Herbed Broth, and Miso Herbed Broth; and, Chef Gary Lim will share some techniques on pastry making such as Bittersweet Chocolate Cupcake, and Coconut Mousse.

      Details
      Date: 7, 14 & 28 Sep 2013 (Sat)
      Time: 3 pm – 5 pm
      Venue: Venerable Hong Choon Memorial Hall, Dining Hall, Level 2
      Fees: $100 per person

      Those interested, please call 6849 5317 or email community@... before 03 Sep 2013.

      More information is available at http://www.kmspks.org/events/featured/
      international-vegetarian/

      Classes by Little Green Cafe

      Chef Shalu offers her next set of classes
      for September.

      3rd Sept, 2-5pm: Time to De-tox!
      Part of the Eat Well series, this class is for those who want to get back on track with healthy recipes that will cleanse the system and make you feel good from the inside out. Create delicious meals using ingredients that are low in fat, high in antioxidants and other nutrients.

      Menu: Green goddess soup, Japanese noodles with tofu, edamame and orange-ginger dressing, Quinoa and sweet potato cakes

      6th Sept, 11am-2pm: Sensational Soups and Salads
      Salads and soups don't have to be boring. These dishes are tempting, tasty and colourful, and designed to accompany and balance everyday meals by injecting lots of freshness and plenty of essential nutrients. And, most of them are substantial enough to be meals in themselves!

      Menu: Roasted balsamic beetroot, feta and orange salad, Moroccan-spiced roasted carrot and avocado salad, Chilled pea and cucumber soup with fresh mint

      8th Sept, 2-5pm: 30-Minute Meals
      This class is designed for busy bees who would like to enjoy a tasty, home-cooked and nutritious meal at the end of the day. Mouth–watering but simple to prepare, these meals will take you from chopping board to plate in 30 minutes or less.

      Menu: Easy vegetable paella, Quinoa with roasted vegetables and lentils, Flautas (pan–fried tortillas) with roasted tomato salsa

      11th Sept, 11am–2pm: Modern Thai cuisine
      Thai cooking is all about fresh flavours, with strong aromatic ingredients and a good level of spice. Great emphasis is placed on detail, variety and balance of four fundamental taste senses: sour, sweet, salty, and spicy. In this class, classic Thai dishes will be covered with a modern twist – inspired by the dishes at the famous Silk Restaurant, Phuket!

      Menu: Banana blossom salad with coconut–tamarind dressing, Classic tom yum goong, Creamy phaneang silken tofu curry

      13th Sept, 2–5pm: Tasty Tapas
      Entertain in style by learning some tasty tapas. Mouth–watering but simple to prepare, these hors d'oeuvres will surely impress your guests and add some fun to pre–dinner cocktails!

      Menu: Spicy corn and pea fritters, Sesame sweet potato wedges w/curried peanut sauce, Spinach & potato croquettes w/roasted tomato salsa

      17th Sept, 11am–2pm: Sensational Soups and Salads
      Salads and soups don't have to be boring. These dishes are tempting, tasty and colourful and they are designed to accompany and balance everyday meals by injecting lots of freshness and plenty of essential nutrients. And, most of them are substantial enough to be meals in themselves!

      Menu: Roasted balsamic beetroot, feta and orange salad, Moroccan–spiced roasted carrot and avocado salad, Chilled pea and cucumber soup with fresh mint

      19th Sept, 2–5pm: Vietnamese Cuisine
      Classic Vietnamese dishes with an emphasis on using the freshest herbs and vegetables. These dishes are light and tasty but full of flavour, perfect for our tropical climate.

      Menu: Fresh rice paper rolls w/mango & mint, spicy dipping sauce, Spicy tofu w/lemongrass & holy basil, Savoury crepe stuffed with tofu and crispy vegetables, fresh herbs

      23rd Sept, 2–5pm: Indian Cuisine
      Everybody loves Indian food but it's often daunting to recreate at home because of the sheer number of spices involved. This class will break it down for you and explain the use of ingredients, spices and techniques. Master the skills of cooking an authentic Indian meal from scratch.

      Menu: Vegetable butter masala (Garden vegetables in a fragrant creamy tomato sauce), Classic channa masala (Aromatic chick pea curry), Aloo tikkis (Spiced potato cutlets w/coriander chutney)

      Foody Flags of Vegan Friendly Countries

      An Australian advertising agency created some artistic food arrangements in conjunction with the Sydney International Food Festival, showcasing different national flags made of foods that represent the particular country. The following blog highlighted the flags that were made using (largely) vegan food items – http://www.peacefuldumpling.com/2013/08/
      flags–made–of–food–representing–vegan–
      friendly–countries/
      , enjoy.

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues.
      That’s how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement
      by VSS.

      Read back issues at: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/3.