Re: [vegsoc_sg] VSS eNewsletter 15 September 2012

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2012
      Thanks for your concern, Lily. The internet does strange things sometimes. --george

      On 17 September 2012 16:51, Lily Chong (TS) <lily@...> wrote:

      Hi Ganga,

      Actually, after I emailed to you, I managed to get the e-newsletter to appear as it did in the past (pls. see below) by clicking on “display in HTML”.

      Anyway, please don’t spend any more time on it – the important thing is that I managed to get it displayed as before! J

      Have a great week ahead!

      Kind regards,

      Lily Chong

      Hon. Secretary

      Singapore Lodge Theosophical Society

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Let Your Regular Shopping Support VegFund!

      VegFund empowers vegan activists worldwide by funding and supporting effective outreach activities that inspire people to choose and maintain a vegan lifestyle. Recently it was able to provide financial support for one of the projects undertaken by students at Raffles Institution under the guidance of VSS. Indeed, it is a very important ally for many start-up organisations and campaigns that provides a leg-up to many. One way to support this noble initiative is to simply click through the VegFund website to buy things from Amazon. There is absolutely no additional cost to you but going through the referral link means that VegFund will receive parts of the sales proceeds as a donation. What better way to be able to support such a vital organisation by simply doing things that you would do anyway?

      Please bookmark this link and share it with all your friends and family (no matter if they are vegetarian, vegan or otherwise) so that it becomes 'SOP' to go to Amazon through VegFund!

      http://www.vegfund.org/donate-shopping.html

      TopTop

      Create an Awareness Campaign and Win Cash

      The Health Promotion Board is organising a competition that encourages students to create awareness campaigns for various issues (e.g. smoking or health), and is offering cash prizes of up to $5,000. If you are currently a student (private or otherwise) and would like to represent the VSS in this competition, we will be more than happy to support and guide you.

      While there are several topics to choose from, the theme for the VSS-led team will be to promote the health argument by recommending a meat-free, dairy-free diet. If this idea interests you, please drop us an email at info@... and we will work with you from there to form a team and make the submission to HPB. You can choose to contact us as an interested individual or as a team from any school.

      You can find out more about the competition details at
      http://www.ntu.edu.sg/Students/Undergraduate/
      StudentServices/HealthAndCounselling/Documents/
      Project%20prodigy%20powerpoint%20%282%29.pdf
      and the topical requirements for various themes can be viewed at http://breathe.sg/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/
      Project-Prodigy-Handouts3.pdf.

      TopTop

      Free Rice at VSS Book Launch

      As part of World Heart Day, VSS will be taking up a booth at the event organised by Singapore Heart Foundation to launch our latest publication - called The Heart Smart Oil Free Cookbook - that shares oil-free recipes. The kind people of Sukha House have offered to support the launch by offering 3KG packets of brown rice to be given away to the first 200 persons who buy the book at our booth. So do come down to Ngee Ann City on 29 and 30 September (Saturday & Sunday) to get these goodies, show your support and enjoy yourself.

      TopTop

      VSS Replies to Article that 'Warns' Against Veg

      An article that appeared in the Straits Times last month cast a less than flattering light on a meat-free dietary lifestyle. The following reply was submitted to the national broadsheet, which was published on 24 August 2012:

      I refer to “Baby boomers, beware of going vegetarian” (ST, August 18). Marta Zaraska cites the increasing popularity of vegetarian diets in response to links between meat diets and such health problems as high cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.

      Zaraska then cautions that baby boomers need to plan their diets carefully if they choose to move away from meat. As a baby boomer (60 years old) who has been vegetarian for 30+ years and vegan for most of the last 10 years, I agree that vegetarians do need to pay attention to nutrients such as protein, calcium and B12.

      The American Dietetic Association (ADA) also advocates planned diets, for vegetarians and everyone else. The ADA’s 2009 paper on vegetarian (including vegan) diets states, “Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes”.

      Fortunately, planning a healthful plant based diet is easy, quick and inexpensive. With the exception of B12, we can obtain all the necessary nutrients while enjoying a range of delicious, widely available plant foods. For instance, calcium is found in sesame seeds, almonds, bok choy, broccoli, lady’s finger, tempeh and tofu. Also, some foods are fortified with nutrients such as calcium and B12, and supplements are widely available.

      As to protein, when young, we baby boomers were taught that animal based foods were our only protein source. We now know that protein is also found in many plant foods, including beans, grains, nuts and seeds.

      To me, however, the most powerful reason for eating only plant based foods concerns not health but kindness towards our fellow animals. In my lifetime, a major change has taken place in how animal foods reach our tables. We live now in the era of the factory farm, where animals, even fishes, are crowded together in unnatural conditions during their increasingly short lives (chickens live only six weeks). I’m happy to spend a little time planning my diet so that I can avoid participation in this cruel system of food supply and so that I can instead support a kinder way of eating.

      You can read the published version of this reply (and also join in the discussion via the comments section) at www.straitstimes.com/premium/forum-letters/story/
      nutrient-needs-vital-planning-healthy-vegan-diet-easy-20120824
      .

      TopTop

      Antioxidants for Cancer Prevention Workshop

      This 3-hour sharing is based on current findings from many fields in natural cures and holistic healing. Covering beyond diet, includes an often overlooked giant factor - our emotions, earthing and much more. The power of cancer fighting foods are highlighted with videos and made tasty by 2 food demos and sampling, introducing Amla (Indian goose berries), one of the highest antioxidant food known.

      This workshop is being conducted by Yeow (Loh Yeow Nguan), who has represented VSS in delivering talks, educational programmes for schools, and has conducted numerous workshops for many other public/private institutions. This workshop is being offered at a promotional price of $30 (usual price is $40) and is limited to 40 participants. Those who register for this workshop will also receive a door gift of a bottle of Amla powder (300ml).

      The workshop will be conducted at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106 Aljunied Crescent #01-205 on 13 October 2012 (1.30pm to 4.30pm). Registration and queries can be made by sending an email to Yeow at imu@... or via SMS to 9839 3769.

      TopTop

      9D Vegetarian Cultural Tour to Korea

      An independent veg travel enthusiast is currently organizing a tour to Korea. The tour price of S$2,550 includes meals, accommodation, entry, guide fee as per itinerary, airfare + taxes (might change slightly based on the date of confirmation). Some of the attractions that will be experienced include Pungnammun Gate, Mai Mountain, Samjicheong Village, Suncheon Nagan Folk Culture, Suncheon Bay Natural Ecology Park, Naejangsan National Park, Naejangsan Mountain, Nami Island, Namsan Park, Seaweed Museum, temple stay experience (Zen meditation & tea ceremony), and Seoul local market visit.

      For more details and the full itinerary, please contact Violet at violet_lyh@....

      TopTop

      First Vegan Cooking Video in Singapore

      There are many videos out there that show chefs demonstrating how to prepare a dish or two and a handful that cover vegan cuisine. Now we have our very own local version to celebrate. Produced by Kalavira Vegan School, Chef Halimah demonstrates how to prepare Vegan Rojak in this inaugural video. You can catch the 10-minute clip and show your support for this initiative by visiting the following link: http://kalavira.com/vegan-chinese-rojak-2.

      TopTop

      Vegan Dog Food in Singapore – Lively Doggie

      Here are some vegan kibbles made with love! The makers of Lively Doggie are animal lovers and have had the dogs’ welfare when producing this great dog food. Filled with goodness and nutrition - prepared with care and love - it is the ideal treat for your canine companion. If your dog is sensitive to meat, or for some reason he/she needs to be on a vegan diet, then Lively Doggie is the choice for your dog! Made from a fine selection of tasty and simple all-natural ingredients, it is a 100% complete, nutritionally-balanced food that is highly digestible and free of meat, meat by-products and diary.

      Some of the key ingredients include Chlorella, that keeps the body balanced and combats against high acidity with its high chlorophyll content that detoxifies heavy-metals; hypoallergenic Peptide protein that increases the metabolic rate and allows for easy absorption with less waste; Oligofructose and yeast that promotes bowel motion and metabolism by encouraging friendly live cultures; and Flaxseed that protects the skin, aids in its recovery and adds shine to the fur.

      The local distributor has kindly agreed to offer a 40% discount to all VSS members – you can get one 2KG pack of Lively Doggie for just S$27 (usual price S$45) and the delivery charge of S$8 will be waived in you purchase a set of 2 packets as well. This offer will be available until 30 Sep 2012, so do hurry and place your order soon.

      To order, please send an email to order@... and the terms are cash-on-delivery. The distributor also offers the option of internet bank transfer to UOB Current Account 3793020129 or POSB Savings Account 103166578 if that is more convenient.

      TopTop

      Infographic to Share with Meat Eaters

      We often hear the erroneous criticism that a meat-free diet lacks protein but what about the opposite effect – that many people are consuming way beyond their daily requirement of protein? An easy-to-understand infographic tells the tale of eating too much protein. View it at http://blog.friendseat.com/do-you-eat-too-much-protein-infographic.

      TopTop

      Ami's Veggie Hearts - Classes for September

      If you would like to learn how to cook a wholesome vegetarian meal, then Ami’s Veggie Heart’s Thai Vegetarian Cooking Classes might be just the thing for you this month.

      Wed 19 Sep 10am-12noon
      • Lemon Grass soup
      • Tofu starter
      • Pad Thai-Noodles

      Sat 22 Sep 10am-12.30pm
      • Stir-Fried Tofu with Lemongrass and Herbs
      • Pineapple Fried Rice
      • Dessert - Sticky Rice with Mango

      Wed 26 Sep 10am-12Noon
      • Spicy Vermicelli Noodle Salad
      • Green Curry
      • Basil Rice

      Sat 29 Aug 10.30am-12.30pm
      *Special Class

      To register, please send an email to ami@... or call 91446105. Do sign up at least 3 days ahead to guarantee a seat. Fees of $75 are payable in cash during the session. Custom requirements or special requests can be made to Ami at the above email or phone number.

      TopTop

      Classes by Little Green Cafe

      Shalu Asnani, the vegetarian chef of Little Green Cafe, offers her fresh line-up of classes for September and October. She has recently obtained her professional diploma in vegetarian cuisine from Cordon Vert and has lots of new ideas and recipes to share.

      17 Sep, 7-10pm: Contemporary cuisine
      Whether you’re hosting a fancy dinner party, or you just want to enjoy some gourmet meals at home, learn simple techniques and how to use ingredients creatively to create delectable meals that will be the envy of your friends!

      Recipe: Creamy mushroom and herb pate, Aubergine roulade (with creamy butter beans and roasted tomatoes), Spinach & feta pie in a filo shell

      20 Sep, 7-10pm: Sensational Soups & Salads
      Salads and soups don’t have to be boring. These dishes are tempting, tasty and colourful and they are designed to accompany and balance your everyday meals by injecting lots of freshness and plenty of essential nutrients. And, most of them are substantial enough to be meals in themselves!

      Recipe: Warm new potato and asparagus salad, Roast beetroot, feta and orange salad w/caramelised walnuts, Chilled pea and cucumber soup w/fresh mint

      23 Sep, 10am-1pm: Indian Vegetarian
      Everybody loves Indian food but it’s often daunting to recreate at home because of the sheer number of spices involved. Learn how to use the ingredients, spices and techniques effectively and master the skill of cooking an authentic Indian meal from scratch.

      Recipe: Vegetable butter masala (Garden vegetables in a spiced, creamy tomato curry), Classic channa masala (Chick pea curry), Spiced potato cutlets w/coriander chutney

      25 Sep, 7-10pm: Mastering Tofu
      Tofu is often overlooked as most people don’t know how to cook it in a flavourful way. Learn the basic techniques on using this highly versatile, protein-packed ingredient in a variety of cooking styles and discover some surprises about cooking with tofu. You will see the humble tofu in a new light!

      Recipe: Crispy silken tofu w/orange-ginger reduction, Grilled tofu cakes w/spicy tomato salsa, Spicy tofu with lemongrass & holy basil

      2 Oct, 7-10pm: Festive Cooking I
      These mouth-watering recipes put a modern twist on festive food and are a joy to experience – whether you are cooking for vegetarians or meat-eaters. Bring on the holiday spirit!

      Recipe: Creamy pumpkin soup with sage and cheese croutons, Roasted pear salad with blue cheese and cranberry vinaigrette, Spinach, mushroom and leek quiche

      11 Oct, 10am-1pm: Festive Cooking II
      These mouth-watering recipes put a modern twist on festive food and are a joy to experience – whether you are cooking for vegetarians or meat-eaters. Bring on the holiday spirit!

      Recipe: Baked brie parcel with caramelised onion and spiced apple, Roasted mixed potatoes with balsamic and rosemary, Stuffed fig, feta and walnut salad

      14 Oct, 2-5pm: Asian Salads
      Salads don’t have to be boring. Spice up your meal and add some colour with an exotic Asian-inspired salad. Learn how to create salads which are highly nutritious, fun and tasty using lots of fresh herbs and local spices - a great accompaniment to any meal.

      Recipe: Thai pomelo salad w/coconut-tamarind dressing, Mango & avocado salad w/chilli-lime dressing, Gado-gado (Indonesian-style salad w/piquant peanut sauce)

      25 Oct, 7-10pm: Tasty Tapas
      Entertain in style by learning some tasty tapas. Mouth-watering but simple to prepare, these hors d’oeuvres will surely impress your guests and add some fun to pre-dinner cocktails!

      Recipe: Wasabi pea fritters, Sesame sweet potato wedges w/curried peanut sauce, Spinach & potato croquettes w/roasted tomato salsa

      28 Oct, 10am-1pm: Brunch at home
      Love going out for Sunday brunch? How about doing at home for a change? Learn how to recreate sweet and savoury brunch favourites that will make you the perfect weekend host!

      Recipe: Scrummy crumpets w/ roasted beetroot and goat's cheese, Sweet potato & basil cakes w/tzatiki, Orange-ricotta pancakes w/toasted almonds

      To register, please email shalu@.... Private classes can also be arranged on request (with a 20%-off promotion for the month of September), with home chef services also available - visit www.littlegreencafe.com.sg for more information.

      TopTop

      Chef Halimah's Classes for October

      Date &
      Time