VSS eNewsletter 15 August 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2012

      Editor’s Note

      VSS NEWS

      Help VSS Put Up Posters at Your School or Work

      Report on Organic Tour to Taiwan

      GENERAL NEWS

      Sustainability Workshop by Ananda Marga

      Special Classes by Yes Natural

      Ami's Veggie Hearts - Classes for August

      Nutrihub Classes Return

      Classes by Little Green Cafe

      Chef Halimah's Classes for September

      Dr Pachauri on the impact of eating less meat

      Notice from Jelina Vegetarian Garden

      Introducing Vegtoons

      Here’s to a Happy National Day to everyone. One of the ways to demonstrate your patriotism is by ensuring Singapore remains ‘clean and green’ for the long haul!

      Gangasudhan,
      Operations Coordinator

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Help VSS Put Up Posters at Your School or Work

      VSS (along with more than 25 other NGOs) endorses Veggie Thursday, which encourages the nation to go meat-free on Thursdays. Our volunteers have designed 5 posters to promote VT in schools and restaurants, so if you are part of any organization (school/restaurant/company) that would like to spread the word and have these posters put up, please email ashley@... or send us a FB message at http://www.facebook.com/vegetariansocietysingapore. The 5 posters are about health and nutrition, the environment, and kindness to animals.

      TopTop

      Report on Organic Tour to Taiwan

      One participant in a recent organic farm tour to Taiwan , Mr Lim Wai Cheng, shares with the VSS his experience.

      “Organic farming is fast gaining popularity in Taiwan . Farmers switched to organic farming, with the hope to transform their farming land to a sustainable and eco-friendly one. It is a new challenge, in terms of farming skill and livelihood sustainability. To enhance the source of income, many farmers set up B&B, called minsu (
      宿) to include farm stay for tourists to experience hands-on farming and the health benefits of organic products.

      A group of like-minded people, who are tired of the usual shopping and eating tour, organized a trip to Taiwan and stayed in minsu all the way for 8 days on a vegetarian diet. Having gone through it, I realized that it was not about food alone. Much has been written on global warming and saving the earth. Exactly, what an ordinary person like me can do to help move in this direction? Going vegan is one way to be kind to the earth. We will save tons of crops to feed human instead of animals, reduce greenhouse gas emission and water pollution from farm agriculture.

      What impressed me in Taiwan was not the slogan on saving the earth I read on the papers and internet. It was the down-to-earth way that young graduates undertake to make this happen. Farming is a tough life - getting scorched in the hot sun, hard labor and no annual leave. Putting aside sedentary urban lifestyle, these young people learn to interact with nature in a meaningful way, and fully apply their academic knowledge to pursue their dream to improve their homeland and create a better future for their people.

      Now come to the food. It was simply delicious! Life was simple in the countryside. I got up at 5.30 am to exercise for an hour, and had breakfast at 7.30 am. Every meal began with fruits and salad with DIY sauce, followed by soup, cooked vegetables and brown rice or mantou, buns made from wholemeal flour. Most ingredients were from the farm. It was so refreshing and energizing to eat in this way. My body reacted well and the digestive system functioned efficiently. Food was palatable, especially salad in its natural freshness. Chinese culinary skills emphasize on the enhancement of color, aroma and taste ?
      色香味? to win the stomach. Very often, little attention is paid to the nutritional value, and heavy seasoning disguises the taste so much so that we do not know the real taste of fresh vegetables.

      Up in Alishan where we stayed 2 nights and had 5 meals, cabbage was served every meal but in different ways. Be it raw, blanched or stir fried, cabbage was always the first dish to clear. Fresh vegetables score higher in terms of color, fragrance and taste, if only we can reset our mindset about a vegan diet and give it a chance. Rather than hovering on a vague target of eating less meat, start with a NO Meat Monday, Vegan Thursday, and move on gradually from here. Replace the usual snack with fresh fruits and multigrain/herbal beverage. Our body will tell us what it actually needs to run efficiently. Drink warm water to subdue the craving for food. Discipline will come with reward of lasting good habits which leads to good health.

      From the interaction with the Taiwanese, I realized that they are good at
      养生, that is, maintaining good health in a natural way. The virtue of 敬老尊贤, respect for the elderly, is very much emphasized and practiced in their society. I returned home enriched physically, mentally and spiritually, thanks to all the people I met in Taiwan.”

      TopTop

      Sustainability Workshop by Ananda Marga

      A Vegetarianism & Sustainability Workshop has been organized by Ananda Marga which will look at how our values and lifestyle choices impact positively or negatively on our health and the environment (the earth’s resources such as soil, water, energy, air, land, forests etc.) and why our traditional, meat-based diets will have to go the way of the dinosaurs. In addition, the steps we can take to create a positive carbon footprint for Mother Earth will also be shared.

      Date: 31 Aug
      Trainer: Dada Shiilabhadrananda
      Time: 7.30pm � 9pm
      Venue: #07-01 Parkway Centre
      Price: Free

      TopTop

      Special Classes by Yes Natural

      Yes Natural will be conducting free healthy lifestyle classes at the Yes Natural Bakery (2nd Floor) near Aljunied MRT. The classes will be conducted in Mandarin and is free to attend. Lessons will focus on vegetarian diets and the eco-friendly lifestyle.

      Date: Every Sunday from 9/9/2012 to 28/10/2012 (8 lessons)
      Fee: Free (note: $40 refundable deposit is required and will be refunded once 6 lessons are completed)
      Time?3pm - 5pm
      Venue?55A Lorong 27 Geylang
      Contact Person: Ms Iris or Koh Lee Yong at Tel: 6547-1580 (call to register)

      Participants are advised to bring their own eating utensils for food tasting so that disposable utensils can be avoided. The lessons will cover topics on modern food harzards, why and how to adapt to plant based diets, mental health, and our relationship with the Earth and other living beings.

      TopTop

      Ami's Veggie Hearts - Classes for August

      If you would like to learn how to cook a wholesome vegetarian meal, then Ami’s Veggie Heart's upcoming Mexican and Italian cooking classes might just be your thing.

      Wed 01 Aug 10am-12noon
      Special Paneer making Class

      Sat 04 Aug 10am-12noon
      Introducing a no-hassle time-saving cooker and how to improvise without losing on taste

      Wed 08 Aug 10am-12Noon
      Yellow Dal + Cabbage and Green Peas Vegetable + Spiced Rice

      Sat 11 Aug 10.30am-12.30pm
      How to plan/organize a meal and arrange a plate

      Wed 15 Aug 10am-12Noon
      Yummy Rajma + Potato vegetable with Spices and herbs + Cucumber Raita + Cumin Rice/Paratha

      Sat 18 Aug 10.30am-12.30pm
      Vegan Black Dal + Cauliflower with Black Pepper + Coriander Rice/Roti

      Wed 21 Aug 10.30am-12.30pm
      Stuffed Cauliflower + Carrot Raita + Saffron Rice/Chapati

      Sat 25 Aug 10.30am-12.30pm
      Special Class

      To register, please send an email to ami@... or call 91446105. Do sign up at least 3 days ahead to guarantee a seat. Fees of $75 are payable in cash during the session. Custom requirements or special requests can be made to Ami at the above email or phone number.

      TopTop

      Nutrihub Classes Return

      Sat 15 Sep from 3pm to 6pm
      "Healthy Living - NutriMeal Cooking" - Vegan Cooking class

      Sat 22 Sep from 3pm to 6pm
      "Healthy Living - Raw like Cooked" - Raw Food class

      Sat 29 Sep from 2pm to 6pm
      "Healthy Living - NutriBake" - Vegan Baking class

      You may view details on the Nutrihub blog at www.nutrihub.blogspot.com. NutriHub also provides private or corporate classes customised to your needs. Please contact Vinitha @ 9-2368402 for enquiry / registration.

      TopTop

      Classes by Little Green Cafe

      Shalu Asnani, the vegetarian chef of Little Green Cafe, offers her fresh line-up of classes for August and September.

      Aug 23rd, 7-10pm: Indian Vegetarian
      Master the skills of cooking an authentic 3-course Indian meal from scratch. Learn about the different spices used and how to combine ingredients and balance flavours to make a variety of dishes.

      Recipe: Vegetable butter masala, Aloo tikkis, Channa masala

      Aug 26th, 10am-1pm: Asian Tapas
      Dainty, interesting appetisers. Entertain in style by learning some tasty tapas, Asian style!

      Recipe:Vietnamese fried spring rolls with nuoc cham, Chickpea & potato cutlets with spicy chutney, Tofu & vegetable satays with peanut sauce

      Aug 26th, 2-5pm: Asian Salads
      Spice up your meal and add some colour with an exotic Asian-inspired salad. Using lots of fresh herbs and local spices, these salads are highly nutritious, fun and tasty - a great entrée to any meal.

      Recipe: Thai pomelo salad with coconut-tamarind dressing, Kredok (Indonesian-style raw salad with peanuts), Vietnamese noodle salad with nuoc cham, Cucumber and mint raita

      Aug 27th, 7-10pm: Indian Vegetarian
      Master the skills of cooking an authentic Indian meal from scratch. Learn about the different spices used and how to combine ingredients to make a variety of dishes.

      Recipe: Vegetable koftas, Keralan eggplant curry, Aloo gobi

      Aug 30th, 7-10pm: Asian Salads
      Spice up your meal and add some colour with an exotic Asian-inspired salad. Using lots of fresh herbs and local spices, these salads are highly nutritious, fun and tasty - a great entrée to any meal.

      Recipe: Thai pomelo salad with coconut-tamarind dressing, Kredok (Indonesian-style raw salad with peanuts), Vietnamese noodle salad with nuoc cham, Cucumber and mint raita

      Sep 3rd, 7-10pm: Indian Vegetarian
      Master the skills of cooking an authentic Indian meal from scratch. Learn about the different spices used and how to combine ingredients to make a variety of curries.

      Recipe: Saag aloo, Vegetable pakoras, Sindhi curry

      Sep 4th, 7-10pm: Sri Lankan cuisine
      If you have not tried Sri Lankan cuisine, don’t miss this chance to learn some spectacular homestyle dishes. The cuisine is simple, flavourful and spicy curries with an interesting twist.

      Recipe: Eggplant moju, Okra in coconut curry, Spicy black pepper mushrooms, Coconut sambol

      Sep 6th, 7-10pm: Flavours of Laos
      Great opportunity to learn more about Lao cuisine, which is really tasty but hard to find outside of Laos. Open your mind to some fresh new flavours!

      Recipe: Ua Si Khai (Stuffed Lemongrass), Jeau Mak Keua (Smoked Eggplant Dip), Tofu in Coconut Cream

      Sep 18th, 7-10pm: Mastering Tofu
      Tofu is an ingredient that's often ignored because most people do not know how to cook it in a flavourful way. Today you will learn how to use this highly versatile, protein-packed ingredient in a variety of cooking styles and you will see the humble tofu in a new light!

      Recipe: Tofu cutlets with spicy tomato salsa, Spicy scrambled tofu, Tofu and mushroom amok

      Sep 20th, 7-10pm: Vegan cuisine
      This class is specially catered for vegans, but is open to everyone. Learn some healthy recipes using the most surprising ingredients to replace everyday dairy products. Low in fat, high in taste!

      Recipe: No-cream of mushroom soup, Vietnamese savoury crepe with spicy dipping sauce, Spicy scrambled tofu

      Sep 23rd, 10am: Brunch at Home
      Love going out for Sunday brunch? How about doing it at home for a change? Get some inspiration in this class and learn some sweet and savoury brunch favourites to turn your weekend around!

      Recipe: Orange-ricotta pancakes, Sweet potato cakes with Tzatiki, Spicy Scrambled “Eggs”

      Sep 25th, 7-10pm: Sri Lankan cuisine
      If you have not tried Sri Lankan cuisine, don’t miss this chance to learn some spectacular homestyle dishes. The cuisine is simple, flavourful and spicy curries with an interesting twist.

      Recipe: Eggplant moju, Okra in coconut curry, Spicy black pepper mushrooms, Coconut sambol

      The above classes will be held at Palate Sensations (Buona Vista). To register, please email shalu@.... Private classes can also be arranged on request, with home chef services also available - visit www.littlegreencafe.com.sg for more information.

      TopTop

      Chef Halimah's Classes for August

      Date &
      Time

      Lesson
      Description

      Cost

      4 Sept
      (Tues)

      11am-
      2pm

      Savory Pie Delights
      • Creamy Mini Mushroom Pies

      • Shepherd’s Pie

      • Curried Vegetable Pie

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make three very different pies with delicious fillings.

      *Gluten-Free Options Available

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)