VSS eNewsletter 15 April 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14 8:57 PM

      Editor’s Note

      VSS NEWS

      Visit the Veg Food Fair at Jurong Point – 21 & 22 Apr

      First Eco Canteen in NUS

      VSS Inbox

      GENERAL NEWS

      A Better World? Lessons from the ECOsystem

      New Outlet at Neil Road – World Peace Café

      Ice-Cream Workshop by Soyato

      Ami's Veggie Hearts – Classes for April & May

      Chef Halimah's Classes for April and May

      Classes by Little Green Cafe

      Nutrihub Classes for April

      Meat-Free Magazine for Hong Kong

      VERO 2.0 is Launched

      Kampung Senang LoHep Circle & Sharing Session

      Speciesism: The Movie

      With April promising a jam-packed schedule for environmentalists, animal welfare activists and vegetarians alike, we hope that you will be able to make a meaningful impact this month. Do consider being a part of the VSS initiative at Jurong Point and come lend your support for the Veg Food Fair there next weekend.

      Gangasudhan,
      Operations Coordinator

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Visit the Veg Food Fair at Jurong Point – 21 & 22 Apr

      To celebrate Earth Day, The VSS and Jurong Point are joining hands to conduct a veg food fair for the shoppers at Jurong Point. Comprising of food demos and booths by Delcie's, Fave, Zen Xin and Brownice, some interesting products will be on display for the public to sample and purchase. The event will be over 2 days across the special weekend and we hope to engage the many who visit the shopping centre.

      As this will be an all-day event, we are in need of as many volunteers as possible to help us reach out to the voluminous crowd that is expected. If you have some time on your hands next weekend and would like to make an impact on behalf of the veg movement, please drop our Operations Coordinator an email at ganga@....

      TopTop

      First Eco Canteen in NUS

      NUS Arts school canteen is recognised as the first eco canteen in Singapore and the stall vendors there are very cooperative and encourage environmentally-friendly initiatives such as no plastic bag and recycling food waste. There are many posters around the canteen, including one of Meatless Thursday. This has been possible due to the tireless effort of NUS SAVE which has transformed the canteen into an eco-dining place. The good work by NUS SAVE has inspired other students at NTU to explore ways to spread the Veggie Thursday message at their campus, especially on how to transform NTU canteens into similar environmentally-friendly eating places.

      TopTop

      VSS Inbox

      Marvellous Veg Stall Found

      An excited VSS member contacted us last week to share his discovery of a coffeeshop stall serving good vegetarian food. Realising that the stall has not yet been listed in the VSS Veg Outlet database, he wanted to make sure that fellow vegetarians will not miss out on the availability of this stall.

      "I moved to Serangoon Central a little over a month ago and – as would be expected of someone who is a vegetarian (i.e. loves Chinese food but does not know how to cook) – went in search of a vegetarian Chinese food stall, but could not find any in the vicinity. A local resident pointed me to a discreet vegetarian Chinese food stall by the name Miao Shan Vegetarian. I did not see this eating place listed on the VSS directory, hence my reason for sharing this information.

      In about a month I have already had around 15 meals at this place and I can go on for months. The food here is marvellous and has NO Eggs, NO Alcohol, NO Garlic and NO Onion – and you don't miss any of this. The food stall is run by a charming, courteous and joyous couple known as Mr & Ms Liong. Every day of the week there are two special dishes so you have no repeats for a week at least. The food stall is ideally located for residents of Serangoon and those visiting NEX@Serangoon for shopping, movies or the library.

      The exact address for Miao Shan Vegetarian is BLK 262 Serangoon Central Drive (adjacent to the old bus interchange) #01-89, LA KOPI, Singapore (550262). It is open daily from 6AM to 1PM only. It is advisable to get there early by noon as the food runs out quickly. Also as would be expected, new moon and full moon days are quite busy.

      Happy eating, from Arjun C."

      TopTop

      A Better World? Lessons from the ECOsystem

      Together with the Singapore Chapter of The Zeitgeist Movement, ECO Singapore is proud to present a series of multimedia presentations, talks and discussions, where what the ecosystem has to teach us can be explored as well as what we are, where we’ve come from and to where we may ultimately be headed.

      Sat 28 Apr, from 5.15pm to 9pm
      Location: *SCAPE, Level 4 (No Limits Lab)

      This is a free event and the organisers request that you RSVP by 26 Apr so that the correct amount of food can be catered. You can officially RSVP at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?
      formkey=dHFqb2RtZWg3a3NfVGo2c1l6QUNrVmc6MQ
      or visit the event's facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/275439932538648/.

      TopTop

      New Outlet at Neil Road – World Peace Café

      There is a new veg outlet to try if you are near SGH for any reason. It is called World Peace Cafe and is situated along Neil Road .

      Address: 134 Neil Road, Singapore 088863
      Tel: 64381127
      Operating Days & Hours: Mon–Fri, from 11am to 2.30pm (closed on public holidays)
      Email: cafemanager@...
      Website: http://wpc.sg
      Specialty Dishes: salads, sandwiches, soups, sides, drinks
      Brown Rice: at present, no rice items
      Dairy or Egg Products: many items contain egg and dairy although there are some vegan items
      Onion and Garlic: onion and garlic used in some items
      MSG: not used
      Organic Products: do not use organic products
      Delivery Service: do not do delivery
      Catering Service: none
      Price Range of Main Dish: $5–$10

      TopTop

      Ice-Cream Workshop by Soyato

      The popular dairy-free soy ice-cream makers at Soyato are conducting an ice-cream making workshop later this month. Combining both some theory on the history of ice-cream and the science behind the different versions, the workshop includes a live demonstration and some hands-on practice as well.

      There will be 2 sessions of the workshop and registration can be made by sending an email to hello@.... For more information, you can visit Soyato's facebook page at www.facebook.com/soyato.

      Workshop + High Tea on 25 Apr 2012
      Location: Brew 1819 ( Shenton Way )
      Price: $35

      Workshop + Lunch on 28 Apr 2012
      Location: Healthy Cafe at Alexandra Retail Centre
      Price: $40

      TopTop

      Ami's Veggie Hearts – Classes for April & May

      If you would like to learn how to cook a wholesome vegetarian meal, then Ami’s Veggie Heart's upcoming Mexican and Italian cooking classes might just be your thing.

      Wed 18 Apr, 11am-1pm ($70)
      Mexican Soup + Broccoli n Corn Salad + Mexican Rice

      Sat 21 Apr, 11am-1pm ($70)
      Zucchini Quesadillas + Layered Tortillas + Enchiladas

      Wed 25 Apr, 11am-1pm ($70)
      Cheese Quesadillas + Fajitas + Mexican Rice

      Wed 09 May, 11am-1pm ($70)
      Pesto Bruchettas + Penne Pesto Pasta + Lentil Bolognese

      Wed 16 May, 11am-1pm ($70)
      Herbed Bread + Zucchini Fritters (with Dip) + Shelled Pasta

      To register, please send an email to ami@... or call 91446105. Do sign up at least 3 days ahead to guarantee a seat. Fees are payable in cash during the session.

      TopTop

      Chef Halimah's Classes for April and May

      Date

      Lesson
      Description

      Cost

      5
      May
      (Sat)

      10am-1pm

      Meal in a Pie
      • Shepherd's Pie

      • Curried Vegetable Pie

      • Mini Creamy Mushroom Pies

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Join this popular class on how to make three delicious and wholesome pies.

      5
      May
      (Sat)

      2.30-5.30pm

      Fruity Cakes!
      • Moist Banana Cake with Caramel Cream

      • Apple Blueberry Cake with Vanilla Cream

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Two healthy and yummy cakes made with delicious fruits.

      12
      May
      (Sat)

      10am-1pm

      Mother's Day Special
      • Strawberry Cupcakes

      • Lemon Scones with Jam Filling

      • Vanilla Shortbread Hearts (Cookie)

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Surprise your mum with three different types of desserts that are sure to satiate her sweet-tooth.

      12
      May
      (Sat)

      2.30-5.30pm

      Go Fruits Over Tartlets
      • Banana Custard Tartlets with Chocolate Crust

      • Tropical Fruit Tartlets

      • Lemon Curd Tartlets

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Three tartlets; three different fillings. Learn how to make a party favourite that is guaranteed to wow your guests!

      19
      May
      (Sat)

      10am-1pm

      Sweeten Up with Pies
      • Apple Pie With Lattice Work

      • No-Bake Zingy Citrus Pie

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make a traditional fruit pie and a 'no-bake' pie. Different filling options will be taught as well.

      19
      May
      (Sat)

      2.30-5.30pm

      Classic American Cakes
      • Red Velvet Cake (with natural food colouring)

      • Devils' Food Cake

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make two traditional American cakes using wholesome natural ingredients.

      26
      May
      (Sat)

      10am-1pm

      Cupcakes Galore!
      • Chocolate Cupcake with Caramel Drizzle

      • Green Tea Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream

      • Banana Split Cupcakes

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make three yummy cupcakes that are sure to be a hit!

      26
      May
      (Sat)

      2.30-5.30pm

      Go Nuts with Doughnuts!
      • Yeast Doughnuts (Fried)

      • Baked Doughnuts

      • White Icing Glaze

      • Chocolate Glaze

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make two types of doughnuts; one that uses the traditional frying method and the other baked.

      Please email Chef Halimah at halimah.i@... to reserve your place. You can also see photos and read testimonials at the Kalavira Vegan School website – www.kalavira.com.

      TopTop

      Classes by Little Green Café

      Shalu Asnani, the vegetarian chef of Little Green Cafe has another line-up of classes for all of us.

      Apr 26, 7pm-10pm: Flavours of Indochine
      Palate Sensations supports Veggie Thursday! Join this increasingly popular movement by going veg one day a week and doing your bit for the environment. We’ll help by teaching you some fantastic dishes that are guaranteed to not make you miss meat at all! Sample some of the best food in Asia from the Indochina region. A combination of Vietnamese, Lao and Cambodian dishes, exotic flavours with an incredibly fresh taste.

      Menu: Banh Xeo (Vietnamese savoury crepe); Mushroom & Tofu Amok; and Lao-style Eggplant Dip

      May 17, 7-10pm: Indian Vegetarian
      Master the skills of cooking an authentic Indian meal from scratch. Explanation on spices

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)