VSS eNewsletter 15 February 2012

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2012

      Editor’s Note

      VSS NEWS

      VSS AGM

      New Corporate Members

      In the Media

      VSS at Animal Welfare Symposioum

      World Water Day

      'So Frail and Weak'

      VSS Inbox

      GENERAL NEWS

      Healthy Lifestyle Classes

      New Classes from Ami's Veggie Heart

      The Latest from Halimah

      Veg Salad Bar Near Orchard

      Little Green Café

      New Restaurant in Bukit Timah

      Stats on SG Food Consumption

      How I Became a Vegan

      21-Day Healthy Challenge in Mandarin

      VSS is changing the schedule of the e-newsletter you are now reading. To devote time to other activities and because of our use of online tools, such as Facebook and Twitter, the VSS E-Newsletter will appear in your Inbox only once a month or perhaps less often.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      VSS AGM

      The VSS Annual General Meeting will be held on Sat, 3 Mar, 3–6pm, at Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-205, Singapore 380106, 5 mins walk from Aljunied MRT. All attendees will be given a copy of the Annual Report for 2011 and a special door gift.

      You can also download the Annual Report here.

      •  3pm: Registration
      •  Screening of excerpts from the Forks Over Knives documentary.

      Agenda:
      a. President's welcome
      b. Minutes of the 12th AGM
      c. Annual report for 2011
      d. Financial report for 2011
      e. Elect office bearers
      f. Elect 2 honorary auditors
      g. Any other business

      Complimentary meals from Kampung Senang's organic kitchen will be provided after the AGM. To reserve your meal, please RSVP to events@... by Fri, 26 Feb.

      TopTop

      New Corporate Members

      VSS is happy to welcome two new corporate members. The first, El Toro restaurant on Penang Road , is a restaurant that offers Latin cuisine, both vegetarian and non vegetarian: http://www.eltoro.com.sg

      The second new VSS corporate member is probably already known to readers of this e-newsletter. VeganBurg is a vegetarian fast food restaurant, now with two outlets, one near Eunos MRT and, just opened last month, an outlet near Golden Shoe Food Centre: http://www.veganburg.com

      TopTop

      In the Media

      VSS members have been active in writing to local newspapers about issues relevant to our mission: educating the public about the many benefits of eating less or no meat.

      Here are some of our writings that were published:

      http://www.vegetarian–society.org/
      files/20120107STForum.pdf

      http://www.vegetarian–society.org/files/
      20120110TODAY.pdf

      http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC120125-
      0000036/Balance–is–key–in–a–good–vegetarian–diet

      Please note that many publications, including print publications, such as Straits Times, also have online venues for readers' comments. We need the pro-veg public to make our voices heard.

      TopTop

      VSS at Animal Welfare Symposioum

      VSS will be on hand at the Singapore Animal Welfare Symposium and Public Forum on Animal Welfare Policies, Sat, 25 Feb, 8am–5pm, Chong Pang CC, 21 Yishun Ring Road, S. 768677. Details at http://www.acres.org.sg/events/2ndforum.html.

      Organised by our friends at ACRES – www.acres.org.sg. Seats are on a first come, first served basis; registration recommended: http://www.acres.org.sg/events/register.html

      TopTop

      World Water Day

      Every year, the United Nations organises World Water Day to focus attention on how precious water is. This year, the theme is on food, including the hidden water in food, for example, everything we eat needed water. However, as the UN points out, some foods use and pollute more water than do other foods. In particular, the "water footprint" of meat tends to be much larger than the water footprint of plant based foods.

      To raise public awareness of the hidden water in food, Veggie Thursday – www.veggiethursday.sg – a project of 25+ local NGOs (including VSS) is holding a dinner on 22 March, World Water Day. Visit the Veggie Thursday website or FB page for details.

      TopTop

      'So Frail and Weak'

      For the VSS eNewsletter, editing duties are shared by Gangasudhan and George Jacobs. Recently, George received the following forwarded email from Shi'an who has at least two things in common with George: both eat plant based diets and both edit enewsletters. The email was sent to Shi'an by someone who is a former vegetarian.

      I saw George Jacobs today. He looks so frail and weak and I think his Vegan diet is not well-balanced enough. However, I consider the odds. I shall stick to more Vegetables and little meat because it's beyond cost, efforts, ability, etc to go back to a Vegetarian diet again. I need to eat and very balance... not easy, look at Jacobs.

      George replied:

      Thanks for forwarding this. Always nice to know how others see you. Pls tell that person I challenge them to a swimming race, a walking race, or a tennis or badminton match. Cheers.

      After a few minutes reflection, George added:

      Actually, what bothers me more than what the comment says about me is what it says about how people think. Do their thoughts bounce around like a ping pong ball, so that when they see a vegan who, according to their definition, is healthy, they think being vegan makes you healthy, and then 10 minutes later, if they see a vegan who doesn't match their definition of healthy, they change their mind and think, "No, being a vegan will make me unhealthy".

      Every five years, people should be required to do a refresher course in the scientific method. [if u don't mind, pls send this along, too. BTW, I'm perfectly happy to let this person remain anonymous. This discussion isn't personal.]

      Later, George's new friend (as the Chinese saying puts it, "If we never fight, how can we ever come to know each other") replied directly to him:

      I understand that Mr. Shi'an had emailed you my comment about you. First of all, I would like to extend my apologies for being rude.

      Secondly, the reason why I am giving up on Vegetarianism is because I am having weak limbs and body. I also do not know what's the best way to go on a Vegetarian diet.

      Due to the push from you and Mr. Shi'an, I decided to give another try on Vegetarianism, but I would urgently need "sample meals" (Chinese ones preferred) to get started. I would like to be a lacto-ovo for the time being. I think not all people are suitable for a vegetarian diet. Please help me reconsider vegetarianism again. Thanks.

      Finally, George replied:

      No offense taken. Indeed, I like it when people are frank.

      I'm very glad that you have decided to give vegetarianism another try. As Shi'an pointed out, everyone is different, although 100s of millions of people in India seem to have done well on vegetarian diets.

      Attached is a list of health professionals who have a special interest in vegetarianism. For their regular fee, they will be happy to help you assess any special needs you might have.

      As to restaurants, firstly, vegetarian food abounds in SG, even at non-veg eateries. Also, many veg stalls offer egg dishes, and dairy products, while not common in Chinese eateries, are readily available at supermarkets, Italian eateries, Indian eateries and sandwich shops.

      Good luck. Feel free to stay in touch. And my offer regarding tennis, etc. still holds. Cheers --george

      BTW, it's very unlikely that anyone has ever described Ganga , the other editor of the VSS enewsletter, as frail and weak.

      TopTop

      VSS Inbox

      1. Recently, someone wrote to VSS asking what our favourite veg restaurant is. Our answer is that we love all veg eateries. From the point of view of the chickens, pigs, cows and our other friends, every veg restaurant in a healthy, happy place, even better if they don't serve eggs and dairy. And, Mother Earth feels the same way.

      If you were not very happy with the food at a veg place where you ate recently, why not make a gentle suggestion to one of the staff or the manager/owner?

      2. Someone else asked about whether beer and other alcoholic beverages are plant based. The answer to that question, like with most food questions, is tricky. Here's the best information source we are aware of: http://www.barnivore.com/#

      TopTop

      Healthy Lifestyle Classes

      Bliss & Wisdom Society will be conducting a series of vegetarian "Healthy Lifestyle Classes cum Cooking" from Mar-Apr in English. The lessons will focus on eco-friendly and healthy lifestyles.

      Dates: All Sundays in Mar and Apr

      Time: 3.30pm to 5pm

      Location: 55A Lorong 27, Geylang (Yes Natural Bakery – 2nd storey), near Aljunied MRT Station.

      Fee: FOC (Deposit of $40 required – refundable after 7 lessons attended)

      Topics: Body and mind wellness, healthy vegan diet, cooking demo, etc.

      Note: Participants are required to bring their own bowl or container for food tasting.

      To register and make enquiries, please contact irissia66@... and kohleeyong@...

      TopTop

      New Classes from Ami's Veggie Heart

      Ami's Veggie Heart is organizing Western cooking classes (soups, salads, dips, spreads) for those of you interested in learning how to prepare simple and healthy vegetarian meals.

      Fri 17th Feb, 11am-1pm
      •  Hearty Minestrone Soup
      •  Quinoa Salad
      •  Corn Fritters

      Tue 21st Feb, 11am-1pm
      •  Couscous Salad Sauteed: Mushrooms, Bell peppers, Eggplant

      Fri 24th Feb, 11am-1pm
      •  Corn Soup
      •  Dips/Spread: Guacamole, Eggplant, Pesto
      •  Corn Fritters

      Tue 28th Feb, 11am-1pm
      •  Vegetable Soup
      •  Corn Salad
      •  Salsa Sauce

      Email ami@... or call 9144.6105 to register for any of the above sessions. Please sign up at least 3 days before to guarantee a seat. If there is demand for a specific menu, additional classes will be added on. Each class will be at SGD $70, payable on that day by cash. If you have a custom requirement for any specific item or menu or for weekend classes, please feel free to contact Ami at the above email or phone number to discuss.

      TopTop

      The Latest from Halimah

      Here's what you need to know about Halimah's next batch of cooking classes.

      Date

      Time

      Lesson
      Description

      Cost

      18
      Feb
      (Sat)

      10am-
      1pm

      Luscious Classic Cakes
      • American Carrot Cake

      • Classic Blackforest Cake

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make two lovely classic cakes that will impress your family!

      18
      Feb
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Cupcakes Galore
      • Chocolate Cupcake with Vanilla Cream and Caramel Drizzle

      • Green Tea Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream

      • Banana Split Cupcakes

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make three delicious cupcakes that will wow your family!

      25
      Feb
      (Sat)

      10am-
      1pm

      Going Fruity
      • Fruit Custard Tartlets

      • Apple Blueberry Crumble

      • Banana Chocolate Tart with Caramelized Walnuts

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make three delicious desserts to impress your guests.

      25
      Feb
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Vegan Pizza Making Class
      • Basic handmade pizza crust

      • Homemade Pizza Sauce and Cheeze

      • Hawaiian Pizza

      • Almond Spinach Pizza

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make vegan pizza from scratch.

      3
      Mar
      (Sat)

      10am-
      1pm

      Delightful Desserts
      • Rich Mocha Cake with Espresso Frosting

      • Double Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make two delectable cocoa based cakes that will delight your family!

      3
      Mar
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Tea, Coffee or Cake?
      • Blueberry Streusel Cake

      • Chocolate Fruit and Nut Cake

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Does tea time feel boring without the slice of heavenly cake? Learn how to make two yummy and moist cakes that will pair nicely with your favorite hot beverage.

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2012

        Editor’s Note

        VSS NEWS

        World Water Day Dinner at El Toro

        Little Green Cafe Joins The Fold

        Celebrate Earth Day at Jurong Point With Us

        VSS Inbox

        GENERAL NEWS

        Antioxidant Seminar (Hands-On)

        Swiss Chocolate Galore

        8D Taiwan Retreat 8-15 Apr 2012

        Classes by Little Green Café

        Free Public Screening of Jane's Journey

        Cooking Classes by Genesis Restaurant

        The Hatching of Vegg

        Chef Halimah's Classes for End-March to Mid-April

        New Creations at The Brownie Factory

        With a host of eco-friendly celebrations to look forward to in March and April - especially on Earth Day (22 Apr) and World Water Day (22 Mar), the Vegetarian Society would like to wish all readers a meaningful period in their lives and urge all to do more to ensure the sustainability of Mother Earth.

        Gangasudhan,
        Operations Coordinator

        Visit us at www.vss.sg

        VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

        World Water Day Dinner at El Toro

        To celebrate World Water Day this year (which falls on 22 Mar), Veggie Thursday (VT) has organised a special dinner event at El Toro restaurant. Incorporating elements of water footprint awareness, the event promises to be a Feast of Latin Cuisine. At only $30 a person, the price covers dinner prepared by the restaurant, dessert by Brownice and gifts such as a 1KG bag of brown rice from Sukha House and the popular VT Frisbee.

        Unfortunately though, spaces have all been snapped up but do sign up on our facebook page by following the link below if you would like to be placed on the waiting list (in case of cancellations).

        http://veggiethursday.sg/worldwaterday

        Meanwhile, if you would like to learn more about the concept of water footprint and the impact animal farming has on this, please read the article at http://www.waterfootprint.org/Reports/
        Mekonnen-Hoekstra-2012-
        WaterFootprintFarmAnimalProducts.pdf

        TopTop

        Little Green Cafe Joins The Fold

        Shalu Asnani who conducts vegetarian cooking classes recently started an online hub to serve as a platform for anyone wishing to subscribe to a healthier lifestyle and to get inspiration by attending her cooking classes. Called Little Green Cafe, it is the latest fledgling business to take up a corporate membership with the VSS.

        Shalu, who is a former lawyer and a self-confessed foodie, began her foray into the world of professional cooking 4 years ago after relocating to Beijing . Her niche is healthy vegetarian food ranging from Indian to Vietnamese to Contemporary cuisine and her goal is to disprove the myth that vegetarian food is boring.

        You can find out more about Shalu and Little Green Cafe by visiting the official website at http://www.littlegreencafe.com.sg.

        TopTop

        Celebrate Earth Day at Jurong Point With Us

        The Jurong Point management and the VSS are collaborating to conduct a vegetarian food fair at Jurong Point on 21 & 22 Apr in honour of Earth Day 2012. The shopping centre has lined up a host of activities and events in relation to environmentalism for the month of April and one of the key events will be the vegetarian fair.

        There will be food demos and an awareness booth at the event, supported by a few stalls set up by Delcie's, Brownice, Fave and Zen Xin. Mark the event on your calendars so that you can drop by and say hi to us!

        TopTop

        VSS Inbox

        Help, I can't find food at UE Square !

        One VSS member who works at UE Square wrote in to us to ask for help and we managed to solve the problem within minutes because someone had shared a similar experience on the VSS Forum. We thus encourage everyone to share their experiences and contribute their expertise on the forum
        (http://www.vegetarian-society.org/my_forums) so that all of us can benefit from the collective knowledge of the community.

        "I have recently moved to work at UE SQUARE , 83 Clemenceau Ave. It has been almost 2 weeks. I don't seem to be able to find any vegetarian food (without garlic n onion) nearby. The only one that I know of is Real Food at Central. But that is not an option for me as I need to order 2 main meals to be satisfied. If VSS knows any vegetarian eating place near UE SQUARE or Shell House, could you please share this info?"

        The answer?
        http://www.vegetarian-society.org/
        my_forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3700

        TopTop

        Antioxidant Seminar (Hands-On)

        This fun and engaging hands-on seminar allows you to learn about how antioxidants affect the quality (and length) of our lives, where to find high antioxidant ingredients, and how to raise your antioxidant level easily, affordably and tastily. This seminar also includes lively videos and 8 nutrient-dense and antioxidant-rich smoothies and nutmilks.

        Location: Kampung Senang Multipurpose Hall
        Date & Time: 24 Mar, from 1:30pm to 4:30pm
        Promotional price of $40 per person

        Registration can be confirmed via payment by bank transfer to 510-05767-8 before 19 Mar. Please contact Yeow at 98393769 to make the arrangements and do note that this seminar is limited to 40 persons.

        TopTop

        Swiss Chocolate Galore

        Chocolate Atelier is a professional hub for learning chocolate-making, baking and vegetarian cooking while also operating a pastry and chocolate shop, selling the finest Swiss Pralines, Cookies and Seasonal Items in the east coast area of Singapore . It is the brainchild of Reto Marzari, a Swiss citizen with over 40 years' experience as a Pastry Chef-Chocolatier.

        To find out more about the classes on offer and view the range of (ova-lacto vegetarian) cakes on offer, please visit www.chocolate-atelier.com.

        TopTop

        8D Taiwan Retreat 8-15 Apr 2012

        Opening the door to Healing & Joyful life for all health conscious people & nature lovers, the Village of Inner Peace Rejuvenation Tour will take you through Taiwan's North to Central Mountain Zones which are well-known for pollution-free detox retreats and natural agriculture. The fee of S$1,700 covers lectures, workshops, accommodation, transport, plant-based meals, 15 days' worth of pre-tour detox and rejuvenation ingredients, and health checks before & after the tour (20-page report for all organs).

        To book your place, please call 67498509 or send an email to event@.... You can also register in person at the Holistic Lifestyle Centre located at Blk 106 Aljunied Crescent #01-205 S(380106).

        Organised by ECO-Harmony Global Network Ltd, a social enterprise of Kampung Senang Charity and Education Foundation.

        Note: Fees do NOT include airfare and travel insurance, and there are only 16 seats available for this tour.

        TopTop

        Classes by Little Green Café

        Shalu Asnani of Little Green Cafe has another line-up of classes this month and here are some of them.

        Mar 17, 10am-1pm
        Spice up your Life! Part 2

        In this class, you will be introduced to the quintessential Indian spices and taught how to balance flavours to create the perfect Indian meal.

        Menu: Aloo tikkis (Spiced potato cutlets), Keralan eggplant curry, Channa masala (Chick pea curry)

        Mar 22, 7-10pm
        Meat-free Series Part 1: Sensational Soups & Salads

        Fresh and tasty soups and salads to incorporate into your everyday meals.

        Menu: Chilled pea & cucumber soup, Roasted beetroot with orange and feta, Mango & avocado salad with chilli-lime dressing

        Mar 25, 10am-1pm
        Brunch@Home

        Get some inspiration in this class and learn some sweet and savoury brunch favourites to turn your weekend around.

        Menu: Orange-ricotta pancakes, Sweet potato cakes with Tzatiki, Spicy Scrambled "Eggs"

        Mar 29, 7-10pm
        Meat-free Series Part 2: Appetisers

        Colourful appetisers that awaken the palate with contrasting, but complementary flavours.

        Menu: Onion Bhajis with spicy tomato sauce Pumpkin & feta parcels Fresh rice paper rolls with peanut sauce

        April 12, 7-10pm
        Meat-free Series Part 3: Main courses

        Learn how to make substantial main courses without using meat, how to substitute meat in recipes, and using different ingredients in a way that it all comes together.

        Menu: Eggplant lasagne with homemade pesto, Sayur lodeh (Mixed vegetables in a coconut curry), Vietnamese savoury crepe with nuoc cham.

        The above classes will be held at Palate Sensations and is $100 per class. To register, please email shalu@... or call 97631483.

        TopTop

        Free Public Screening of Jane's Journey

        The Jane Goodall Institute Singapore (JGIS) is delighted to host an upcoming free public screening of the thought provoking and inspiring documentary "Jane's Journey". "Jane's Journey" is an intimate portrait of the private person behind the world-famous icon – an exceptional woman, possibly the most fascinating woman of our time. "Jane's Journey" was shortlisted as 1 of the 15 Documentary Features Advance in 2011 Oscar Race.

        Date: Sat, 14 April 2012
        Time: 7.30pm
        Venue: Singapore Botanic Gardens, Symphony Stage
        Free Admission!

        Entries/2012/4/14_Screening_of_Janes_
        Journey_in_Singapore.html
        .

        TopTop

        Cooking Classes by Genesis Restaurant

        As many of you might be aware, Genesis restaurant offers cooking classes on top of its wonderful range of dining options. The next menu for its next class in April has just been released. Learning to cook at Genesis will definitely meet the recommended daily intake of fruits and vegetables, and ensure proper fibre and nutrient intake as well. Genesis seeks to make every bite not only delicious but supportive of your health as well.

        Spinach mushroom vegan quiche with wholegrain pastry
        Learn how you can make a traditional crust in minutes and alternatively, how you can use what's available off the shelf to make an unconventional crust!

        Romaine tempeh salad
        A nice slightly warm salad robust with flavour that will be "dancing in your mouth"

        Quinoa cranberry salad
        An easy to prepare dish that satisfies. You will love the wholesome goodness in this one dish meal for busy people.

        Layered Fruit salad with vanilla pudding
        An impressive dish to bring to a party or potluck. Simply yummy! A great way to entice consumption of fruits.

        Date: April 15, 2012
        Time: 4pm-7pm
        Location: 1 Lorong Telok (at Boat Quay)
        Fee: $50

        To register, please call 92396881 or 64387118 or 91454218. Please note that registration closes on 2 Apr.

        TopTop

        The Hatching of Vegg

        Vegg is a new product that promises to revolutionise how we substitute eggs in the food vegans eat. The result of years of experimentation, many people who have used the product are impressed with what it can offer. Presently not available in Singapore , it can be ordered online for those keen to try. Read more about this novel product at http://www.metro.co.uk/news/891547
        -egg-replacement-for-vegans-coming-
        next-month-say-industry-experts
        .

        TopTop

        Chef Halimah's Classes for End-March to Mid-April

        Date

        Time

        Lesson
        Description

        Cost

        17
        Mar
        (Sat)

        10am-
        1pm

        Go Fruits Over Tartlets
        • Banana and Custard Tartlet with Chocolate Pastry Crust

        • Tropical Fruit Tartlets

        • Lemon Curd Tartlets

        $80

        $75 for
        early bird registration
        (1 week prior)

        Description
        Learn how to make three types of tartlets with various fillings and pastry crusts. It will become a party favourite!

        17
        Mar
        (Sat)

        2.30-
        5.30pm

        Brownie and Scones
        •  Orange Hazelnut Scones

        • Banana Date Scones

        • Triple Chocolate Brownie

        $80

        $75 for
        early bird registration
        (1 week prior)

        Description
        Learn how to make warm wholesome scones and a very chocolatey and fudgy brownie.

        24
        Mar
        (Sat)

        10am-
        1pm

        Classic American Cakes
        • Red Velvet Cake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting

        • Devil's Food Cake

        $80

        $75 for
        early bird registration
        (1 week prior)

        Description
        Learn how to make two classic chocolate based cakes that will be sure to delight your family.

        24
        Mar
        (Sat)

        2.30-
        5.30pm

        Say Quiche!
        • Spinach Mushroom Quiche

        • Mix Vegetable Quiche with Potato Crust

        $80

        $75 for
        early bird registration
        (1 week prior)

        Description
        Learn how to make two wholesome quiches that are dairy and egg free.

        25
        Mar
        (Sun)

        2.30-
        5.30pm

        Burgers and Chips – Western Food Demo
        • Oat Burger Patty

        • Potato and Veggie Burger Patty

        • Black Bean Burger Patty

        • Homemade Roasted Tomato Ketchup and condiments

        • Sweet Potato Fries

        $60

        $55 for
        early bird registration
        (1 week prior)

        Description
        Who says you have to rely on mock meat for a good wholesome burger? Learn how to make three burgers made with healthy, wallet friendly ingredients with a twist on the traditional fries!

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)