VSS eNewsletter 15 November 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2011

      Editor’s Note

      VSS NEWS

      Dinner & Movie Night @ Grand Salads Bistro

      Sabah Considers Complete Ban on Shark Fishing

      Feisty Vegan Starts Blog

      VSS Inbox

      GENERAL NEWS

      Latest Cooking Classes from NutriHub

      Marina Bay Sands Now Offers Something Veg

      More Veggie Classes by Shalu

      Kampung Senang is Hiring

      Amy's Kitchen Comes to Singapore

      New Veg Outlet at Jalan Bukit Merah

      Chef Halimah's Classes for November

      International Meatless Day - 25 Nov

      A wise man once said, "Knowing is not enough; you must apply". And so, we would like to encourage all of you to always practise a healthier and more humane lifestyle - because you know you should.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Dinner & Movie Night @ Grand Salads Bistro

      Grand Salads Bistro located at the new Solaris building at Fusionopolis, off Ayer Rajah Avenue , is collaborating with VSS to present a Dinner & Movie Night later this month. While the restaurant will offer its calming ambience and healthy cuisine, we will arrange the screening of the well-received documentary Forks Over Knifes that features notable figures such as Dr Caldwell Esselstyn and Prof T Colin Campbell and examines the claim that most degenerative diseases can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods. Those interested are encouraged to reserve your place early as seats are limited. See you there!

      Date: 26 Nov 2011, Saturday

      Time: 6.30pm

      Location: Grand Salads Bistro,
      Solaris Building #01-12
      (1 Fusionopolis Walk)

      Nearest MRT Station: One-North (CC23), along Circle Line

      Price: $25 (excluding drinks)

      Menu (all vegan): Mushroom soup with bread sticks + salad or wrap made on the spot with homemade dressing + nut & fruit sorbet

      Contact Michelle at 96645311 or grandsalads@... to place your reservation. You can also visit www.grandsalads.com.sg to take a look at the appetising menu and watch the trailer at www.youtube.com/user/ForksOverKnives if you're just now learning about this eye-opening film.

      TopTop

      Sabah Considers Complete Ban on Shark Fishing

      Sabah is famousfor eco-tourism and they are now considering a complete ban of shark fishing within the state next year. Malaysian shark conservationist Kirk Lee of Save Our Sharks From A Bowl Of Soup is compiling a list of supporting organizations from around the world to thank Mr Masidi Manjun, Minister of Culture, Tourism and Environment, for his effort towards the ban in Sabah . The VSS is honoured to include its name as a supporting organisation for this proposal and hopes that the ban will take effect soon.

      You can read about the initiative at http://insightsabah.gov.my/article/read/1509

      TopTop

      Feisty Vegan Starts Blog

      Our VSS intern has been inspired to start her own blog and offers her honest take on veg establishments in Singapore . Plus, there are a lot of pictures to whet your appetite! You can read about her adventures at http://veganash.wordpress.com.

      TopTop

      VSS Inbox

      Veg Tip for Travel to Korea

      In the 1 November issue, we shared the story of someone who experienced outstanding service at a Loving Hut outlet in Korea . A reader, Jenn, wrote in to share a tip that has helped her in her own travels in Korea :

      I saw in the newsletter that you mentioned about Loving Hut in Korea . I would like to share my experience as I was in Korea in August. Getting veg food is indeed a challenge in Korea , moreover we can't speak their language and many of them are not well-versed in English and don't understand the word 'vegetarian'.

      What I did was to get the staff at the airport helpdesk to write the translation down on paper for me - e.g. "I'm a vegetarian", "I do not eat meat (because I love animals, or whatever reasons that you want to educate them about, but not too long), please let me know if you have any non-meat options available for me, thank you".

      For me, I can't take spicy stuff so I have an additional line on the slip that requests for my food to be non-spicy. Everything becomes easy-peasy then! If you forget to do this at the airport, you can always get help from hotel concierge upon check-in as well.

      Most people in Korea are very happy to help and I think some of my meals might have been customised for me.

      In addition, readers might be pleased to note that there are over 40 Loving Hut outlets in South Korea, and the full list is available via the following link: http://lovinghut.kr/kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table
      =restaurants_kr_en&lang=_en&page=10&page=1

      TopTop

      Latest Cooking Classes from NutriHub

      Enrich yourself by learning from the accomplished chef of Nutrihub, Ms Vinitha Ang, by attending her upcoming classes.

      Nov 19, 3pm-5.30pm: Nutrition Assessment & Vitality Cooking $60 inclusive of meal

      Learn how to do your own Nutrition Assessment and find out what's lacking in your diet. Get Nutrition Tips on why & what to replace in your diet as well as learn how to supplement your diet. Followed by Vitality Cooking Demo.

      Menu:
      • Asian Salad Delight using local greens
      • Brown Rice Milk with Cashew Nut & Dates

      Nov 26, 3pm-5.30pm: Nutrimeal Cooking TM -
      Series I $60 inclusive of meal

      Learn how to prepare simple, nutritious & healthy meals for your family.

      Menu:
      • Fruit Enzyme
      • Polenta Brown Rice Porridge
      • Herbal Mushroom
      • Chickpea Salad

      Please contact Vinitha at 92368402 or llpnutrihub@... for enquiries and booking.
      You can also visit Nutrihub's website at www.nutrihub.blogspot.com.

      TopTop

      Marina Bay Sands Now Offers Something Veg

      With the new integrated resort at Marina Bay offering much to do and experience, we are pleased to note that Pita-Pan, a new bistro promising wholesome Mediterranean quick bites has taken root and offers a slice of healthy eating for diners-on-the-go. The owners say, "Our food is 100 per cent vegetarian and most of our dishes are dairy-free. They are packed with health benefits without compromising on the flavors. Apart from a wholesome meal, we also wanted to bring as many firsts as possible to our diners here at Marina Bay Sands."

      Location: (Bay Level #01-87), The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands In front of ArtScience Museum
      Operating Hours: 7.00am to midnight
      Reservations: 6688-7450
      Email: pitapan@...
      Website: www.pitapan.com.sg

      Check out the VSS Outlet Information for Pita Pan at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/1594!

      TopTop

      More Veggie Classes by Shalu

      Nov 17, 7-10pm: Southeast Asian cuisine
      The best of Southeast Asia in one class! Using fresh local ingredients, learn 3 different styles of cooking - Thai, Vietnamese and Indonesian. Add some variety to your life!

      Menu:
      Pomelo salad with coconut dressing, Sayur Lodeh (coconut curry with mixed vegetables), Spicy tofu with lemongrass

      Nov 20, 6-9pm: Cooking with Tofu
      Challenge yourself in this class and discover some surprises about cooking with tofu. You will learn how to use this highly versatile, protein-packed ingredient in a variety of cooking styles and will see the humble tofu in a new light!

      Menu:
      Tofu cutlets with spicy tomato salsa, Spicy scrambled tofu, Tofu and mushroom "parcels" in a coconut-lemongrass sauce

      Nov 26, 10am-12pm: Soups and Salads
      Start your weekend on a positive note around by learning how to make some fresh soups and salads to incorporate into your everyday meals. These are not your average green plates, instead a great mix of ingredients to create fabulous dishes bursting with flavour!

      Menu:
      Chilled pea & cucumber soup, Roasted beetroot with orange and feta, Mango & avocado salad with chilli-lime dressing

      All classes will take place at Palate Sensations (in Buona Vista). Please email Shalu at shalua@... for more details.

      TopTop

      Kampung Senang is Hiring

      As the good work of Kampung Senang gains recognition amongst Singaporeans, it is only natural that its operations expand. The organisation is thus currently seeking to fill 5 positions with talented, passionate and dedicated individuals to complement its amazing staff. Specifically, the charity and education and education foundation is on the lookout for a Child Care Teacher, Childcare Leader, Planner, Purchaser cum Customer Service Officer, and Vegetarian Chef. If you have always wanted to earn a living doing good for others, please visit the following link to read the job description and requirements before sending in your resume to Mr Oh Chong Fah at gm@.... For telephone enquiries, you can contact him at 67498509.

      http://www.ncss.org.sg/social_service_jobs/
      job_list.asp?jc=&vi=V00355#srch

      TopTop

      Amy's Kitchen Comes to Singapore

      You may have seen limited products of the highly-rated brand at various supermarkets, but the sole distributor is now directly offering a wider range of mouthwatering, 100%-vegetarian, organic frozen foods such as Pasta, vege burgers, apple pie, chocolate cake, orange cake, and tomato tortillas. They are offering some promotional prices at the moment so do visit their website for more details. The storefront is located at 627A Aljunied Road , #01-05 Biztech Centre, Tel: 63366307.

      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amys-
      Kitchen-Singapore/243990335650372

      TopTop

      New Veg Outlet at Jalan Bukit Merah

      For those working or living near Bukit Merah, there is now yet another dining option available to you. Located in a coffeeshop at Blk 146 Jalan Bukit Merah - near to the Gurdwara Sahib temple and Singapore General Hospistal, Sweet Hunt Vegetarian offers signature dishes such as Tofu with Pumpkin Sauce, Vegetarian Asam Fish, Fried Rice and Cantonese Cuisine. Open daily from 7am to 8pm, dishes are priced between $3.50 and $12.

      Name of outlet: Sweet Hunt Vegetarian
      Address: Blk 146 Jalan Bukit Merah #01-1068
      Bus Service; 167, 196, 197, 147
      Operating Hours: 07:00hrs to 20:00hrs
      Serve Brown Rice: Yes
      Organic: No
      Use of MSG (Ajinomoto): Yes
      Use of Onion & Garlic: No
      Use of Eggs: No
      Use of Dairy Products: No
      Delivery Service: No
      Catering Option: No, but can call to pre-order, then self-collect

      TopTop

      Chef Halimah's Classes for November

      Date

      Time

      Lesson
      Description

      Cost

      19
      Nov
      (Sat)

      10am-
      1pm

      Classic Cakes
      • Marble Cake

      • Rich Mocha Cake with Espresso Cream

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn the secrets of how to make mouthwatering moist classic cakes.

      20
      Nov
      (Sun)

      10am-
      1pm

      And that's how the Cookie Crumbles
      • "Oreo"
      Sandwich
      Cookies

      • Lavender Shortbread

      • Cranberry Macadamia
      Cookie

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn to make three different all-time favourite cookies.

      20
      Nov
      (Sun)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Middle-East Delights
      (Food Demo)

      • Hummus with Variations (Chickpea Dip)

      • Baba Ganoush (Eggplant Dip)

      • Pita Bread

      • Tabouleh
      (Bulgur Wheat Salad)

      • Stuffed Green Peppers and Tomatoes

      $60

      $55 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn the art of preparing delicious healthy and versatile middle east food - belly dancing not included!

      (Note: This is a food demo class)

      26
      Nov
      (Sat)

      10am-
      1pm

      Vegan
      Christmas
      Treats

      • Belgian Chocolate Log Cake

      • Spiced Fruit Cake

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make a delectable chocolate log cake and classic fruit cake.

      26
      Nov
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Tea-Time Delights
      •  Orange
      Pistachio Cake

      • Coconut Lime Cake

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Enjoy two refreshing citrusy cakes with a twist.

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)