VSS eNewsletter 1 August 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2011

      Editor’s Note

      VSS NEWS

      VSS' First Ever Urban Farm Tour

      Holistic Wellness Symposium

      NTU Students

      Reaching 7000

      GENERAL NEWS

      Bukit Merah's Loving Hut Closes

      Veg Catering

      21 Reasons To Go Veg

      A Heaping Helping of Classes from Halimah

      Drug Resistance from Eating Chickens?

      Three Tips for Better Health

      The Meat-Diabetes Link

      Moral Progress and Animal Welfare

      Taxing Meat & Subsidizing Veggies

      Dine & Learn Workshops @ NutriHub

      New Provider of Raw Food Classes

      Ami's Veggie Heart - Aug-Sep Schedule

      Video: Vegans in Vegas

      Eating organic needn’t be some impossible dream, achievable only by the rich. Learn more on the VSS trip to Kampung Senang’s organic garden.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      VSS' First Ever Urban Farm Tour

      An organic garden in an HDB estate? Yes, our friends at Kampung Senang's Tampines Centre, Blk 840 Tampines St. 82, #01-111, S. 520840 have kindly arranged guided tours of their gardens on Sat, 6 Aug, 8.30am-1pm. Here's the schedule:

      Time

      Description

      8.30 am

      Welcome & breakfast snack

      9.00 am

      Our Farm Tour begins! Herbs section, Veggie section & Potting station

      10.30 am

      Enzyme-making demo

      11:30 am

      Q & A

      12.00 pm

      Organic Lunch and sale of organic fresh produce

      1.00 pm

      End of Event

      The cost for all that, including the organic snack and lunch is on $30. More details here.

      Kampung Senang Tampines Centre
      Blk 840 Tampines Street 82 #01-111
      S. 520840

      Date & time: Sat, 6 Aug, 8:30am-1pm
      Cost: $30 (VSS Members)

      This event is catered exclusively for VSS members. Non-members can sign up as members to participate.

      TopTop

      Holistic Wellness Symposium

      VSS is helping our friends at Kampung Senang to organise the Holistic Wellness Symposium 2011, to be held 30Aug (Tue, which is a public holiday), 8.30am-6pm, at the SingPost Bldg next to Paya Lebar MRT. The Symposium is divided into two sections, with the English programme in the morning and the Chinese programme in the afternoon.

      Learn from a dynamic group of speakers. Take part in interactive sessions. Tickets cost $30, with free admission to a Holistic Fair taking place outside the auditorium. Details at 6749 8509, www.eco-harmony.net/HWS2011

      TopTop

      NTU Students

      VSS is working with an innovative group of NTU students to create posters and videos that will effectively present life saving messages about why and how to go veg. These messages cover the health, environment and kindness reasons to eat less or no meat. If you know of other students or working professionals who would like to use their talents and passion to spread these messages, please ask them to contact VSS at info@...

      TopTop

      Reaching 7000

      Currently, the free VSS eNewsletter goes to approximately 6500 email addresses. Let's see if we can reach 7000 by year's end.

      Receiving the newsletter is a great way to learn about the How and Why of eating less or no animal based foods. And, it's quick and easy to sign up for the eNewsletter. Just go to http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=
      node/700
      , enter your email address and click on the arrow. You can also read back issues there.

      TopTop

      Bukit Merah's Loving Hut Closes

      Loving Hut is a chain of plant based restaurants providing healthy, green and kind food in a growing number of cities around the world. Unfortunately, their outlet at Bukit Merah Central recently closed. The good news is that their outlets at Suntec, Parklane, International Plaza and Khoo Teck Puat Hospital continue to provide a wide variety of plant based dishes, many of them local: http://www.lovinghut.com.sg.

      TopTop

      Veg Catering

      Last month, VSS met a group of students who are spreading the veg message via talks and food. They call themselves Green Dot. One of the things they do is to provide Bento meals for school camps. They have collaborated with several tertiary institutions such as the NUS Business School and NUS Law School , for events such as Bizad Blackout, NUS Open House and NUS Law Freshmen Orientation. The response of students at these events was that the food really exceeded their expectations of what a meatless meal are like. In fact, some didn't even notice the difference between our meal and an ordinary non-vegetarian meal. Thus, if you do want to cater food or find out more about Green Dot, find them on facebook:
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/GreenDot-Express/
      176432805750581

      TopTop

      21 Reasons To Go Veg

      The following webpage lists 21 reasons for going veg:
      http://www.giveusahome.co.uk/articles/
      vegetarianism.htm

      Here, from the list, is a powerful reason that we hadn't heard before:

      "Animals who die for your dinner table die alone, in terror, in sadness and in pain". This reason reminds us that the animals whom we eat form social bonds. Maybe those bonds aren't identical to bonds formed by humans, but the connections that pigs, chickens, cows, etc. form with others of their species, or even other species, do matter to them. Maybe they should matter to us, too.

      TopTop

      A Heaping Helping of Classes from Halimah

      Below is Halimah's (front left in the photo) latest class schedule. Classes are held at Clementi Ave 4. Visit https://www.facebook.com/Kalavira.Vegan.School or http://vegbuzz.blogspot.com for more info and for photos of what you'll be creating, or email halimah.i@...

      Date

      Time

      Lesson
      Description

      Cost

      13
      Aug
      (Sat)

      10-1pm

      Delightful Desserts
      • Rich Mocha Cake with Espresso Frosting

      • Double Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make two delectable cakes.

      13
      Aug
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Cupcakes Galore
      • Chocolate Cupcake with Vanilla Cream and Caramel Drizzle

      • Green Tea Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream

      • Banana Split Cupcakes

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make three delicious cupcakes that will wow your family!

      20
      Aug
      (Sat)

      10-1pm

      Vegan Pizza Making Class
      • Basic handmade pizza crust

      • Hawaiian Pizza

      • Almond Spinach Pizza

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make vegan pizza from scratch

      20
      Aug
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Serene Meadow - 3D Cupcake Decorating Class
      • Basic Chocolate Cupcakes

      • Vegan Frosting Cream

      Learn how to colour and sculpt fondant to make beautiful garden themed cupcakes like snails, lady bird bugs, bees, mushrooms and flowers.

      $85

      $80 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Impress your family members with 3D cupcakes

      27
      Aug
      (Sat)

      10-
      1pm

      Brownie and Scones
      •  Orange Hazelnut Scones

      • Banana Date Scones

      • Triple Chocolate Brownies

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make yummy scones and a chocolatey brownie.

      27
      Aug
      (Sat)

      2.30-
      5.30pm

      Muffin Class
      (By popular request!)

      • Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping

      • Apple Cranberry Muffins

      • Spiced Carrot Muffins

      $80

      $75 for
      early bird registration
      (1 week prior)

      Description
      Learn how to make healthy, wholesome and scrumptious muffins

      TopTop

      Drug Resistance from Eating Chickens?

      A new paper in the U.S. government's Centers for Disease Control's journal Emerging Infectious Diseases claims that similarities between drug-resistance genes in E. coli carried by chickens and E. coli infecting humans suggest that the chickens may be the source of human infections. Indeed, antibiotic use in large-scale farming (as shown in the photo) of the animals whom we eat creates drug-resistant organisms that affect human health.
      Read more...

      TopTop

      Three Tips for Better Health

      Three tips from Toronto: (1) we should eat more beans (lots of protein and other nutrients); (2) we have to watch out for liquid calories (such as in sodas and other drinks loaded with sugar); and (3) let's try to think NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), in other words, as we go about our daily routine, we should look for opportunities to get a bit of exercise here and there, such as walking up the stairs at the MRT station or getting off the bus one stop early and walking. Read more...

      TopTop

      The Meat-Diabetes Link

      An increasing number of studies link meat eating with diabetes. Similarly, in other studies, people who adopt a plant based diet are able to reverse diabetes. Here's one possible reason.

      A new study published in the journal Diabetes Care found a strong link between diabetes onset and blood levels of a group of harsh industrial chemicals charmingly known as "persistent organic pollutants" (POPs). The researchers identified a group of 725 diabetes-free elderly Swedes and tracked them for five years, studying the level of POPs in their blood. Thirty-six of them ended up contracting Type 2 diabetes - and the ones who did had significantly higher POP levels than the ones who didn't. How are these awful chemicals still causing trouble decades after being banned? POPs accumulate in the fatty tissue of animals - and transfer to the animals who eat them, including humans who eat meat, including fish. Read more...

      TopTop

      Moral Progress and Animal Welfare

      Peter Singer, a philosophy professor at Princeton University , presents a useful summary of recent small steps towards greater respect by humans of our fellow animals. And, we could add examples from here in Singapore , such as stiffer penalties for animal abuse and animal trafficking. Similarly, the photo on the right shows the large crowd at the recent animal welfare forum organised by our friends at ACRES with support from VSS. Read more: http://www.salem-news.com/articles/
      july192011/animal-morals-ps.php

      TopTop

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)