VSS eNewsletter 1 June 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011

      Editor’s Note

      VSS NEWS

      NANAS Trip

      ACRES � Public Forum on Animal Welfare

      Smoothies & Talk@Bedok Green Secondary

      World Env Day@Chestnut Drive Secondary

      VSS Quoted in ‘Tabla!’

      Dr Esselstyn in Local Magazine

      Talk at Orchard Central

      Yio Chu Kang Talk

      Stall Vacancy at RI Canteen

      The VSS InBox

      GENERAL NEWS

      Veg Cooking Course at New Green Pasture

      7 Sensations Relocates

      Second Veg Restaurant at International Plaza

      Supercharged with Raw Energy � Salad Dressings

      ‘Forks Over Knives’ Reviewed

      Plate to Planet

      Green Room Café Reopens

      World Env Day at Green Circle Eco-Farm

      Healthy Eating, Healthy Living... With Joyce Lye

      Organic Farm Tour and Lunch

      Veganburg Now Delivers

      Tanjong Sutera Trip

      Why Vegetarians Weigh Less

      ‘Awaken Your Healing Power’ � Book Review

      Eight Weeks to Wellness

      We're excited about the 1st ever Animal Welfare Symposium on 18 Jun. Eating animal based foods is the #1 way we humans harm the welfare of our fellow animals. Thanks.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      NANAS Trip

      Join VSS on another fun-filled day trip this June �
      we'll be enjoying a sumptuous vegetarian lunch, hitting the shopping mall, and making lots of new four-legged friends at NANAS (Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary).
      (Our previous trips were all sold out, so remember to register early!)

      Date: Sun, 19 Jun
      Time: 9.30am-5.30pm
      Cost: $50 (VSS members); $65 (Non members)
      Includes transport, lunch, NANAS entry fee,
      plus a goodie bag!

      TopTop

      ACRES � Public Forum on Animal Welfare

      Over the years, there has been much concern about animal welfare issues in Singapore . There has been increasing media coverage on these issues, and members of the public have voiced their concerns
      through emails to AVA, on newspaper forums, blogs
      and on facebook.

      Organised by ACRES in collaboration with Chong Pang grassroots and with the support of Minister K Shanmugam, the first-ever Public Forum on Animal Welfare Policies gives you the opportunity to be engaged; it gives you the opportunity to voice your concerns; and it gives you the opportunity to help shape animal welfare policies in Singapore . VSS will have a booth, and we hope to raise veg issues. ACRES also promotes veg.

      Here are the details:
      Date: Sat, 18 Jun
      Time: 2pm-5pm
      Venue: Chong Pang Community Club Hall, 21 Yishun Ring Road, S. 768677
      http://www.street-directory.com/singpost/singpost.cgi?
      postalcode=768677

      TopTop

      Smoothies & Talk@Bedok Green Secondary

      Students of the Environment Club learned about the importance of our diet choices in protecting the environment. Later, with hands-on they enjoyed and tasted the message with 8 kinds of smoothies. The session, also attended by a couple teachers and a canteen vendor, was meant to empower the students to share with the student population the following week, Earth Week.

      The big show was the following week at an Assembly Talk for Sec 1 and 2. First, three students from the Environment Club and a VSS member did a dialogue with two videos about why it's green to eat less meat. Then, with the help of other Environment Club members, we demo-ed smoothie making, and all 800+ students had a chance to taste the delicious results.

      TopTop

      World Env Day@Chestnut Drive Secondary

      On 20 May, VSS raised the awareness of Chestnut Drive Secondary students through an exhibition, a quiz (based on the exhibition), a matching card memory game, a drawing contest and Veggie Thursday flyers. The book voucher prizes we provided helped encourage participation during the fun filled event. The vegan ice-cream and food stalls recommende d by us were a hit with the students.

      TopTop

      VSS Quoted in ‘Tabla!’

      Tabla! is published by SPH for the Indian community. It appears every Friday, with 30,000 copies distributed free of charge at 7 Elevens and many other outlets http://www.sph.com.sg/ourproducts_newspaper_
      tabla.shtml

      The 27 May issue features a front page article titled “Going Vegetarian”, and a few VSS members are quoted, including Balakrishnan Matchap, Ilavarasi and Gangasudhan. Among the topics dealt with is growing awareness of vegan (plant based) diets.

      TopTop

      Dr Esselstyn in Local Magazine

      More positive waves from Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn, Jr's �
      http://www.silverlining.com.sg � SG visit last Mar, organised by VSS. This time an interview with Dr E appears in the May-Jun issue of Silver Lining, a locally produced magazine for baby boomers: http://www.silverlining.com.sg

      Here's how the magazine previews the interview titled, Heart to Heart with Dr Esselstyn: We speak to
      Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, world-renowned for championing
      a plant-based diet for the prevention and reversal of
      heart disease.

      TopTop

      Talk at Orchard Central

      On 17 May, a VSS representative did a talk at Orchard Central on why we help the environment when we eat less or no meat. The talk was part of a weeklong event known as Actions for Earth, organised by Hemispheres: http://www.mycarbonfootprint.sg/actions/
      Actions2011.html

      The point of the talk was a simple one: Maybe the most powerful action we can take for Earth is to reduce or eliminate our consumption of animal based foods. Plus, going vegetarian can be easy, tasty and fun. Start small, such as with Veggie Thursday, and start with a buddy who is already veg or wants to try, and you might be pleasantly surprised that it's not so difficult. However, if you have questions or concerns, feel free to contact VSS: info@....

      TopTop

      Yio Chu Kang Talk

      Yio Chu Kang Residents Committee (Zone 4) invited VSS to give a health talk for a healthy lifestyle event on 28 May. Also featured at the event was a food carving display. The VSS talk began with the scary statistics on heart disease, stroke and cancer, which now account for over half of deaths in SG.

      Next, the VSS speaker moved on to happier topics, including all the nutrients available from plant foods. To reinforce that point, we distributed the VSS nutrition flyer, which shows plant based sources of essential nutrients.

      TopTop

      Stall Vacancy at RI Canteen

      For several years, VSS has been working at RI to improve the diets of the students there. By increasing students' awareness of the affects of food on health, environment and our fellow animals, and by increasing the availability of plant based food, we hope that students will make happier diet choices, now and throughout their lives.

      The canteen of Raffles Institution (Secondary) is in need of a vendor to run a stall. This is a great opportunity to promote healthier dieting at an elite school. Although VSS has no control over the application or running of the stall, we have some experience to share as we have been working with RI student groups over the years. Utensils and equipment for the stall are available for sale. Interested persons, please contact yeow@....

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      Here's some interesting news from Hong Kong .

      I am writing to explore any partnership opportunities with the Vegetarian Society Singapore regarding Veg Haven �
      Southeast Asia, a comprehensive guide book to vegetarian restaurants dedicated to pleasing the palettes of vegetarians from around the world.

      The book provides over 650 listings and some discount coupons per market and covers Southeast Asia including Hong Kong and Macau, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. It gives information about restaurants located in major cities of these countries and the aim is to provide a guide that becomes a rich resource of dining and cuisine news to serve readers.

      Let me know if there's any opportunity that we could work with the society probably by offering special rates to your privileged members and featuring the guide book in your site. Thanks and look forward to hearing for your prompt reply.

      Best Regards,
      Adrian Andaya

      TopTop

      Veg Cooking Course at New Green Pasture

      Sophia Teh, the every inventive chef at New Green Pasture Café on Level 4 of Fortune Centre, is doing another one of her cooking classes on Sundays, 3-6pm in June. Total investment for all four session is $200, including dinners.

      Here are the dishes you will learn and enjoy:

      5 Jun:
      Shrum Hash Brown, Thai-style Mee Siam , Golden Burdock Shreds and Bellissimo Salad Cream.

      12 Jun:
      Cosmo Salad, Rainbow Beany Rice, Sweet Dream Pillow and Miso Salad Noodle.

      19 Jun:
      Fragrant Beancurd Roll, Snowy Millet Congee, Wholemeal Mini Mantou and Indian Blossoms.

      26 Jun:
      Royal Sushi, Grandma's Favourite, Angel's Threads and Double Happiness.

      TopTop

      7 Sensations Relocates

      From 4 Jun, one of Singapore's most innovative veg restaurants and a consistent supporter of VSS, 7 Sensations, is relocating from Madras Street to 9 Raffles Boulevard, #P3-07 (3rd Floor) Parco, Millenia Walk, S. 039596, Tel: 6298.8198, Fax: 6336.3194, http://www.7-sensations.com.

      TopTop

      Second Veg Restaurant at International Plaza

      International Plaza, 10 Anson Road , next to Tanjong Pagar MRT, already has a branch of the Loving Hut restaurant chain, and now there's one more veg restaurant: Xin Yi Vegetarian by Earth Kitchen, 6226-3979. Details at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/1539

      And, don't forget that there's another veg eatery nearby: Whole Earth Vegetarian on Peck Seah Street: http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/277

      TopTop

      Supercharged with Raw Energy � Salad Dressings

      Raw vegetables are well known to be rich in vitamins, minerals, enzymes and dietary fibre. Learn from Chef Oh Chong Fah how to make your raw veggies especially tasty with salad dressings made from basic ingredients.

      Session 1 � Sun, 12 Jun, 9.30am-12.30pm
      Session 2 � Sun, 19 Jun, 9.30am-12.30pm
      Fee: Early-bird $60, Normal $80
      (payment after 5 Jun), inclusive of materials & ingredients for each single session

      Sign-up for two sessions and enjoy a $10 discount

      Special � Making Miso Paste Secret Unveiled!
      This is a special workshop on step-by-step miso making.

      Date & Time: 17 Jul, 9.30am-12.30pm
      Fee: Early-bird $120, Normal $140
      (payment after 10 Jul), inclusive of materials & ingredients.

      TopTop

      ‘Forks Over Knives’ Reviewed

      Roger Ebert is one of the world's best known film critics. He's also someone who learned the hard way � cancer � about the links between diet and health. Ebert wrote a very informative, advocatory review � http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
      AID=/20110511/REVIEWS/110519995
      � of the documentary ‘Forks Over Knives’ � http://www.forksoverknives.com � which features Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn, Jr and Prof T. Colin Campbell, who have both spoken in SG in the past two years.

      TopTop

      Plate to Planet

      This less than 5mins short film, voiced by a Hollywood actor, is about a person's trip to the supermarket to choose the ingredients that he's going to use to make dinner for his family.

      Here's the blurb:
      “What to eat?” It is the question on everyone's minds at least three times a day � more depending on your appetite � and now a new short film, “What to Eat,” narrated by Jason Schwartzman (star of “Rushmore”, “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” and the HBO series “Bored to Death”) and supported by top environmental organizations including the Sierra Club, Worldwatch Institute, Food and Water Watch, Brighter Green, and Farm Sanctuary, aims to show how eating less meat can help lessen the environmental impact of factory farming. By showing how our food choices have a more serious impact on our environment than the cars we drive, the light bulbs we use or the ways we recycle, the film makes the point that we can all take small steps for positive change.

      http://www.platetoplanet.org/

      TopTop

      Green Room Café Reopens

      Green Room Café � http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/982
      in Ang Mo Kio recently reopened and now features raw chef Diana von Cranach's living cuisine: http://www.greenroomcafe.com.sg. Raw cuisine matches Green Room Café's natural setting in Bishan Park 2.

      TopTop

      World Env Day at Green Circle Eco-Farm

      On World Environment Day, Sun, 5 Jun, from 3pm, Sewalanka Foundation and Green Circle Eco-Farm invite you to the inaugural Sewalanka Organic Food Fair at the farm at 41 Neo Tiew Rd. See www.greencircle.com.sg for directions and click the Events button for details on the event.

      Sewalanka Foundation is a Sri Lankan development organization which enhances the capacity of disadvantaged rural communities to identify and address their own development needs. Through its own professionals and its links with other service providers, the foundation coordinates training and support services that contribute to the economically viable, socially just, and ecologically sustainable development of Sri Lanka .

      Small-scale farming will not be successful unless there is a market for the goods. This is where richer developed countries like Singapore can help, by buying and creating a market for their products.

      To raise funds for ACRES (http://www.acres.org.sg), Kampung Senang (http://www.kg-senang.org.sg) and Sewalanka Foundation (www.sewalanka.org), there will be a farm tour and included will be a delicious traditional Sri Lankan home-cooked vegetarian buffet dinner specially cooked by 2 Sri Lankan chefs at $30 per person, $15 for children from 5 years old to 12 year old.

      TopTop

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)