VSS eNewsletter 4 April 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 4:49 AM

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      Dr Esselstyn’s Heartening Visit

      Learn to Cook Like the Esselstyns

      Donations Welcome

      Tips from the Esselstyns

      Coming Attractions

      Born To Be Vegan

      The VSS InBox

      GENERAL NEWS

      Middle Eastern Recipes from Ami’s Veggie Heart

      Mind-Body-Nature Connection

      Veg Diets Reduce Cataract Risk

      The Non-Violent Roots of Plant-Based Diets

      NEWSTART Cooking Class

      The visit of Dr Esselstyn and his dynamic wife, Ann, brought a powerful veg message to new audiences.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Dr Esselstyn’s Heartening Visit

      VSS is happy to report that the visit of heart health advocates, Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn, Jr. and his wife, Ann Crile Esselstyn, connected to many people in many ways. Here are some of the highlights:

      a. Dinner with Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan and his cardiology team

      b. Talks to doctors and other health professionals at National Heart Centre, NUHS, Mount Elizabeth and Ren Ci Community Hospital, plus to medical students at NUS

      c. Interviews on 938Live (twice), Primetime Morning, Lianhe Zaobao, Straits Times, VegVibe and Silver Lining.

      d. Talk to heart patients at National Heart Centre

      e. A full-house dinner at Genesis Health Food Restaurant

      f. Last but not least, a public talk to over 500 people at DBS Auditorium. The talk attracted visitors from Veg Societies in Indonesia , Malaysia and Thailand .

      To purchase a DVD of the talk
      , contact John at 8125 1374

      TopTop

      Learn to Cook Like the Esselstyns

      Genesis Vegetarian Health Food Restaurant at 1 Lorong Telok will be doing two cooking classes for those who want to cook in the style of the Esselstyns. The dates are Sun, 10 & 17 Apr. For details: 6438.7118 or genesishf@....

      Or pick up a copy of the Esselstyn’s book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, which includes many pages of recipes. The book is available at National Library, bookstores such as Kinokuniya, and online booksellers such as Book Depository:
      www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781583333006/
      Prevent-and-Reverse-Heart-Disease

      TopTop

      Donations Welcome

      Hosting the Esselstyns was great but expensive, especially after their flight from the U.S. via Tokyo was cancelled, and we had to buy new, much more expensive tickets, via the U.K. Thus, donations are most welcome, so that we can bring more speakers of such caliber and follow-up on their work, such as disseminating no oil, vegan recipes and educating people about heart health. You can donate online at
      www.vegetarian-society.org/support_vss#donate
      Thanks.

      TopTop

      Tips from the Esselstyns

      Here are some tips collected unofficially from the Esselstyns’ talks.

      1. Put green, leafy vegetables in everything you can 2. There are only two unhealthy parts of an egg: the egg white and the yoke

      3. We do not need to eat oils to obtain healthy fats; many plant foods, including beans, contain healthy fats

      4. We should not eat anything with a face or a mother

      5. People in SG should continue to be generous and hospitable; the Esselstyns, who were hosted by Dr Kanwaljit Soin and her husband, greatly appreciated their warm welcome here

      6. Heart disease, diabetes, many cancers, obesity and many other diseases are essentially the same food based disease; we can avoid them by eating right

      7. Heart disease is a toothless paper tiger

      8. Heart surgery should only be necessary when someone is in the middle of a heart attack

      9. We cannot use exercise to compensate for a bad diet

      10. Dairy is full of unhealthy fat and does not make our bones healthy.

      For much more information:
      http://www.heartattackproof.com

      TopTop

      Coming Attractions

      At the Esselstyns’ public talk, we showed a trailer for the upcoming film, Forks Over Knives, which features the Esselstyns and Prof T. Colin Campbell, whom VSS hosted in 2009. The film - http://forksoverknives.com – is due for official release in the U.S. this May, with the DVD expected later in the year. VSS hopes to arrange one or more local showings.

      TopTop

      Born To Be Vegan

      VSS is a member of the International Vegetarian Union (IVU). The IVU Regional Coordinator for Asia-Pacific is Dr Susianto Tseng. Pak Susianto is the author of many nutrition books in Bahasa Indonesia, and he is COO of the Indonesia Vegetarian Society. Find out more about this very busy person in this recent article from the Jakarta Post:
      http://www.thejakartapost.com/
      news/2011/03/21/born-be-a-vegan.html

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      A reader sent us this Time Magazine article, titled ‘The Morality of Mealtime’. The article asks if eating meat can ever be humane and if meat eaters are wilfully ignorant:
      http://www.time.com/time/health/
      article/0,8599,2062252,00.html

      TopTop

      Middle Eastern Recipes from Ami’s Veggie Heart

      In Apr, you can learn Middle Eastern dishes from Ami.

      5Apr, Tue, 11am-1pm

      Vegetable Couscous
      Vegetable Stew
      Pickle with a twist

      8Apr Fri, 11am – 1pm

      Falafel
      Hummus (Variations)
      Cucumber Dip
      Potato Dip

      12Apr, Tue, 11am – 1pm

      Couscous Medley
      Garden Mediterranean Salad
      Falafel Salad

      19 Apr, Tue, 11am – 1pm

      Mediterranean Chickpeas with Peppers and Tomatoes
      Balsamic Roasted Cauliflower

      26 Apr, Tue, 11am – 1pm

      Mediterranean Paella
      Roasted Vegetables

      29 Apr, Fri, 11am – 1pm

      Baked Chickpeas and spinach
      Greek Quinoa Salad

      Contact ami@... or 9144.6105. Please sign up at least 3 days before to guarantee a seat. If there is demand for a specific menu, additional classes will be added on. Each class will be at $65.

      TopTop

      Mind-Body-Nature Connection

      Experience a mind-body-nature connection via an Eco-Harmony Detox, De-stress & Rejuvenate Retreat. Join Kampung Senang on 22-24 Apr at Tanjong Sutera , Malaysia

      Fees:
      $450 – Public
      $425 – Kampung Senang Members
      $410 – Detox Alumni

      For enquiries, contact Elaine at 6749.8509 or
      project@...

      TopTop

      Veg Diets Reduce Cataract Risk

      American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2011 Mar 23.
      Diet, vegetarianism, and cataract risk.

      Appleby PN, Allen NE, Key TJ.

      Cancer Epidemiology Unit, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford , Oxford , United Kingdom .

      Abstract

      BACKGROUND: Age-related cataract is a major cause of morbidity. Previous studies of diet and cataract risk have focused on specific nutrients or healthy eating indexes but not on identifiable dietary groups such as vegetarians.

      OBJECTIVE: We investigated the association between diet and cataract risk in a population that has a wide range of diets and includes a high proportion of vegetarians.

      DESIGN: We used Cox proportional hazards regression to study cataract risk in relation to baseline dietary and lifestyle characteristics of 27,670 self-reported nondiabetic participants aged >=40 y at recruitment in the Oxford (United Kingdom) arm of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-Oxford) by using data from the Hospital Episode Statistics in England and Scottish Morbidity Records.

      RESULTS: There was a strong relation between cataract risk and diet group, with a progressive decrease in risk of cataract in high meat eaters to low meat eaters, fish eaters (participants who ate fish but not meat), vegetarians, and vegans. After multivariable adjustment, incidence rate ratios (95% CIs) for moderate meat eaters (50-99 g meat/d), low meat eaters (<50 g meat/d), fish eaters, vegetarians, and vegans compared with high-meat eaters (>=100 g meat/d) were 0.96 (0.84, 1.11), 0.85 (0.72, 0.99), 0.79 (0.65, 0.97), 0.70 (0.58, 0.84), and 0.60 (0.38, 0.96), respectively (P < 0.001 for heterogeneity). Associations between cataract risk and intakes of selected nutrients and foods generally reflected the strong association with diet group.

      CONCLUSION: Vegetarians were at lower risk of cataract than were meat eaters in this cohort of health-conscious British residents.

      TopTop

      The Non-Violent Roots of Plant-Based Diets

      International Vegetarian Union historian, John Davis, has put together what may be surprising information on the dietary ideas of two of history’s most famous advocates of nonviolence: Henry David Thoreau and Mohandas Gandhi. This information suggests that Thoreau in the 19th century and Gandhi in the 20th century advocated plant diets, without any foods from animals.

      http://www.vegsource.com/john-davis/
      henry-david-thoreau-and-the-roots-of-plantism.html

      http://www.vegsource.com/john-davis/gandhi
      ---and-the-launching-of-veganism.html

      TopTop

      NEWSTART Cooking Class

      Learn about the path breaking, research based NEWSTART health programme -
      http://www.newstart.com - for achieving optimal health, Sun, 20 Apr, 7-9.30pm, 798 Thomson Road. Price is at $35 inclusive of meal and health talk. Call John at 8125 1374.

      TopTop

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues. That's how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!

      Back issues are available here.