VSS eNewsletter 15 March 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2011

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      Hard Truths About Heart Health – 27Mar

      2011 Edition of VSS Food Guide Now Available

      VSS AGM

      Animal Welfare Symposium for Students

      Exhibition at Temasek JC

      At Lianhe Wanbao Health & Beauty Fair

      At Benefit Dinner for Mahabodhi Monastery

      Oatmeal: Try VSS’s Recipes Instead of McD’s

      Our Restaurant App Gets Popular

      Design for Change Singapore Invites VSS

      The VSS InBox

      GENERAL NEWS

      New Issue of VegVibe Hits the Streets

      Plant Powered Triathlete

      Raw Foods with Linda Loo

      March Classes from Ami’s Veggie Heart

      Video Parody about Meat Eating

      Many Religions Support Veg

      Dying To Serve Us

      MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Veg Warriors

      More Good News About Soy

      Metta Welfare Charity Walk Cum Carnival

      Nutritious Vegan Food for Children

      Japanese Veg Cooking Classes

      His pioneering work has influenced world leaders, and this month, he will be speaking to doctors in Singapore . Catch Dr. Esselstyn's public talk on the 27th March and learn the Hard Truths about Heart Health.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Hard Truths About Heart Health – 27Mar

      Dr Caldwell Esselstyn’s research leaves him no doubt – If we’re not eating a plant based diet, we are giving ourselves heart disease. Every meal containing animal based foods, including dairy and eggs, is an assault on our coronary system. Heart disease is one of the leading killers in SG. But according to Dr Essy, the proper plant powered diet can save many people and their families from the suffering and sorrow heart disease inflicts.

      We in SG are very fortunate to have an opportunity to hear first hand from this disease conquering guru who will be here for only a few days, most of which are taken up by meeting with medical professionals and the media. Dr Esselstyn’s public talk is one you don’t want to miss. Even if you are already on a plant based diet, you may learn something new.

      Dr Essy has already appeared, via phone interview, on Singapore radio:
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/
      files/ess-938live-110301.mp3

      Date:
      Sun, 27 Mar, 2.30–5.30pm

      Venue:
      DBS Auditorium Level 3
      6 Shenton Way, DBS Building Tower One
      Singapore 068809

      Fee:
      Tickets - $20 for VSS members; $25 for general public

      More details here.

      To purchase tickets, write to VSS here. Payment can be made online or by cheque.

      TopTop

      2011 Edition of VSS Food Guide Now Available

      The updated and expanded 2011 edition of the Singapore Vegetarian Food Guide is out now, and features over 100 restaurants where you can savour the most delectable, animal-friendly veg creations – from lip-smacking healthy organic eats to luscious local favourites. All this in a convenient, easy-to-carry booklet!

      • 77 pages (with many mouth-watering photos)
      • Write-ups on over 100 restaurants
      • Conveniently organised by precincts
      • Locate healthy and delicious vegetarian versions of local favourites

      The Food Guide is available at many bookshops, at Dr Essy’s public talk on 27 Mar and online at
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/products. Please note that a minimum order of four copies applies to online purchases.

      TopTop

      VSS AGM

      We held our AGM on 12 Mar. Our 2010 Annual Report will be on our website soon. Past annual reports are at
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/1317

      Thanks for Kampung Senang for letting us use their Holistic Wellness Centre as the AGM venue. At the AGM, it was inspiring to review and celebrate the events of 2010, and there’s so much ahead of us in 2011 and beyond. Please do get involved in planning future VSS activities and in making them happen, as the tasks before us are urgent.

      TopTop

      Animal Welfare Symposium for Students

      A VSS representative will be among the speakers at SPCA’s Animal Welfare Symposium for Students from 11-18 years of age, on Sat, 19 Mar, 8.30am-3pm at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. This will be an interactive event, and places are still available: http://www.spca.org.sg/whatsnew.html#AWSS

      The VSS topic is ‘Farm Animals: Spare a Thought for Them’. Other speakers include ‘Tormented Food – Exotic and Live Seafood’ by ACRES, ‘The Wild Side of Life – Keeping Wild Animals as Pets’ by ACRES, ‘Our Community Cats – Our Neighbours’ by Cat Welfare Society, and ‘Puppy Mills – Puppies as Pets’ by SPCA.

      TopTop

      Exhibition at Temasek JC

      From 7–11 Mar, VSS held an exhibition at Temasek JC as part of the college’s Health Week. During the same week, we did a talk. Our goal was to raise awareness of the poor health trends in Singapore and to urge everyone to do their best to promote prevention. After all, prevention is surer, cheaper and less painful than cure. One suggestion we made was to increase the quantity and quality of plant based food in the JC’s canteen.

      TopTop

      At Lianhe Wanbao Health & Beauty Fair

      Previously, VSS exhibited at the Lianhe Wanbao Health & Beauty Fair at Suntec. This year, we were invited for the opening ceremony for the 5 & 6 Mar event and took the opportunity to network with this year’s exhibitors, in particular to tell them about Dr Essy’s upcoming visit.

      The exhibitor that was most interested in promoting Dr Essy’s visit was Four Seasons Organic Market. They have outlets at City Square Mall, Great World City and Parkway Parade. Four Seasons is not 100% veg, but they are about 95% veg and offer many healthy veg products for our kitchens. Plus, the City Square outlet has a café.

      TopTop

      At Benefit Dinner for Mahabodhi Monastery

      On 5 Mar, VSS was represented at a benefit dinner for Mahabodhi Monastery, and we had a free half-page ad in the programme distributed at the dinner. In his opening address, the monastery’s abbot, the Venerable Guojin, highlighted the commonalities among religions and noted the presence at the dinner of a Catholic priest. Indeed, VSS works with all religions, as they all advocate kindness towards our fellow beings, and, without doubt, a kind diet is a vegetarian diet.

      TopTop

      Oatmeal: Try VSS’s Recipes Instead of McD’s

      Oatmeal is one of the recipes in the free VSS publication, ‘Meat Less in Singapore’. It’s a very healthy and flexible dish; we can make it sweet or savoury, adding almost anything that tickles our fancy.

      Now, McD’s is adding oatmeal to their menu, at least in the U.S. Find out their ‘unique’ approach as to recipe and price:
      http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/
      2011/02/22/how-to-make-oatmeal-wrong/
      ?src=me&ref=general

      And, here from our ‘Meat Less …’ is a deluxe savoury recipe. (The url above has suggestions for a sweet recipe.)

      5 c water
      1/2 c rolled oats (whole, not instant)
      1 large onion, chopped
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      2 soybean curd sheets or 1 piece of
      “dou pau”
      Salt to taste
      1 tsp mushroom seasoning
      Spring onion and coriander leaves to
      garnish

      1. Sauté onion and garlic in small amount of water till fragrant.
      2. Add water and bring to a boil.
      3. Add dou pau and oats to cook. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 mins
      4. Garnish with spring onion, coriander leaves.

      TopTop

      Our Restaurant App Gets Popular

      There are now about 600 downloads of the VSS Veg Restaurant app in total, according to sales trends at Apple iTunes Connect. The app went as high as the Top 10 for Lifestyle apps in the Singapore Apple store. The ranking has declined; however, at last check, it was still in the Top 100 in the Lifestyle category.

      An update of the VSS Food Guide app should be done soon. Please keep sending in changes and additions of eateries to the VSS Food Guide.

      TopTop

      Design for Change Singapore Invites VSS

      Design for Change (DFC) Singapore –
      www.dfcsingapore.com - works with kids from 9 to 14 years old. The kids identify a problem, imagine possible solutions, do what they can to make a change and share the story of their effort.

      DFC started in India , and in 2010, they worked with over 50,000 schools in 21 countries, including SG. This year, VSS was invited to the initial DFC SG meeting and introduced to the teachers who attended as a possible partner for their students.

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      A reader, Abi Anandakumar, who recently moved to KL, wrote to tell us about her recipe blog. Quite a variety of dishes and great photos to encourage us to give the recipes a try: http://amisvegetariandelicacies.blogspot.com

      TopTop

      New Issue of VegVibe Hits the Streets

      Singapore’s own veg magazine’s Mar/Apr issue is now out online and in veg restaurants:
      http://www.vegvibe.com. The issue is chock full of an incredible variety of information on all sorts of topics of interest to vegetarians and those who want to check out vegetarianism.

      As the editors, see picture, state:

      VegVibe is the only magazine in Singapore that covers anything and everything that is vegetarian and vegan, and serves as a uniting platform for related issues such as Health & Nutrition, Animal Welfare and Environmentalism. We publish once every two months and distribute the magazine free at over 70 locations across the nation.

      To find out where to pick up your free copy of the new issue:
      http://www.vegvibe.com/vegvibeprint.html

      TopTop

      Plant Powered Triathlete

      Brendan Brazier is an Ironman triathlete, author of The Thrive Diet, creator of an award-winning line of whole food nutritional products called Vega, and has also worked with celebs like Hugh Jackman to get them into the best shape of their lives through plant-based diets.

      “I’ve been vegan since I was 15, and I got into it just because I wanted to be a better athlete, I didn’t care what I ate,” the 35-year-old said. “At the time I would’ve eaten anything if I thought it would have made me a better athlete. And I just tried different ways of eating …”
      http://www.ecorazzi.com/2011/02/15/
      ironman-triathlete-brendan-brazier-says-
      vegan-diet-is-best-for-athletes/

      TopTop

      Raw Foods with Linda Loo

      Linda Loo never ceases to amaze with the new classes she creates, not to mention the delicious raw foods that she shares. Here are three more opportunities to learn from SG’s raw food guru. a) The Ultimate Living Weekend
      Dates: 25-27 Mar
      What: Raw Food + Yoga
      http://rawfoodlifestyles.com/wp-content/
      uploads/2011/03/ultimate-living-weekend.pdf

      b) Raw Cacao Madness!
      Date: 20 Mar, Sun
      Time: 11am-2pm
      http://rawfoodlifestyles.com/wp-content/
      uploads/2011/01/cacao-workshop-final.pdf

      c) Living Skin SuperFoods Demo
      Date: 20 Mar, Sun
      Time: 230pm-4pm
      http://rawfoodlifestyles.com/wp-content/
      uploads/2010/11/living-skin-superfoods-demo-pdf.pdf

      TopTop

      March Classes from Ami’s Veggie Heart

      More mouthwatering marvels from Ami.

      a) Date: Tue, 22 Mar, 11am-1pm
      Dishes: vegetable curry, tahu tauge vegetable, vegetable fried rice

      b) Date: Fri, 25 Mar, 11am-1pm
      Dishes: Sayur Dhall, Broccoli with sauce, Paratha

      c) Date: Wed, 30 March, 11am-1pm
      Dishes: Pineapple Fried Rice, Stirfried Eggplant with red sauce, Crispy Tahu

      Email ami@... or call 9144.6105 to register for any of the above sessions. Please sign up at least 3 days before to guarantee a seat. If there is demand for a specific menu, additional classes will be added. Each class will be at SGD $65, which is payable on that day by cash. If you have a custom requirement for any specific item or menu or for weekend classes, please feel free to contact Ami at the above email or phone number to discuss.

      TopTop

      Video Parody about Meat Eating

      From the U.S.
      vegan.com/blog/2011/02/26/
      youtube-ask-your-doctor-about-meat

      TopTop

      Many Religions Support Veg

      Vegetarians can be found in all religions and among those with no religion. Here’s an example from Judaism, a religion not normally associated with vegetarianism. This is from the newsletter of Jewish Vegetarians of North America : http://jewishveg.blogspot.com Of course, as in all religions, Jews differ among themselves in their views. Most Jews are not vegetarians.

      I can sum up "my" views regarding the relationship of Human Beings to non-Human life, nature and the environment simply. (Of course, there are other valid paths to becoming a vegetarian.) It is simple for me because I accept the following (Torah) axioms:

      1) Ha'Shem (G-D) is the eternal, infinite, almighty. omniscient, all-merciful (compassionate/loving) Source of ALL there is.

      2) HIS attribute of love motivates HIM to create a Being (Human by virtue of the DIVINE gift of free moral choice) less than HIM (necessarily) to choose to (lovingly) seek HIM. Any student of psychology will affirm that "love" is a benevolent emotional relationship chosen between two FREE participants.

      3) Nature and the animal world are created to be Man's assistants in this quest. The non-Human creatures are (like Man) BEINGS not THINGS. They (like Man) belong ONLY to G-D. Each (like Man) has a unique soul and mission, which will be fulfilled. ALL (like Man) are rewarded by G-D for this service.

      4) Humans are commanded to emulate G-D's attributes of loving kindness, mercy and compassion.

      5) Man's survival has the highest priority in G-D's plan.

      From the above, one may conclude that Man's behavior towards the animal world is explicitly/stringently dictated and regulated by the commandments just as it is towards his fellow men. Man may not act in a whimsical self-centered fashion towards non-Humans. Man must protect and conserve the world created for his benefit.

      Man may take non-Human life ONLY IF it is necessary to ensure his survival. Humane methods are demanded by G-D. Failure to recognize these principles with the frivolous use of G-D's creatures as objects/commodities is cruel abuse. This is expressly forbidden and condemned by G-D. We do so at our peril.

      TopTop

      Dying to Serve You

      This blog uses photos to remind us that if we go veg, no nonhuman animals end up on our plates or in our bowls:
      http://dyingtoserveyou.com
      &n

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)