VSS eNewsletter 1 March 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2011

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      Heart Disease Is a Paper Tiger
      2011 Edition of VSS Food Guide Now Available
      VSS AGM – 12 March
      Exhibiting at NTU
      The VSS InBox

      New Class from Sophia
      Vegan Love – A 27min Student Film
      Yoga & Healthy Diet
      Bali Retreat
      Reform or Abolition?
      Is It a Good Idea to Donate Animals?
      Einstein Revised: EM=C2
      Nalan Moves
      Is It Really Such a Good Talk?

      Hot off the press: the 2011 edition of the SG Vegetarian Food Guide, which features over 100 veg restaurants, is out now! Get yours here.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Heart Disease Is a Paper Tiger

      Heart disease is one of the leading killers in SG, but according to Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, heart disease is paper tiger. The proper plant powered diet can save many people and their families from the suffering and sorrow heart disease inflicts.
      We in SG are very fortunate to have an opportunity to hear first hand from Dr Esselstyn, a disease conquering guru who will be here for only a few days, most of which are taken up by meeting with medical professionals and the media. Thus, Dr Esselstyn’s public talk on Sun, 27 Mar, is one you don’t want to miss.
      Before the talk, you can also view the trailer for a documentary film featuring Dr Esselstyn and Professor T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study. Here are the details of the event.
      Sun, 27 Mar, 2.30–5.30pm
      DBS Auditorium Level 3
      6 Shenton Way , DBS Building Tower One

      Singapore 068809
      Fee (after 1 Mar 2011):
      VSS members - $20
      Non-members - $25
      More details here.
      To purchase tickets, write to VSS here. Payment can be made online or by cheque.

      2011 Edition of VSS Food Guide Now Available

      In 2009, VSS had a big success with our SG Vegetarian Food Guide, which featured over 70 restaurants. Now, the updated and expanded 2011 edition of the Food guide is out, now featuring 100 restaurants!
      In our next newsletter, we’ll have details of the bookshops where you can buy the guide, but for now, you can pick up copies at the VSS AGM (see next article) or online at
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/products Please note that a minimum order of four copies applies to online purchases.

      VSS AGM – 12 March

      The VSS AGM will take place on Sat, 12 Mar, 2-5pm. This will be our 12th AGM and will be held at the Aljunied home of our friends Kampung Senang, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent , #01-205, S. 380106, 6749 8509. The agenda includes VSS’s annual report, plans for 2011 and election of officers, which is held every two years.
      To enliven the event, health expert Mayura Mohta will be giving a talk and demo (including samples), ‘Top Energy Foods You Must Eat Regularly’. Plus, we will enjoy food from Kampung Senang’s organic kitchen. Anyone is welcome to attend, but, of course, only those who are paid members prior to the day of the AGM can vote:

      Exhibiting at NTU

      On 21-22 Feb, VSS took part in the Earth Awareness Campaign 2011 exhibition at NTU, organized by the Earthlink student group. Vegetarianism was a key theme for the exhibition, and Veggie Thursday –
      www.veggiethursday.sg – was there along with VSS.
      The VSS exhibition includes our nutrition flyer, the Love Us, Not Eat Us sticker, the Meatless in Singapore brochure, an array of colourful, informative posters, the starving child statue, and an assortment of impactful videos. Please contact info@... if you would like the exhibition for your school, workplace, religious institution, etc.

      The VSS InBox

      VSS often hears about veg doings in other Asian countries. Japan is one destination where many vegetarians might expect to have difficulty finding something to eat. Actually, that’s not the case. Indeed, with the worldwide trend towards more people seeking out veg dishes, Japan is becoming increasingly hospitable.
      For example, a reader just sent us this url for a blog about vegan food in Japan : http://vegan--japan.blogspot.com

      New Class from Sophia

      Sophia Teh, the culinary wizardess behind New Green Pastures Café on Level 4 of Fortune Centre, is sharing her magic this month on four Sundays:
      6, 13, 20, 27 Mar, 3-6pm.
      These Mandarin classes cover such dishes as pumpkin risotto, emerald rolls, grandma’s classics and lotus root and mushroom stew. Investment, including dinner, totals $200. To register: 6336.8755.

      Vegan Love – A 27min Student Film

      A student at the London Film School produced the following entertaining romantic comedy:
      At http://veganfilmmaker.com/vegan-love, the producer, Ryan Vance, explains the motivation behind ‘Vegan Love’.
      Being vegan myself, I am passionate about educating people on the many positive benefits of the vegan lifestyle. Most vegan-inspired filmmakers tend to make “documentary” films that serve to educate their viewers about the fine points of veganism. While I think this approach can be very helpful on an instructive level, it can sometimes limit the practical lessons of everyday living for viewers with a vegan interest. Most people see films that allow them to escape, to laugh, to cry, to be scared, and to be entertained -- along with experiencing the clever twists and surprises arraigned for them by the filmmaker.

      Yoga & Healthy Diet

      So many good ideas fit together. One such fortuitous pairing is formed by yoga and healthy diet, as both can boost our physical and mental health.
      Bliss and Wisdom Society will be conducting a series of 12 yoga lessons incorporating basic yoga exercises, healthy diets concept and eco friendly lifestyle. The classes will be held on the following dates:
      Dates: Mar 5. 12, 19, 26; Apr 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; May 7, 14, 21
      Times: Sat 4-5.30pm
      Fee: FOC
      Deposit: $20, Refundable if attendance is more than 75% (9 lessons)
      Venue: 55A Lorong 27 Geylang S. 388183, (Yes Natural Bakery 2nd storey)
      Registration: Bliss and Wisdom Society, 30 Lor 27, Geylang #03-01 (Citiraya Centre), S. 388164
      Contact: Lim Chin Fa 9695.5427, Iris & Ms Koh @ 6547.1580
      Details: http://bliss1357.blogspot.com

      Bali Retreat

      Fivelements, a group that focuses on holistic healing, is holding a retreat in Bali on 12 Mar, on the theme of "The World's Greatest Food". If you're interested in taking part, please do contact Fivelements directly:

      In case you can’t wait to know what the retreat organizers consider to be the world’s greatest food, it’s chocolate.

      Reform or Abolition?

      Should we promote kinder conditions and slaughter for our fellow animals trapped in the factory farming system, or should we only talk about ending the use of other animals as food for humans? Here’s an excerpt from an article which considers this question.
      The Golden Rule: Considering the Animals' Point of View
      Social justice advocates working for others' rights (as opposed to their own rights) must put themselves in the shoes of those on whose behalf they're working. And when we put ourselves in the animals' place, it is easy to see the importance of welfare reforms: If you were destined to be killed, wouldn't you still have a strong preference to spend your life in a large barn, rather than a tiny wire cage where you couldn't spread one wing for your entire life? Given the choice to have your throat slit open while you were completely conscious, or to be put to sleep first, wouldn't you strongly prefer the latter option? None of us would say, "well, I'm just going to die anyway. Please only fight for my complete release!" And of course, if these were human beings, not one of us would say -- let them suffer; we want complete liberation!(...)
      Second, meat-eating continues in part because people are divorced from meat as living, breathing animals. On Oprah recently, Michael Pollan commented on the how Oprah's audience cringed to have to watch farmed animals at all, and he pointed out 1) that the scene that upset them was far from the worst they were supporting as meat eaters; and 2) that if they couldn't watch animals being slaughtered, they shouldn't eat meat. Basically, anything that draws attention to the fact that meat is animal corpses, and that these animals have interests, will be good for the animal rights movement.
      Recent science backs up these intuitive observations, including a Kansas State study which found that media attention on animal issues in the U.S. has had "significant, negative effects" on meat demand. Vegetarian author and researcher Norm Phelps elaborated on this point in an article for the European Vegetarian and Animal News Alliance:
      The Slave Analogy: Why Welfare Reformers are Abolitionists
      Of course advocating for better conditions and for the end of an abusive system altogether are not mutually exclusive. In the case of slavery, it was reasonable to argue, "While we ought to abolish slavery altogether, until that happens, we shouldn't allow slave-owners to whip and rape slaves." Any abolitionist who seriously suggested at the time that "the worst slave owners were those who were kind to their slaves" would have been laughed at (derisively)....
      the full article:

      Is It a Good Idea to Donate Animals?

      Some charities working to address poverty in third world countries suggest that people donate non-human animals, such as pigs and goats, to poor families:
      The following article questions this practice and suggests alternatives:

      Einstein Revised: EM=C

      Along with Maggie Q, Albert Einstein graces the VSS homepage: www.vss.sg It seems that Einstein was long an admirer of vegetarianism, although it is difficult to know how long he was 100% veg:
      Now, some environmentalists have created a twist on Einstein’s famous E=MC2 to remind us of the terrible environmental harm meat eating causes: EM=C2 translates to Eating Meat = Catastrophe Squared. Read the entire article at

      Nalan Moves

      Nalan is a friendly, convenient restaurant with a range of North and South Indian veg dishes. Their outlet near City Hall MRT has shifted to 109 North Birdge Road , B1-01A Funan Digitalife Mall, S. 179097, Tel: 6336.6404. Meanwhile, their other location remains at 414 Serangoon Road , next to City Square Mall and Farrer Park MRT, S. 218124, Tel 6293 6404.

      Is It Really Such a Good Talk?

      Some VSS members are saying this talk by Gary Yourofsky, a US campaigner for animals, is maybe the best pro veg talk they’ve ever seen. Have a look and make up your own mind:

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.
      Click here for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries,
      or email us at makan@... to notify us of new places.
      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues.
      That's how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!
      Back issues are available here.
      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by the Vegetarian Society ( Singapore ).