VSS eNewsletter 21 February 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2011

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      The ‘Must Attend’ Health Talk of 2011

      VSS AGM – 12 March

      Have You Attended a VSS Smoothie Workshop Yet?

      Please Review VSS Restaurant Guide App

      Asian Vegetarian Congress – Nov, 2011

      The VSS InBox

      VSS Participates in Earth Hour 2011

      GENERAL NEWS

      Upcoming from Kampung Senang

      Dairy Doubts

      Global Temperatures Rise at Record Rate

      The White Swan Is Vegan

      New Classes from NutriHub

      Great Letter in ST

      Inspiring Earth Element Workshop

      Healthy Lifestyle Classes from Yes Natural

      Concentrated Gore

      New Organic Shop in Joo Chiat

      Your last chance to enjoy the early bird discount to Dr. Esselstyn's talk on 27 Mar. Book now and learn how you and your loved ones can prevent and even reverse heart disease!

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      More Talks for Dr Esselstyn

      In addition to his big public talk on Sun, 27 Mar, Dr Caldwell Esselstyn will also be doing some closed session talks for doctors, other health professionals and medical students. This interest shows growing attention here to the role of plant based diets in addressing life threatening diseases such as heart disease.

      Here again are the details for the public talk. Please note the deadline for the Early Bird price. Also, more than half the 570 tix are already gone.

      Date:
      Sun, 27 Mar, 2.30-5.30pm

      Venue:
      DBS Auditorium Level 3
      6 Shenton Way, DBS Building Tower One
      Singapore 068809

      Fee:
      Early Bird (by 1 Mar 2011)
      VSS members* & senior citizens (65 and above) - $15
      Non-VSS members - $20

      After 1 Mar 2011
      All tickets - $30

      To purchase tickets, write to VSS here. Payment can be made online or by cheque.

      TopTop

      VSS AGM – 12 March

      We promise that the VSS AGM on Sat, 12 Mar, 2-5pm, will be livelier than the meeting in this photo. This will be our 12th AGM and will take place at the Aljunied home of our friends Kampung Senang, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent , #01-205, S. 380106, 6749 8509. The agenda includes VSS’s annual report, plans for 2011 and election of officers, which is held every two years.

      To enliven the event, health expert Mayura Mohta will be giving a talk and demo, ‘Top Energy Foods You Must Eat Regularly’. Plus, we will enjoy food from Kampung Senang’s organic kitchen. Anyone is welcome to attend, but, of course, only paid members can vote:
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/Join

      TopTop

      Have You Attended a VSS Smoothie Workshop Yet?

      In February, VSS has conducted another two smoothie workshops. Here’s what normally happens at a smoothie workshop. The 30-40 participants are divided into groups of 3-4 at one of 10 stations. Each station is equipped with a blender, a unique assortment of smoothie ingredients and a recipe for combining those ingredients. But first, participants watch a demo of smoothie making. In addition to the Hows of smoothies, the demo also explains the Whys of the benefits of smoothies.

      After participants taste the demo smoothie, the real fun begins. Each group makes the smoothie in their recipe and then roams the room sampling the other group’s smoothie creations. Everyone goes home with a handout containing all 10 recipes.

      The entire event, including cleanup, takes about 2hrs. Interested? Contact info@...

      TopTop

      Please Review VSS Restaurant Guide App

      The VSS Food Guide is available for FREE from Jan 28 to Feb 28, 2011. The app is available for download on iTunes at http://j.mp/cZnXk2. We’d like to thank MobyFab, the company that developed the app: http://mobyfab.com.

      This month, 100s of people have downloaded the app. If you use the app and like it, pls consider writing a review in iTunes. That would be one incentive for keeping it free.

      TopTop

      Asian Vegetarian Congress – Nov, 2011

      The Asian Veg Congress is held every two years. In 2009, it was in Batam; this year, it’s in Hangzhou , 8-9 Nov:
      http://www.apcnsorg.com/avuc

      Chairing the Congress is Professor Li Duo of Zhejiang University in Hangzhou . Here’s a summary of a recent article by Prof Li. The article appeared in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

      This review summarizes the effect of a habitual vegetarian diet on clinical complications in relation to chemistry and biochemistry. Omnivores have a significantly higher cluster of cardiovascular risk factors compared with vegetarians, including increased body mass index, waist to hip ratio, blood pressure, plasma total cholesterol (TC), triacylglycerol and LDL-C levels, serum lipoprotein(a) concentration, plasma factor VII activity, ratios of TC/HDL-C, LDL-C/HDL-C and TAG/HDL-C, and serum ferritin levels. Compared with omnivores, vegetarians, especially vegans, have lower serum vitamin B(12) concentration and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) levels in the tissue membrane phospholipids, which are associated with increased collagen and ADP stimulated ex vivo whole blood platelet aggregation, plasma 11-dehydrothromboxane B(2), and homocysteine levels and decreased plasma HDL-C. This may be associated with an increased thrombotic and atherosclerotic risk. It is suggested that vegetarians, especially vegans, should increase their dietary n-3 PUFA and vitamin B(12) intakes.

      Click here and here to learn more about PUFA and B12.

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      A reader wrote to share that an article had come out in ST recently on the author (Jonathan Safron Foer) of the book ‘Eating Animals’, which is a powerful, fact filled expose of the horrors of modern factory farming.

      The book is widely available at bookshops, but here’s from our friends at NLB.

      We are pleased to inform you that your recommended title is already available in the following libraries under the call number,
      English 641.303 FOE:

      Ang Mo Kio Public Library
      Bedok Public Library
      Bishan Public Library
      Bukit Merah Public Library
      Central Public Library
      Jurong Regional Library
      Jurong West Public Library
      Marine Parade Public Library
      Pasir Ris Public Library
      Queenstown Public Library
      Toa Payoh Public Library
      Tampines Regional Library
      Woodlands Regional Library

      However, the last time VSS checked, all the copies were on loan or had been reserved.

      The same reader told us that if NLB doesn’t have a book we want, we can ask them to order copies:
      http://www.pl.sg/page/PlJustBrowseAcctService/
      RecommendTitle

      That’s a great way to increase the number of good reads available.

      TopTop

      VSS Participates in Earth Hour 2011

      Our friends at WWF (Worldwide Fund for Nature) invited VSS to participate in the annual Earth Hour event. We are glad to do so. Here’s the write up.

      Get on your feet and show your support to the protection of our Planet!

      This year, for Earth Hour, on Sat 26 Mar, WWF will be hosting a live concert, a carnival, an outdoor movie screening and the first ever walk ‘in-the-dark’ at the Promontory @ Marina Bay . The Earth Hour Night Walk will commence at 8.30pm. This walk is approximately 3.5km long (about 1 hour). Celebrity supporters of Earth Hour, Nadya Hutagalung and Tung Soo Hua, will also be walking with us, amongst others.

      You can register for the Earth Hour Night Walk at
      http://earthhour.wwf.sg/registrations.php. A registration fee of $S 15 apply, free of charge for children 12 years old and below. For more info, visit www.wwf.sg

      TopTop

      Upcoming from Kampung Senang

      Our friends at Kampung Senang are offering a wide variety of classes and other wellness experiences. To learn more, join their Mind & Body Health & Fitness Program
      http://www.eco-harmony.net/links/
      eco-harmony_new_event.html
      ,

      http://www.kg-senang.org.sg/

      Here’s the upcoming schedule.

      1. Bonding with Nature for Wellness
      Juice fasting, Natural Therapies, Lung and Liver Detox
      Program conducted in English jointly with the Health Care Centre in Malaysia .
      Date: 27 Feb-04 Mar, Tampin, Malaysia
      Continuation: 05 Mar, Holistic Lifestyle Centre , Singapore

      2. Purification & Rejuvenation Retreat in Taiwan @ Mountain Alisan
      14-22 Apr
      Venue: Mountain Alisan, Taiwan

      3. 1-Day Therapy & Detox Program
      Every Wed (by appointment except public holidays) from 7:30am-4pm
      Venue: Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106 Aljunied Crescent

      TopTop

      Doubts about Dairy

      This site offers video & more on dairy industry treatment of cows. Sure to put u in a bad moooood abt milk. http://www.animalsaustralia.org Fortunately, there are healthier alternatives:
      http://eatdrinkbetter.com/2010/02/02/
      eating-vegan-tasty-milk-alternatives/

      TopTop

      Global Temperatures Rise at Record Rate

      Here are excerpts from an article that is worth reading:
      http://www.earth-policy.org/indicators/
      C51/temperature_2011
      . The moral of the story is that we need to convince our friends and family members to eat veg to slow global warming.

      Topping off the warmest decade in history, 2010 experienced a global average temperature of 14.63 degrees Celsius (58.3 degrees Fahrenheit), tying 2005 as the hottest year in 131 years of recordkeeping.

      This news will come as no surprise to residents of the 19 countries that experienced record heat in 2010. Belarus set a record of 38.7 degrees Celsius (101.7 degrees Fahrenheit) on August 6 and then broke it by 0.2 degrees Celsius just one day later. A 47.2-degree Celsius (117.0-degree Fahrenheit) spike in Burma set a record for Southeast Asia as a whole. And on May 26, 2010, the ancient city of Mohenjo-daro in Pakistan hit 53.5 degrees Celsius (128.3 degrees Fahrenheit) - a record not only for the country but for all of Asia . In fact, it was the fourth hottest temperature ever recorded anywhere.

      The earth’s temperature is not only rising, it is rising at an increasing rate. From 1880 through 1970, the global average temperature increased roughly 0.03 degrees Celsius each decade. Since 1970, that pace has increased dramatically, to 0.13 degrees Celsius per decade. Two thirds of the increase of nearly 0.8 degrees Celsius (1.4 degrees Fahrenheit) in the global temperature since the 1880s has occurred in the last 40 years. And 9 of the 10 warmest years happened in the last decade.

      TopTop

      The White Swan Is Vegan

      Did you know that the star of the current Oscar buzz generating movie, Black Swan, Natalie Portman, is a vegan, who was influenced by the book, Eating Animals, mentioned earlier in this newsletter. Natalie’s ballet dancing in the film was all plant powered!

      TopTop

      New Classes from NutriHub

      Earlier this month, VSS had a CNY gathering for our more active members, with lo hei from NutriHub (purchased at the regular very reasonable price). Everyone can learn to cook like Vanitha and her NutriHub team via the classes they offer.

      1. Wed 23 Feb, 3-5pm: Harmonising Your Body Energy ITM
      2. Fri 25 Feb, 10.30am-1pm: Spice up Your Day with our Nutrimeal Cooking TM
      3. Sat 26 Feb, 2.30-4.30pm: Raw like Cooked TM
      4. Wed 9 Mar or Sat 12 Mar, 2.30-5pm: Nutri Dessert / Snack TM

      For registration / enquiry/ booking, contact Ms Vinitha Ang at 9236.8402.
      Details: http://www.nutrihub.blogspot.com

      TopTop

      Great Letter in ST

      This is the original version of a letter which appeared in ST.

      I refer to editorial "A year of vegging out" by Stephanie Yap. Like Stephanie, I am concerned with animal welfare but I loved meat and hated vegetables too much. In the past years, I underwent a number of failed attempts to go on a vegetarian diet when I abruptly cut off meat consumption completely. Everything felt wrong then: I felt hungry after meals, I felt deprived of meal options, my brain tortured me. I felt like a drug addict undergoing rehab, but I now realise that these were mainly psychological effects of a bodily change.

      Last year, I took on a different approach, by cutting off different types of meat from my diet, one at a time and at a pace I could manage. I started with the tiny step of boycotting cruel and unsustainable dishes including foie gras, shark fin and blue-fin tuna. Next, consumption of beef and pork halted completely, and I started calling beef "cow flesh" and pork "pig flesh". It helps remind me these are flesh from animals and not "meat" which equates animals with food.

      Chicken came next in the queue and was removed from my diet, as I went on a pescatarian diet for a few months before I totally embraced the vegetarian lifestyle.

      The new diet changed me physically, emotionally and mentally. For an animal-lover who has always been on meat-focused diet, it is a great achievement. I stopped feeling guilty about what I eat. My tummy deflated, bowel & menstrual systems regulated themselves, and my complexion took a turn for the better.

      The growing attention surrounding factory farming and unsustainable seafood has brought more people on the route of responsible eating. As the Chinese New Year approaches, it would also be respectable if companies and individuals can also take into consideration the removal of controversial dishes such as foie gras and shark fin from their lohei menus. For evidence, watch
      http://www.facebook.com/video/
      video.php?v=186915044669269

      Jennifer Lee

      TopTop

      Inspiring Earth Element Workshop

      John Wong C W suffered severe neck down paralysis and blindness in 2005. As a result, medical professionals did not believe he walk or see again. Learn how he recovered, in part via a vegetarian diet.

      Date: Sat, 26 Feb, 1pm
      Venue: Kampung Senang Holistic Lifestyle Centre, Blk 106 Aljunied Crescent
      Price: Free
      Info: 6749.8509, admin@...,
      www.facebook.com/kampung.senang, or
      www.kg-senang.org.sg

      TopTop

      Healthy Lifestyle Classes from Yes Natural

      Here’s the latest schedule for the series of classes from the good folks at Yes Natural.

      Sunday afternoon classes

      Dates: 13/3, 20/3, 27/3, 3/4, 10/4, 17/4, 24/4, 8/5, 15/5/2011(Sun)
      There will be 9 lessons conducted in Mandarin.
      Fee: FOC ($20 refundable deposit if you attend more that 7 lessons)
      Time 3-4.30pm
      Venue : 55A Lorong 27 Geylang (Yes Natural Bakery 2nd Floor near Aljunied MRT)
      Contact Person: Ms Iris or Koh Lee Yong at 6547.1580.

      Saturday evening classes

      Mandarin Healthy Lifestyle Classes
      Dates: 05/3, 12/3, 19/3, 02/4, 09/4, 16/4, 07/5, 14/5, 21/5/2011
      (First three Saturdays of March, April, May)
      Fee: FOC ($20 refundable deposit if you attend more that 7 lessons)
      Time: 7-8.30pm
      Venue: Yes Natural Tiong Bahru, Blk 58 Seng Poh Rd, Opposite Tiong Bahru Market
      Contact Ms Oh Teck Zeng at 6227.3280

      Please call to register, and we request you to bring your own eating utensils for food tasting so that we will not use the disposable utensils.

      TopTop

      Concentrated Gore

      This 11 minute, 50 second video from Mercy for Animals shows scenes from factory farms and slaughterhouses. Only near that end does ‘Farm to Fridge’ show the vegetarian alternative. If you’re looking for something to shock people into reconsidering their food choices, this might work: www.meatvideo.com

      TopTop