VSS eNewsletter 1 February 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      The ‘Must Attend’ Health Talk of 2011

      VSS Food Guide App Free Till 28 Feb

      Join VSS in Supporting Shark Fin Campaign

      VSS AGM – 12 March

      Heal the Earth – A Beautiful Day at Marina Bay

      The VSS InBox

      GENERAL NEWS

      Learn From and Help Rabbits

      Five CNY Recipes

      Interview with Prof Campbell of ‘The China Study’

      Vegan Pregnancy for Hollywood Actress

      Soy Ice Cream at Bugis Junction

      Good News, Amigos – Veg Burritos at Raffles City

      The Vegan Trend in the US

      Ami's Veggie Heart – Cooking Classes

      Singapore's Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan and former US President Bill Clinton were both inspired by his work. This Mar, come meet Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      The ‘Must Attend’ Health Talk of 2011

      VSS is delighted to host the SG visit of renowned heart health researcher and plant-based diet advocate,
      Dr Caldwell Esselstyn. Dr Esselstyn’s visit includes talks to doctors, media interviews and this public talk.

      Date:
      Sun, 27 Mar, 2.30–5.30pm

      Venue:
      DBS Auditorium Level 3
      6 Shenton Way , DBS Building Tower One

      Singapore 068809

      Fee:
      Early Bird (before 22 Feb 2011)
      VSS members* & senior citizens (65 and above) - $15
      Non-VSS members - $20

      After 22 Feb 2011
      All tickets - $30

      To purchase tickets, write to VSS here. Payment can be made online or by cheque. More details here.

      TopTop

      VSS Food Guide App Free Till 28 Feb

      We are happy to announce that the VSS Food Guide is be available for FREE from Jan 28 to Feb 28, 2011. The app is available for download on iTunes at http://j.mp/cZnXk2 We’d like to thank MobyFab, the company that developed the app: http://mobyfab.com.

      If you use the app and like it, pls consider writing a review in iTunes. That would be one incentive for keeping it free.

      VSS's iphone app is on a list of the 10 most useful SG iphone apps:
      http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/12/27/
      10-most-useful-singapore-iphone-apps/

      TopTop

      Join VSS in Supporting Shark Fin Campaign

      Our friends at Project Fin are doing a campaign entitled, Celebrate Chinese New Year with No Shark Fin Soup. VSS, ACRES and other orgs have signed up to support. Find out what you can do at:
      Chinese Version.

      English Version

      TopTop

      VSS AGM – 12 March

      VSS will be holding its AGM on Sat, 12 Mar, 2-5pm at the Aljunied home of our friends Kampung Senang, Blk 106, Aljunied Crescent, #01-205, S. 380106, 6749 8509. The agenda includes VSS’s annual report, plans for 2011 and election of officers, which is held every two years.

      To enliven the event, health expert Mayura Mohta will be giving a talk and demo, ‘Top Energy Foods You Must Eat Regularly’. Plus, we will enjoy food from Kampung Senang’s organic kitchen. Anyone is welcome to attend, but, of course, only members can vote:
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/Join

      TopTop

      Heal the Earth – A Beautiful Day at Marina Bay

      Sun, 23 January was a beautiful day to celebrate the many ways we can protect the beauty of nature. VSS was fortunate to join others at the Veggie Thursday –
      www.veggiethursday.sg - booth of the Heal the Earth event at Marina Barrage. About 1500 flyers were distributed, and many signed up to receive the weekly tips that Veggie Thursday will start sending out later this month.

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      We recently received the following email:

      Hi, I have recently purchased a box of Knorr stock cubes, sold as "The Vegetable Cube". However, on reading the list of ingredients on the box (in very small print), I see that beef is included in the flavouring!!! I have sent an email to the company to register my complaint of this, as I feel it is VERY mis-leading to have a product named as such, but which in fact, contains meat! I thought you would like to be aware of this.

      TopTop

      Learn From and Help Rabbits

      As we enter the Year of the Rabbit, our friends at House Rabbit Society ( Singapore ) - http://www.hrss.net - inform us that our hopping fellow vegetarians are in trouble. Too many people are buying rabbits and then abandoning them.

      HSR needs caring humans to foster or adopt rabbits. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a fellow vegetarian sharing your home?

      TopTop

      Five CNY Recipes

      Looking for ideas about what to cook for your vegetarian reunion dinner? Here are a few:
      http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10073

      Plus, Whole Earth restaurant now features a recipe on its website.

      TopTop

      Interview with Prof Campbell of ‘The China Study’

      In 2009, VSS brought Cornell professor, T. Colin Campbell to SG for talks and media engagements. Prof Campbell is still working hard to promote plant based nutrition. This link goes to a recent New York Times interview.

      Here’s an excerpt:

      Q.
      Do you advocate a 100 percent plant-based diet?
      A.
      We eat that way, meaning my family, our five grown children and five grandchildren. We all eat this way now. I say the closer we get to a plant-based diet the healthier we are going to be.

      It’s not because we have data to show that 100 percent plant-based eating is better than 95 percent. But if someone has been diagnosed with cancer or heart disease, it’s smart to go ahead and do the whole thing. If I start saying you can have a little of this, a little of that, it allows them to deviate off course. Our taste preferences change. We tend to choose the foods we become accustomed to, and in part because we become addicted to them, dietary fat in particular.

      If we go to a plant-based diet, at first it might be difficult, but it turns out after a month or two our taste preferences change and we discover new tastes and feel a lot better, and we don’t want to go back. It’s not a religion with me, it’s just that the closer we get to a 100 percent plant-based diet, the better off we’re going to be.

      TopTop

      Vegan Pregnancy for Hollywood Actress

      Alicia Silverstone is both an actress and an activist for animals. For example, her 2009 book, ‘The Kind Diet’ provides tips on how to enjoy eating without animal based foods. Alicia is now pregnant with her first child. This article from The San Francisco Examiner offers advice on vegan pregnancy:
      http://www.examiner.com/vegan-in-national/
      a-healthy-vegan-pregnancy-for-
      alicia-silverstone

      TopTop

      Soy Ice Cream at Bugis Junction

      Have you stopped eating ice cream or are you eating less because of concerns that dairy isn’t good for your health, the environment or the cows? If so, get ready to enjoy ice cream again, because soy ice cream is available at Soyato, Bugis Junction, #B1-K5, open daily, 11am to 10.30pm, www.soyato.com, hello@...

      Another vegan ice cream provider now has their website up: www.brownice.com. As the name implies, their ice cream is made of brown rice.

      TopTop

      Good News, Amigos – Veg Burritos at Raffles City

      A reader wrote in with the following good news. The story is a good example of being persistent in asking for veg options at non-veg eateries.

      A relatively new burrito stall, Senor Burrito in the basement of Raffles City has veggie burritos. When the place first opened, sometime late last year, I asked if the pinto beans had lard in them. The counter person was kind enough to call the owners but couldn't get through. So, I asked again the next day, and he again tried, and this time he confirmed that the beans did have lard.

      This year, I wrote to them suggesting that they prepare a lard free version, and I was delighted to get a prompt reply from the manager guaranteeing that as of Jan 15, the beans are lard free. If you don't take onions, you can probably get the burrito with just the beans, and rice, lettuce, and one of their sauces might be onion/garlic free.

      For those of you who are ok with onion/garlic, the veggie burrito is yum (with sautéed veggies and fresh salsa) is yum - if a trifle expensive.

      TopTop

      The Vegan Trend in the US

      Listen to this radio show to hear about the increasing, but still small, trend in the US towards vegan food: http://www.onpointradio.org/2011/01/vegans-america

      Here’s a blurb for the show:
      On TV Americans heard for years, “Beef: it’s what’s for dinner,” while vegans ate no meat, no fish, no eggs, no dairy – for some not even honey. Nothing that would exploit an animal, never mind keep a steakhouse or burger joint running.

      But things change, and suddenly vegans and veganism seem to be everywhere. Some Americans going all the way. Some toe-dipping. It’s a remarkable moment, a remarkable shift.

      TopTop

      Ami's Veggie Heart – Cooking Classes

      Ami's Veggie Heart has organised more vegetarian cooking classes for Feb and Mar 2011. Schedule and dishes here.

      Email ami@... or call 9144.6105 to register for any of the sessions. Please sign up at least 3 days before to guarantee a seat. If there is demand for a specific menu, additional classes will be added on. Each class will be at SGD $65 which is payable on that day by cash. If you have a custom requirement for any specific item or menu or for weekend classes, please feel free to contact Ami at the above email or phone number to discuss.

      TopTop

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

      Click here for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries,

      or email us at makan@... to notify us of new places.

      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues.
      That's how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!

      Back issues are available here.

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by the Vegetarian Society ( Singapore ).