VSS eNewsletter 18 January 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2011

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      Heal the Earth - 23 Jan, Marina Barrage

      Talk to RI Students

      Talk at Animal Welfare Symposium for Students

      Letter on Water to ST Forum

      Correspondence with a Straits Times Columnist

      Launch of New Book on Vegetarianism

      The VSS InBox

      GENERAL NEWS

      VegVibe Jan-Feb 2011 Issue

      Green Smoothies Outlet Opens

      Loving Hut Opens 5th Outlet

      A Vegan Entrepreneur’s Story

      Anthology Probes Humans’ Links to Other Animals

      Book Investigates Cow’s Milk and Human Health

      From the Web

      Animal Communication Workshops

      One of the First Celebrity Vegans

      Taiwan Trip in April

      10 Veg Fast Food Choices in Asia

      Nutritional Solutions for a Quick & Natural Detox

      Being veg isn't an either/or choice. More and more people, including this ST columnist, are finding their own ways to reduce meat.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Heal the Earth - 23 Jan, Marina Barrage

      ‘Heal the Earth’, a celebration of everything green - http://www.healtheearth.com.sg – will take place Sun, 23 Jan, 8am-5pm, at Marina Barrage.

      The Human Form-up for breaking the record listed in the Singapore Book of Records and taking the 10 cents pledge will be targeting 10000 people, and the carnival will involve 58 booths. VSS will be there, too, encouraging people to take the very green action of eating less or no meat.

      TopTop

      Talk to RI Students

      For several years, VSS has been working with RI students, both secondary and JC, giving talks and helping students with projects related to vegetarianism and meat reduction. We are continuing this work in 2011, starting with an assembly talk to students on 19 Jan.

      Know of other schools where VSS might be able to help? Write to info@... to discuss.

      TopTop

      Talk at Animal Welfare Symposium for Students

      In Jan, 2010, VSS did a talk at the Animals for Asia conference at Furama Hotel. In the audience was an SPCA - www.spca.org.sg – staff member. She liked the talk and has invited VSS to give another talk, this one titled ‘Eat Less Meat’, at the Animal Welfare Symposium for Students that SPCA is helping to organise on 19 Mar at Ngee Ann Poly. The anticipated 300 student leaders from upper primary and secondary will not only listen to the VSS talk and others but also participate in activities.

      If you are a student or know any students, please be reminded that VSS has a number of options for schools and other educational institutions (not to mention workplaces) to help people better understand why vegetarianism is a rising trend and how they might reduce and end their own meat consumption. Also, we offer free membership to students:
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/student

      TopTop

      Letter on Water to ST Forum

      I refer to ‘Small steps to shrink our water footprint’ (ST Jan 8, p. A30). The article’s author, Dan McCarthy, asks if we should become vegetarians as a step towards wise water use. Reasons why meat has a large water footprint include:

      1. Many kgs of plant food need to be fed to chickens, pigs, cows, etc. to produce just one kg of meat. Large quantities of water are required to grow all that extra food.

      2. The approximately 60 billion land animals whom we humans ate last year produced large amounts of solid and liquid waste. Some of this waste ends up polluting water.

      McCarthy demonstrates that we can take many actions to shrink our water footprint. Reducing our meat consumption deserves an important place on our water reduction menus.

      TopTop

      Correspondence with a Straits Times Columnist

      On Thu, 6 Jan, ST columnist Stephanie Yap published a column titled, ‘A Year of Vegging Out’ which described what she had learned about the horrors of meat production and shared her not completely successful attempts to reduce her meat consumption. In the piece, she cited the book ‘Eating Animals’ by Jonathan Safron Foer, which carefully documents the cruelty that is part and parcel of modern factory farming.

      After reading the column, VSS president, George Jacobs, sent Ms Yap an email (excerpted below):

      I read your column – ‘A year of vegging out’ – today, and I admire your efforts to reduce your meat consumption and your reasons for doing so. As you note, it is horrible what we do to our fellow animals so that we can unnecessarily eat them.

      In your column, you quote Eating Animals. Coincidentally, I was watching a video today of a talk by the book’s author Jonathan Safron Foer:
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2OGh9Qw
      nP8&feature=player_embedded

      If you scroll ahead to the Q&A section of the talk, there’s a part where he makes some points that might be relevant to your situation. In particular, during minute 29, he explains that being veg isn’t something binary; it’s actually a continuum. Absolutely no one is pure; no food is guilt free. For example, non-human animals who live in fields are killed as tractors harvest plants. Also, lots of insects are killed as food is transported. Thus, it’s about reducing, not eliminating, suffering. http://www.veganoutreach.org

      Have you heard about Veggie Thursday: http://www.facebook.com/veggiethursdaysg ?

      Ms Yap kindly replied:

      Thanks so much for your encouragement and all the interesting links. What Foer says about reducing suffering is indeed thought-provoking. Sometimes, we focus so much on absolutes and miss the forest for the trees. I will join the Veggie Thursday Facebook group. Thanks again for writing to me!

      TopTop

      Launch of New Book on Vegetarianism

      A VSS representative was an invited guest at the SG launch of a book on vegetarianism by the Pyramid Spiritual Societies Movement, India – www.pssmovement.org – held at the Civil Service Club on Tessensohn Road . The book is a compilation of writings by prominent names in vegetarianism.

      VSS flyers were distributed to the 250 people who attended. VSS welcomes opportunities to work with different organisations, be they secular or spiritual:
      info@...

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      We received the following useful announcement:

      March 26, 2011, ECO Singapore, the leading youth social enterprise advocating sustainable lifestyles for youths, will again support WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature) in Singapore for the highly successful annual Earth Hour event. For one hour starting from 8:30pm, commercial entities and residential households around the island will power down their lighting collectively, drawing attention to the extent of energy that actually goes into superfluous lighting.

      TopTop

      VegVibe Jan-Feb 2011 Issue

      The new issue of VegVibe magazine is out with the usual great mix of news that we can use to inform and inspire us. VegVibe can be read on line at
      http://www.vegvibe.com or you can pick up a free copy at these locations:
      http://www.vegvibe.com/vegvibeprint.html.

      TopTop

      Green Smoothies Outlet Opens

      The smoothie trend continues with a new shop devoted to green smoothies: LINS Smoodees Bar & Showroom, 18 Cross Street #B1-02, China Square Central, Marsh & Mclennan Center (next to Cold Storage), S. 048423,
      www.linssmoodees.com, 64382 123 / 90078 233 or
      slurp@... It’s a little tricky to find, but worth the effort.

      Most people think smoothies are just about fruit, but smoothies can also be a great way to get our greens.

      The entrepreneur behind this venture is Adeline Tan, who has also established The Healing Concierge and will be signing an agreement with the Nanyang Polytechnic’s School of Chemical and Life Sciences to conduct research into green smoothie blends based on market research on the healing needs of Singaporeans. This Research & Development project will be largely funded by SPRING Singapore ’s Innovation Voucher Scheme. Furthermore, Adeline uses organic greens.

      Last but not least, Adeline is a big supporter of Veggie Thursday -
      www.facebook.com/veggiethursdaysg#!/
      veggiethursdaysg?v=wall
      - and displays Veggie Thursday flyers in her shop:

      www.facebook.com/album.php?aid
      =21636&id=123392897706992

      TopTop

      Loving Hut Opens 5th Outlet

      Loving Hut vegan restaurants now have a fifth outlet, this one at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, 90 Yishun Central, Tower C, Level 1, NTUC Foodfare, Stall 8, Tel: 6570-0186,
      http://www.lovinghut.com.sg Open Daily 7am-10pm.

      TopTop

      A Vegan Entrepreneur’s Story

      Linda Loo teaches a holistic approach to wellness, featuring vegan food and yoga. Here’s Linda’s inspiring story, followed by listings for two of her upcoming workshops. The bit about it being ‘totally achievable’ is especially nice.

      Five years ago this very same day, I made a resolution to quit smoking and drinking; a year later on New Year's Eve, I made a new resolution to clean up my diet and radically change my eating habits.

      Looking back on my entire four years of transition, and living a raw vegan's lifestyle with consistent yoga now, I have so much more energy, clarity and fitness breakthroughs that I simply cannot imagine living my life any other way. Did you just make New Year Resolutions towards healthy living just like I did years ago?

      If you did, I wish to applaud you on displaying courage and strength. And of course, I'd like to encourage you that it is TOTALLY ACHIEVABLE!

      After teaching for 3 years, and in what seemed to be no more than a blink of the eye, I've witnessed the transformations and quantum jump of health conscious people in Singapore and Asia . More and more people are experiencing these health transformations, reaping the benefits and enjoying better qualities of life than ever. And I'm both honored and inspired to be part of this evolution.

      If we look around us with clarity, we realize that the world is changing rapidly, and both planet & people are getting sicker by the day. The alarming news is that these symptoms show no signs of improving; but the good news is: we each have a choice over our health and wellness level. The first thing to exercise consciousness over is our DIET.

      1. Signature Detox & Rejuvenate Basic Workshop, Sat, 22 Jan, 10am

      To register, write into info@... titled "Basic Detox 22 Jan" with your name and contact no.

      2. Exclusive Living Skin Intensive, Sat, 29 Jan, 10am

      View workshop details here:
      rawfoodlifestyles.com/wp-content/
      uploads/2010/11/living-skin.pdf

      TopTop

      Anthology Probes Humans’ Links to Other Animals

      ‘Other Nations: Animals in Modern Literature’, edited by Tom Regan and Andrew Linzey, is the world’s first anthology designed to employ the power of fiction to illuminate our moral relationship with animals. Other Nations includes the writing of such well-known authors as Ernest Hemingway, George Orwell, and Alice Walker. Organizing the literary pieces according to the means by which human beings relate to the non-human animals discussed - as companions, as sources of food, as objects of sport and entertainment, and as subjects in scientific research - enables readers to relate these texts (and these non-human animals) to their own experiences and to the manifold issues now discussed in public forums.

      TopTop

      Book Investigates Cow’s Milk and Human Health

      Here are excerpts from Dr Ruth Heidrich’s review of Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth about Cow's Milk and Your Health by Joseph Keon:
      http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/12/
      book-review-whitewash-the-disturbing-truth-
      about-cows-milk-your-health.html

      If you or anyone you care about still consumes dairy products, the information in this book can be life saving. Why? Well, it takes nearly 300 pages, including the scientific studies that back up Dr. Keon's statements, to cover the data that support the contentions that dairy is dangerous to human health!

      Just scanning the Table of Contents, you get the idea that milk-lovers might be in for a rough ride. For example, how about diarrhea, anemia, arthritis, migraines, asthma, breast, prostate and ovarian cancers, SIDS, Type 1 diabetes, osteoporosis, and maybe the not-so-fatal but extremely annoying gas, bloating, eczema, runny nose, acne, fatigue, constipation, growth retardation, psychological disturbances, and/or lowered IQ.

      Behind each of these, you'll get the science supporting these findings. … Contrary to what we've been told since childhood, the scientific literature does not support the claim, for example, that cow's milk protects human bones from fracture. There are over 70 foods from the plant kingdom that provide not only calcium, but also are packaged with the many other nutrients essential to bone health. These foods are free of the cholesterol, lactose, the hormones and growth factors, and the antibiotic residues found in cow's milk.

      TopTop

      From the Web

      Here’s a website for concise, balanced nutrition information:
      www.thenutritionmd.com

      And, here’s another place on the web for info on the many negatives of animal based foods and the many benefits of plant based foods:
      www.yeenet.eu/index.php/
      component/content/article/452

      And, one more, a place for recipes:
      www.badassvegan.com/index/Recipes/Recipes.html

      TopTop

      Animal Communication Workshops

      Rosina Arquati will be back in SG in March to do more Animal Communication workshops:
      http://zeuscommunications.blogspot.com/
      2011/01/animal-communication-workshops.html

      TopTop

      One of the First Celebrity Vegans

      According to the internet, current celebrity vegans include talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, musician Moby and ultramarathoner Scott Jurek. IVU (International Vegetarian Union) historian John Davis tells us that one of the first vegan celebrities, at least in the West, was the 19th century poet Percy Bysshe Shelley. Read more at: www.vegsource.com/john-davis/shelley
      ---the-first-celebrity-vegan.html

      TopTop

      Taiwan Trip in April

      Longtime VSS member Violet Lee has organised many trips around SG and approach. People enjoy Violet’s warm and outgoing personality and appreciate her attention to detail.

      Violet is organising another Taiwan veg trip, setting off on 30 Apr. Price per person is S$1650. VSS members enjoy a S$100 discount per 2 pax signed. Furthermore, for every two VSS members who participate in the trip, Violet will donate S$50 to VSS.

      For details, contact Violet at 90065525 or
      violet_lyh@.... If you’re interested, Violet needs to hear from you this month.

      TopTop

      10 Veg Fast Food Choices in Asia

      PETA Asia recently published their Top 10 list of tastiest fast food items around the continent:
      blog.petaasiapacific.com/vegetarianism/
      top-10-tuesday-tastiest-fast-
      food-items?c=papenews

      Among the items mentioned were the burgers at SG’s own Veganburg.

      VSS wrote to add a couple ideas:
      What about Komala’s: fast food veg Indian with many outlets?
      Subway in Singapore also has veggie patties, plus the Veggie Delite sandwich at Subway and a similar sandwich at Quizmos. There are many others.

      Suggestions? Send to info@...

      TopTop

      Nutritional Solutions for a Quick & Natural Detox

      Mayura Mohta, founder of Healthfriend, will be presenting another of her practical, science based workshops. As usual, she is d

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)