VSS eNewsletter 1 October 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      Interview with Son of Indonesia Veg Society Founder

      Veggie Thursday

      The VSS InBox

      GENERAL NEWS

      Another 10/10/10 Event

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      How I Became a Once a Week Vegan

      Free Weight Loss Talk at 7 Sensations

      Help Needy Kids and Sign Veggie Pledge

      Former US President Clinton Becomes Near Vegan

      TV Advert Questions Fast Food Meat

      More From ‘Men’s Journal’

      Fasting and Veg

      Sustainable Fun Day at Green Circle Eco-Farm

      CC Classes by Adeline Lo

      And, CC Classes by Chef Oh

      More Maggie Q

      Earthlings Day

      Health Talk, by Cancer Centre Director, Cum Dinner

      Former US President, Bill Clinton, goes plant-based, and tells us why in a CNN interview.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      VSS members enjoy discounts at these fine restaurants and establishments.

      Interview with Son of Indonesia Veg Society Founder

      Meyrick Sumantri is a son of Mr Bambang Sumantri, the founder and president of the Indonesia Vegetarian Society (IVS), host of the 39th IVU World Vegetarian Congress which takes place this month in Jakarta and Bali . VSS will be participating in the Congress, beginning 1 Oct in Jakarta . Check out the Congress’s impressive new website: http://www.wvc2010.org. And, it’s not too late to register for the Congress, with reasonable airfares and budget accommodation, including free transport to the Congress venue.

      1. Hi, Meyrick. Please tell us a bit about your father and how he became involved with vegetarianism.

      My father has been vegetarian for the past twenty years, and over time, our family has followed. So, everyone in my immediate family is now vegetarian. At first, we were reluctant to change our lifestyles, but through many persistent and logical talks together, we eventually gained an understanding of why our father was vegetarian, and why he suggested us to be as well.

      Today, he still passionately believes in vegetarianism, which is why he continues to vigorously spreading knowledge of the benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle to the Indonesian community.

      Read the entire interview at www.vegsource.com/news/2010/09/vegism-in-
      indonesia---the-worlds-4th-largest-population.html

      TopTop

      Veggie Thursday

      VSS is cooperating with 25 other organisations – including Nature Society ( Singapore ), AWARE, ACRES, Singapore Environment Council and One Singapore – to encourage people to go veg every Thursday or whatever other day of the week suits them. We call this Veggie Thursday (VT), and we hope that it will launch in late October.

      We’ll have much more on VT in future issues, but for now, VT has FB - http://www.facebook.com/veggiethursdaysg - and Twitter - http://twitter.com/VTCSG

      VT flyers and lots of VT related videos at http://www.ecowalkthetalk.com/blog/2010/09/15/veggie
      -thursday-in-singapore

      A video in the last tweet deserves special mention. Hadn't seen before. By famous musician Moby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bU8Gg6mRiU

      You can sign the pledge on Sun, 10 Oct at Bottle Tree Park: http://www.asiaisgreen.com/2010/09/03/balik
      -kampung-bottle-tree-park-on-10-10-10

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      Recently, a few people have written to VSS about delivery of veg food to their home or office. The Food Outlets page of our website -
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/fdl?q=fdl – provides an easy way for people to answer their own question. Under the listings for each of the more than 500 listed outlets is a Delivery category. There, you can find whether an outlet delivers.

      TopTop

      Another 10/10/10 Event

      In 2009, VSS helped organise Singapore events as part of the International Day of Climate Action. This year, people in over 100 countries are staging events on Sun, 10/10/10. VSS is taking part in events at Bottle Tree Park - http://www.asiaisgreen.com/2010/09/03/balik
      -kampung-bottle-tree-park-on-10-10-10
      - and at Kampung Senang - http://www.kg-senang.org.sg – featuring the VSS smoothie workshop.

      Our friends from ACRES – www.acres.org.sg – and the Singapore Environment Council – www.sec.org.sg – will be at yet another 10/10/10 event. The Green Carpet Edition are doing a Charity Concert & Flea Market for the Environment. It will be held at the Rochester Park http://www.one-north.sg/rochester.aspx and hosted by 98.7FM DJs Divian and Venessa Fernardez. 20% proceeds will be going to SEC and ACRES with an ‘Eat for Charity’ drive at the Krish Restaurant & Bar with great food and beer. There will also be a donation drive of $10, and you will get a chance to win an electric bicycle.

      TopTop

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Desmond Koh is an ex-National Swimmer, three-time Olympian and Rhodes Scholar. Des was the main speaker at the launch earlier this year of the print edition of VegVibe magazine. His inspiring speech recounted his move to vegetarianism. For those of you who weren’t at the launch, don’t miss this second chance to be inspired:
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/files/
      desmond-koh-on-going-veg.pdf

      Speaking of inspiration, Des and his wife, Nadya Hutagalung, are among those featured in VSS’ Wall of Inspiration:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/vsspics/WallOfInspiration#

      TopTop

      How I Became a Once a Week Vegan

      One of the best features of the VSS eNewsletter is when people write in with the stories of their dietary journeys. Please send yours to info@... regardless of what type of vegetarian you are, even if it’s once a week.

      In this issue, we feature Delcie Lim’s story. Some of you may know Delcie for her dessert creations, including vegan mooncakes: http://www.delciesdesserts.com

      During the start of this year, my boyfriend was intending to be a partial vegetarian with religion in mind and persuaded me to join him. In the end, we decided on a ‘once a week’ vegetarian diet to help us embark on this new eating journey.

      We began reading up on vegetarianism and realized the multiple health benefits of avoiding meat. I decided to take up this challenge mainly because of health reasons. My mother passed away with stomach cancer last year and I definitely believe it must be food related.

      Since then, I have become a strong advocate of healthy eating. Being a pastry chef, dealing with traditional baking with eggs and dairy, it was a big challenge for myself, as I have to try my own cakes on my vegetarian days. Thus, I made up my mind in February, to change business and my entire line of baked products to vegan with a mission to convince the public that cakes and desserts can be sinlessly good too!

      Although, I am not a full-fledged vegan, I practice vegetarianism more and am only vegan once a week. In my diet, I make healthier choices by eating raw salad or warps with extra vegetables, rather than going to a Chinese vegetarian store which is mainly made up of unhealthy deep fried starch. On other days, when I eat from the Chinese mixed rice stall, I still take meat but always request for at least 2 vegetables dishes. So moderation of meat intake is what I preach. It’s not meatless, it is meat less.

      TopTop

      Free Weight Loss Talk at 7 Sensations

      7 Sensations restaurant is sponsoring a free talk by Dr Koh Lam Son, on Weight Loss, at 2.30 on Sun, 3 Oct. Details: 16 Madras Street, S (208413). Call 6298.8198 or 9023.4409 to book your seats www.7-sensations.com

      TopTop

      Help Needy Kids and Sign Veggie Pledge

      On Children’s Day, 1 Oct, The Brownie Factory - One Raffles Place, B1-01B, OUB Centre S048616, 6835.9579, Mon-Fri: 10.30am-8pm, will be donating the entire day’s sales to the Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund.

      Also, you can stop by The Brownie Factory on any weekday to sign the Veggie Thursday pledge, promising to eat veg every Thu or any other day you choose. That should be an easy pledge to make for most readers of this eNewsletter. :)

      TopTop

      Former US President Clinton Becomes Near Vegan

      Watch video of ex-US president Bill Clinton on CNN describe how the work of Cleveland Clinic surgeon Caldwell Esselstyn Jr. led Clinton to embrace a nearly 100% plant-based lifestyle, losing 24 pounds in the process.

      Clinton also discusses the work of Dr Dean Ornish, and the enormous importance of the book The China Study, by Professor T. Colin Campbell. VSS brought Prof Campbell to SG last year, and Dr Esselstyn has tentatively agreed to come in March 2011.

      Watch the CNN interview with Clinton and follow up interviews with Drs Esselstyn and Ornish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
      UoHt9cSWJVI&feature=player_embedded

      TopTop

      TV Advert Questions Fast Food Meat

      Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine – www.pcrm.org - conducts research and public education related to the links between health and consumption of animal foods. Recently, they put together an incisive television advert that should cause many people to question whether meat burgers are the right choice.
      http://www.pcrm.org/news/commercial_targets
      _mcdonalds_high-fat_fare_100914.html

      If you know of other adverts or short videos to share, please let us know.

      TopTop

      More From ‘Men’s Journal’

      Our last issue gave you a link for an article in Men’s Journal on going vegan: http://www.mensjournal.com/vegan In its Oct 2010 issue, the same magazine features a story titled, ‘The Rise of the Power Vegan’. We can’t yet read the entire article online, but you can find a long summary if you go to http://www.mensjournal.com/in-the-october-2010
      -issue-michael-douglas
      and scroll down past the Michael Douglas article summary. The article’s title appears on the issue’s cover atop the magazine’s name.

      TopTop

      Fasting and Veg

      The Ananda Marga Yoga Society are organising a Yoga Fasting Camp, 8-10 Oct at Ubin Lodge at Palau Ubin. Apart from the fast (and nice vegetarian meals before and after the fast), there is also a full program, including yoga lessons, classes and workshops on fasting and breaking fast correctly, dry brushing, natural facial scrub and detox. Price: $200 with bed, $150 without. Call 6280.0653 to register.

      TopTop

      Sustainable Fun Day at Green Circle Eco-Farm

      Green Circle Eco-Farm - http://www.greencircle.com.sg - is one of SG’s best known organic farms and a farm which from the beginning has had a strong education component. Here’s their latest programme.

      Date: Sun, 3 Oct, 8am-5pm
      Price: $60 per adult participant, $35 per child. $50 for 2 children.
      Brief: Come and revel with Nature. Join us to nourish yourself with wholesome, partly self -prepared food, touch Mother Earth with light farming work and develop camaraderie with humans, plants, 'birds and bees'.

      Facilitators:

      Evelyn Eng-Lim is a qualified chemist and teacher, nature conservationist and currently organic farmer. Together with Tian Soo, her husband, they created Green Circle Eco-Farm.

      Andrew Tay is a nature education consultant, nature conservationist and passionate gardener.

      Location 41 Neo Tiew Road . S. 719028
      Tel: 6861.9286

      TopTop

      CC Classes by Adeline Lo

      Adeline Lo - adeline2611@... - has done VSS food preparation classes on soy yogurt creations and on enzyme making. Here’s the schedule for similar classes that she’s doing at CCs.

      Punggol 21

      Sat, 2 Oct, 6.30-8.30pm, Brown rice benefit
      Sat, 20 Nov, 6.30-8.30pm, Vegan yogurt
      Sat, 18 Dec, 6.30-8.30, Coral seaweed jelly

      Jalan Besar
      Sun, 17 Oct, Time: 3-5:30pm, Vegan yogurt

      Teck Ghee
      Sun, 5 Dec, Time: 3-5pm, Coral seaweed jelly

      Click here to register:

      TopTop

      And, CC Classes by Chef Oh

      Chef Oh Chong Fah (pictured on the right) has been doing veg cook classes and demos in person and on tv for many years.

      Now he’s doing a variety of classes at CCs. Below is a list of classes. Click this url to see dates and locations: http://www.wholesomeliving-sg.com/
      PAworkshopSepDec.htm

      1. Raw Supercharged Energy - Salad Dressings Making*
      2. Raw Supercharged Energy - Fermented Vegetables and Fruits*
      3. Wholesome Bakery Without Oven
      4. Traditional Chinese Bread in Vegan Style
      5. Homemade Wines and Root Beer Making
      6. Homemade Sake and Amazake Making
      7. Wholesome Breakfast Homemade Spread
      8. Mighty Cereal Grains*

      *My most important workshops for health seekers.

      Sponsored by Unicurd Food Company

      1. Rise and Shine to Tofu
      2. BBQ Tofu

      Please register with respective PA Community Clubs soon to avoid disappointment.

      TopTop

      More Maggie Q

      The VSS homepage – www.vss.sg – features two famous faces: Einstein and Maggie Q. While Einstein lives on in his ideas, both about physics and about humanity, Maggie Q is very much alive and kicking. In fact, kicking is one of the main thing she does in her new tv show, Nikita: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2010/09/nikita-review-kill-jill

      By the way, Maggie Q is one of the producers of the powerful documentary, Earthlings, featured in the next article in our newsletter.

      TopTop

      ‘Earthlings’ Day – 5 Dec

      ‘Earthlings’ is a powerful documentary describing the many ways that we humans are sometimes less than kind to our fellow earthlings, the other animals. Of course, meat is a big part of that.

      To promote the film, Sun, 5 Dec, will be Earthlings Day. People are encouraged to set up showings anywhere they can to whomever they can, even if it’s just showing the film to someone on a laptop. BTW, you can download the film for free at
      http://www.earthlings.com/earthlings/video-full.php

      Also, you can publish your events of whatever size on the Earthlings’ Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=356848605446

      Here’s what a meat eating Singapore graduate student wrote about how the documentary has raised the paradox in his mind about enjoying meat but hating the effects of meat eating (he is urging his fellow students to do a project that would encourage meat reduction):

      I must say that I am pretty fired up about this project because it harps on my personal interest. I am sharing a link with you guys on a vid called "Earthlings". Some of you may have heard of it as it has been around for sometime. Pretty much sums up most of the conventional arguments against eating meat the way we do.

      At this point I would like to say that, I love meat, however I abhor the way animals are treated and thus I believe that Veggie Thursday is a terrific platform to spread this sort of awareness.

      TopTop

      Health Talk, by Cancer Centre Director, Cum Dinner