VSS eNewsletter 30 July 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29 7:54 AM

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      The Power of Enzymes

      6000 and Counting

      Getting Ready for a Weekly Plant Based Food Day

      The VSS InBox

      Slowly but Surely, GIRO Numbers Escalate

      Are You a Positive or a Negative Vegetarian?

      GENERAL NEWS

      8 Weeks to Wellness Program

      The Complexity of the Environment Issue

      ‘Food, Inc’ Now on DVD

      Meat Links to Weight Gain Regardless of Calories

      Not in SG Yet – Veg Job Boards

      Interview with Paul McCartney of MeatFree Mondays

      August Classes from Organic Nutrihub

      Interview with Raw Food Guru

      Veg Traveller Tales

      Paul McCartney talks about MeatFree Monday. In Singapore , VSS and other environment groups are working on launching our own Plant Based Day.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      The Power of Enzymes

      Here’s the latest in VSS’s exciting list of food classes, with special discounts for members

      Date & Time: Sun, 8 Aug, 2-5pm
      Venue: Jalan Binchang (exact location provided upon registration)
      Fee: $40 (VSS members); $50 (non-members)
      Limit: 20 persons

      We've all heard of the importance of enzymes - they are vital for metabolism and digestion. Enzymes boost our body's ability to utilize and absorb nutrients, while delivering oxygen throughout the system.

      Let holistic health advocate, Adeline Lo, show you how to revitalize your cells and boost your immunity with these enzyme-rich creations.

      To register and for more info:
      www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/1364

      TopTop

      6000 and Counting

      Last Sunday, VSS participated in two events, the Onam Festival of the Singapore Malayalee Association and the Library talk by VSS Exco member Douglas Teo. At those two events about 40 people signed up for the free VSS eNewsletter (what you’re reading now).

      That puts us over 6000 email addresses on our e-mailing list. Of course, at least 1000 of those addresses probably either don’t work or aren’t checked any more. Still, it shows that a lot of people are interested in veg related news. If you know anyone else who might be interested but isn’t yet subscribed or if you are planning to switch to a new email address, please go to
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/700

      TopTop

      Getting Ready for a Weekly Plant Based Food Day

      Stay tuned for developments on this, as VSS is attending a meeting of fellow environment groups this weekend to discuss launching a plant based food day later this year. If you know schools or organisations that might like to participate, please ask them to contact info@...

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      A reader submitted this url titled ‘Macho Men Who Don’t Eat Meat’ with photos of U.S. celebrities:
      www.treehugger.com/galleries/2009/01/
      vegetarians-we-love.php

      VSS has its local co-ed version of fine folks who urge us to reduce meat. We call it our Wall of Inspiration, and it’s now a series of 16 posters that comprise part of our standard exhibition materials. You can also view it online
      picasaweb.google.com/vsspics/WallOfInspiration#

      TopTop

      Slowly but Surely, GIRO Numbers Escalate

      Just last weekend, VSS distributed at no charge more than 1000 pieces of our various flyers, brochures and VCDs. Obviously, it costs money to do the printing, even if the people doing most of the work and all of the distribution are volunteering their time. This weekend, we’re hosting a meeting of green groups which we hope will lead to a weekly Meat Less Day in SG. That’s going to cost a lot.

      Thus, a big thanks to everyone who signed up for the VSS GIRO scheme in response to the appeal in the last issue.

      Sorry to bother you again, but it would be great if you would escalate yourself or someone you know to Premier Member status in VSS. For as little as $5 a month to the VSS Seeds of Hope giro scheme would entitle you to Premium Member benefits including $100 worth of Food Vouchers:
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/seeds-of-hope

      TopTop

      Are You a Positive or a Negative Vegetarian?

      This opinion piece by John Davis, Manager of the International Vegetarian Union, of which VSS is a member, discusses how vegetarians define themselves. John argues that instead of defining ourselves by what we don’t – we don’t eat meat – we should define ourselves by what we do – we eat plant based foods.
      http://www.vegsource.com/john-davis/are-
      you-a-positive-or-a-negative-vegn.html

      An interesting comment on John’s piece came from Steve Billig, Director of the Vegetarian Nutrition Center of Colorado, USA. Here it is in slightly edited form (You can read Steve’s entire comment by scrolling below what John wrote.).

      Some people believe that vegetarians are defined by what they shun - meat”? It seems pretty obvious that vegetarians are defined by what they do eat - a plant-centered diet. It is true that many people do not adopt a vegetarian or vegan diet because both are perceived as diets of rejection and denial. Who wants to live a life of denial, especially regarding something as rewarding as eating delicious food? Not many people, including vegetarians. The reason so many people, about 6 percent of people in the U.S., can sustain as longtime vegetarians is not because they are disciplined and willing to suffer for the animals, for the environment or for good health. They endure as vegetarians because, in addition to benefitting the animals, the environment and their own health, they understand that a plant-centered diet is a diet of abundance, of variety and of deliciousness.

      TopTop

      8 Weeks to Wellness Program

      This is a 2-hour weekly lifestyle program running for 8 consecutive Sundays from 12 Sep to 31 Oct. Each session includes a power-point presentation by qualified medical or health professionals, workbook activity, cooking demonstration and wholesome vegetarian lunch. For more details, please go to the link for the brochure.

      Place: Balestier Rd SDA Church (social hall), 120 Balestier Road, S. 329680
      Info: call Eunice @ 6299.4571 (M-F 8:30am-12:30 pm) or e-mail eunicegeronimo@...

      TopTop

      The Complexity of the Environment Issue

      Whether we like it or not, all the reasons we have for eating less or no meat are complex issues. Recently, New Scientist magazine had an article entitled, ‘Why eating green won’t save the planet’: http://www.newscientist.com/article/
      mg20727691.200-veggieworld-why-eating-
      greens-wont-save-the-planet.html?full=true

      Worth reading, and in the end, the article says a great deal in support of eating less meat. Read a response at
      http://www.veganorganic.net/media-releases/
      press-release-new-scientist-articl
      e-provokes-massive-response

      TopTop

      ‘Food, Inc’ Now on DVD

      Last year, the documentary ‘Food, Inc’ briefly showed in SG. It does some truth telling about modern meat production. Last week, a reader wrote to tell us that the film is now available on DVD
      http://www.foodincmovie.com

      Also, someone who already has the DVD forwarded an email from a friend to whom he had shown the film. The experience made her deeply question her eating habits. Maybe you can help someone have that same experience.

      TopTop

      Meat Links to Weight Gain Regardless of Calories

      Here’s an impressive study with 370,000 participants that controlled for many variables and found that meat consumption correlates with adult weight gain. More evidence to show people who are still talking about the Atkins Diet.
      http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/07/meat-eaters
      -pack-on-more-pounds-regardless-of-calories.html

      TopTop

      Not in SG Yet – Veg Job Boards

      Another sign that veg is becoming slightly more mainstream is that near the end of 2009, job seeking vegan and vegetarian individuals were given a Vegan Jobs Board by marketing company Vegan Mainstream – and six months later the job selection is growing and more successful than ever.
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/
      20100720/bs_prweb/prweb4278914_1

      TopTop

      Interview with Paul McCartney of MeatFree Mondays

      Paul McCartney is famous for many things, including being a long-term advocate of veg. Recently, he helped found the MeatFree Mondays campaign:
      http://www.supportmfm.org

      Oh yes, he was also one of the Beatles. In a recent interview all about veg, Sir Paul talks about how MeatFree Monday is growing, about his favourite foods and about how he approaches meat eaters:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/
      jul/18/paul-mccartney-vegetarianism

      TopTop

      August Classes from Organic Nutrihub

      The new line-up of classes at Organic NutriHub, near Cuppage Plaza - http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/733 – includes a variety of learning opportunities (VSS members enjoy discounts).

      1. Fri, 6 Aug, 7-9pm
      Raw Like Cooked – Series III 2. Wed, 11 Aug, 7-9pm
      Harmonising Your Body Energy I

      3. Sat, 14 Aug, 2-4pm
      Nutrimeal Cooking – Series I

      4. Sat, 21 Aug, 2-4pm
      Raw Like Cooked – Series I

      5. Sat, 28 Aug, 2-4pm
      Nutrimeal Cooking – Series III

      For Registration / Enquiry, please contact or SMS to Ms Vinitha Ang at 9236.8402.

      TopTop

      Interview with Raw Food Guru

      Cherie Soria is the founder and director of Living Light Culinary Arts Institute and author of such publications as The Raw Revolution Diet, with Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. The good news is that Cherie had agreed to speak in Singapore as part of her visit to SE Asia for the World Vegetarian Congress - www.wvc2010.org - in Oct. The bad news is that she had to cancel her entire visit due to a critical illness in her family.

      At least we have this interview that was done ahead of her SE Asia visit:
      http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/07/
      raw-food-chef-cherie-soria-at-ivu-congress
      -interview-plus-recipe.html

      And, Cherie does hope to visit SG next year.

      TopTop

      Veg Traveller Tales

      This article from the May 2010 issue of Business Traveller Asia-Pacific gives advice on how to find veg food while travelling. It also praises SG veg food generally and specifically praises such eateries as Annalakshmi, Genesis and Lingzhi. Plus, there’s a brief interview with a VSS member, as well as the author’s reasons for doing at least one veg day a week.
      http://asia.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/
      archive/2010/may-2010/lifestyle/going-vegetarian

      TopTop

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

      Click here for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries,

      or email us at makan@... to notify us of new places.

      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues.
      That's how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!

      Back issues are available here.

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by the Vegetarian Society ( Singapore ).