VSS eNewsletter 10 June 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2010

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      Veg Diet According to Your Body Type – 27 Jun

      Newest Feature of Our Exhibition – Wall of Inspiration

      Anyone Can Cook Vegetarian! -
      Japanese with Catherina - Sat 19 Jun

      Eco Harmony Bazaar

      Student Memberships

      Veg Food Fair Receives Top Marks

      VSS Interviewed for Rameshon’s Blog

      Visitors to the IVU Website

      The VSS InBox – One Soy Milk Not Veg

      GENERAL NEWS

      One More Time: Meat → Climate Change

      Eating Meditation

      Weekly Meatless Days Gain Popularity

      Doubt and Knowing What To Believe

      New from NutriHub

      A Cow Story with Something of a Happy Ending

      Excerpt #2 from The Pig Who Sang to the Moon

      Mandarin Language Veg Cooking Classes – Jul/Aug

      More from Chef Oh

      Circuit Road Hawker Centre Reopens

      PETA Asia Launches New Blog

      Can Veg Food Reduce Menstrual Pain

      Vegan Bake Sale Raises Funds for Haiti

      Do non-human animals have emotions? This issue features a true story about a dairy cow and her baby calf.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      Veg Diet According to Your Body Type – 27 Jun

      On Sun, 27 Jun, 3pm, VSS Exco member and TCM physician, Douglas Teo, will give a talk in Mandarin: Vegetarian Diet according to Your Body Type.

      The talk is free and will be held at the Meeting Room of Bukit Merah Public Library. Reservations are not available. Thus, seating is on a first come, first served basis:
      http://golibrary.nlb.gov.sg/Event.aspx?EventID=32612

      The TCM holistic view on relationship between humans and their environment. They will get to know about their body type and what to eat according to their body type, based on a meatless diet.

      TopTop

      Newest Feature of Our Exhibition – Wall of Inspiration

      The VSS exhibition materials consist of informative and inspiring panels, statues, flyers and videos. We’ve just added a new feature, which we call the Wall of Inspiration:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/vsspics/WallOfInspiration# It is composed of 16 photos of Singapore people from many walks of life. Each photo is accompanied by a quote advocating that we eat more plant food and less meat.

      Have a look, please. Click on each photo to enlarge it. And, if you know of a place, such as a school, that would like us to set up the exhibition, please contact info@...

      TopTop

      Anyone Can Cook Vegetarian! Japanese with Catherina

      Catherina Hosoi is a well-known personality in the local culinary scene, having hosted the longest running radio cooking program as well as a three year TV cooking program.

      This time, Catherina will be demonstrating how to make a variety of Japanese dishes.

      Date: Sat, 19 Jun, 2-4pm
      Venue: Spottiswoode Park (exact location upon registration)
      Fee: $40 (VSS members), $50 (non members)
      Limited to 20 persons

      More details and sign up here.

      TopTop

      Eco Harmony Bazaar

      On Sat, 10 Jul, 10am-7pm, our friends at Kampung Senang - http://www.kg-senang.org.sg – are holding an Eco Harmony Bazaar featuring:

      Healthy vegetarian meals & organic foods
      Energy healing
      Natural therapies services
      Baby yoga
      Healing exercise & energy healing
      Plus, VSS will be selling our Meal-in-a-Glass Smoothie.

      Location: Blk 106 Aljunied Crescent #01-205 (near Aljunied MRT)
      Tel: 6749.8509

      TopTop

      Student Memberships

      Earlier this year, VSS unveiled a student membership scheme that offers free membership to all full-time students 23 years old and below. Student members enjoy food vouchers and discounts at participating restaurants, plus discounts at VSS events, not to mention other benefits in the pipeline.

      Furthermore, VSS has a number of services to offer to schools and tertiary institutions. These services include talks, exhibitions, videos, smoothie workshops and demonstrations, and help with projects and other school work.

      With the June holidays here, why not explore student membership for yourself, friends and/or family members? You can sign up online at http://www.coolerplanet.sg

      TopTop

      Veg Food Fair Receives Top Marks

      Last month, VSS participated in a very successful veg food fair at Chong Pang CC in Yishun. Highlights of the event included the healthy/tasty food, such as brown rice, organic veggies, popiah and other wraps, salads, vegan brownies and cakes, and last but not least a booth where VSS sold our increasingly famous smoothie.

      The event was also noteworthy for all the singing and dancing performances, including a dance involving the audience, a particularly lively MC and talks, including a health talk in Mandarin and a smoothie demo by VSS. However, what many people will remember most was the appearance the vegetarian super-centenarian, Teresa Hsu.

      When asked what she wanted most for her birthday, in a loud voice, Teresa emphatically replied, “Ice cream”. So, VSS sprung into action, concocting a form of ice cream from soy milk, banana, mango and lots of ice, plus dates for sweetness.

      TopTop

      VSS Interviewed for Rameshon’s Blog

      M. Rameshon is a vegetarian and the Singapore national record holder in the marathon, a distinction he has held for about 15 years. Now in his mid-40s, Rameshon is still running and teaching others how to run to boost their physical and mental health.

      To promote running and vegetarianism, Rameshon recently started a blog. The June issue features an interview with a VSS Exco member:
      http://rameshon-m.blogspot.com Look for more interviews with vegetarians in future issues of the blog.

      TopTop

      Singapore #9 in Visits to International Veg Website

      According to data from the website of the International Vegetarian Union – www.ivu.org - people here are interested not just in local veg happenings but also in what’s happening internationally.

      1 London
      2 Los Angeles
      3 New York
      4 Sydney
      5 Melbourne
      6 Buenos Aires
      7 Madrid
      8 Brisbane
      9 Singapore

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox – One Soy Milk Not Veg

      We received an email from a member who had taken it upon himself to investigate whether a particular soy milk contains animal-derived ingredients. The news isn’t good.

      Here’s the email he received from a Marigold representative:

      I'm Angela, brand manager for MARIGOLD Fresh Soya Milk. Thank you for your interest in MARIGOLD Fresh Soya Milk.

      MARIGOLD Fresh Soya Milk is a soya milk fortified with Vitamins K, D and 5 Vitamin Bs to increase the nutritional value of our soymilk. Vitamin D is an important vitamin which aids our body in calcium absorption and is commonly added into milk/soymilk. This Vitamin D however, is derived from sheep's wool and is the only ingredient of animal origin in our soymilk.

      I'm sorry that you had consumed our product unknowingly and I hope the above clarifies your query. Please feel free to contact me at my contact points below should you have any further queries.

      Best regards,
      Angela Lim
      Malaysia Dairy Industries
      2 Davidson Road
      Singapore 369941

      TopTop

      One More Time: Meat → Climate Change

      Here, from The Daily Telegraph, is more evidence of meat’s role in worsening climate change.

      Eat Less Meat to Save the Planet – UN

      The world needs to change to a more vegetarian diet to stand a chance of tackling climate change, according to a major new United Nations report.

      By Louise Gray, Environment Correspondent
      The Daily Telegraph (UK) Online

      The group of international scientists said the greatest cause of greenhouse gas emissions is food production and the use of fossil fuels.

      But while the use of coal and oil could be gradually replaced by renewable energy sources like wind and solar, the world will always need to eat.

      As the world population increases it is feared that the production of food will become the main cause of climate change and environmental degradation.

      The International Panel of Sustainable Resource Management pointed out that agricultural production accounts for 70 per cent of global freshwater production, 38 per cent of land use and 19 per cent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.

      The report, that will be presented to world governments, said the only way to feed the world while reducing climate change is to switch to more a more vegetarian diet.

      full story:
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/
      7797594/Eat-less-meat-to-save-the-planet-UN.html

      TopTop

      Eating Meditation

      This secular article urges us to think about our food, as we slowly eat it
      http://markbittman.com/an-eating-meditation-literally Of course, one thing to think about is where our food comes from. On that count, eating meatless may lead to happier thoughts and happier eating.

      TopTop

      Weekly Meatless Days Gain Popularity

      This article describes how more and more meat eaters are trying to do meatless at least once a week, and what the meat industry is doing to nip this healthy trend in the bud:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/
      article/2010/05/18/AR2010051800891.html

      For what VSS is doing to promote meat reduction, see our downloadable flyer ‘Meat Less in Singapore’:
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/1316

      TopTop

      Doubt and Knowing What To Believe

      Whether it’s the benefits of eating more fruits and vegetables, the dangers of global warming or almost any issue, all sides can find scientists and studies that supposedly support their view. Remember how the tobacco industry would claim that no proof existed that cigarettes were harmful? The defenses of the meat industry, mentioned in the article above, are another good example.

      Here’s an article from New Scientist which examines the phenomenon of casting doubt:
      http://www.newscientist.com/
      article/mg20627606.200-living-in-denial-how
      -corporations-manufacture-doubt.html

      And another on uncertainty in science:
      http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and
      _impacts/science/certainty-vs-uncertainty.html

      TopTop

      New from NutriHub

      The new line-up of classes at Organic NutriHub, near Cuppage Plaza -
      http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/733 – includes a variety of learning opportunities (VSS members enjoy discounts).

      New dishes at NutriHub include raw Asian Pizza Delight with cashew nut cheese topping. Also, NutriHub is participating in the NFC (National Family Celebration) from 27 May to 26 Jun thru Health Promotion Board. Customers enjoy 10% off Healthier Choice dishes on the Cafe Menu when they present the NFC cut-out coupon or show the NFC logo. Plus, you can now use your PAssioncard for discounts at NutriHub.

      For more info: www.nutrihub.blogspot.com or Ms Vinitha Ang at 9236.8402

      TopTop

      A Cow Story with Something of a Happy Ending

      This is the story of Mario, a calf born on a dairy farm. On the day of his birth, he was taken away from his mother. She cried and searched anxiously for days after losing him. She had carried him for nine months, but was only allow to be with him for a brief moment.

      As Mario was a male calf born to a dairy cow, he was never to see his mother again. The day after he was born, with his umbilical cord was still attached to his soft baby belly, Mario ended up at a livestock auction to be sold for veal.

      See how the story ends at
      http://www.straight.com/article-323104/
      vancouver/joanne-chang-mothers-day-story
      -about-milk-cows-and-veal-calves

      TopTop

      Excerpt #2 from The Pig Who Sang to the Moon

      Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson has used his professional knowledge of psychology to write several excellent books that provide insight into the thinking and emotions of non-human animals. The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals (2003) is one of those books. Over the next issues, we’ll be running excerpts from that book. Here is the second.

      p. 27 Joanne Altsmann was in her kitchen one afternoon, feeling unwell, when Lulu [a 200-pound pig, living with Joanne] charged out of a doggie door made for a 20-poind dog, scraping her sides raw to the point of drawing blood. Running into the street, Lulu proceeded to draw attention by lying down in the middle of the road until a car stopped. Then she led the driver to her owner’s house, where Altsmann had suffered a heart attack. Altsmann was rushed to the hospital, and the ASPCA (- www.aspca.org - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) awarded Lulu a gold medal for her heroism.”

      TopTop

      Mandarin Language Veg Cooking Classes – Jul/Aug

      Bliss and Wisdom Society will be conducting a series of vegetarian "Healthy Lifestyle Classes cum Cooking" from Jul to Aug to be conducted in Mandarin.

      Dates:4/7, 11/7, 18/7, 1/8, 8/8 & 15/8/10 (Sun)
      (First 3 Sundays of Jul and Aug)
      Time: 4pm-5.30pm
      Place: 599 Geylang Road, #02-00
      (Yes Natural, 2nd storey)
      Fee: FOC. Required deposit of $20, refundable if you attend at least 4 lessons
      Enquiries: Ms Iris Sia Xiu Hua or Koh Lee Yong at 6547.1580.
      Contents: Ecofriendly diet and lifestyle, healthy vegan diet cooking, etc.

      TopTop

      More from Chef Oh

      Here’s the new line-up of classes from Chef Oh Chong Fah.

      1. Making Red Wines, Fruit Wines, Fruit Enzyme Drinks and Root Beer, 12 Jun, Sat 10am -1pm
      2. Organic Vegan Cakes Making 1 - Apple Pie, Strawberry Tart and Date Soy Cake, 13 Jun, Sun 3-6pm
      3. Organic Vegan Cakes Making 2 - Nutty Fruity Brownies, Carrot Cake and Cream Topping, 20 Jun, Sun 3-6pm
      4. Organic Candies Making 1 - Fruit Caramel, Herbal Candy, Plum Candy, Cashew & Cranberry Candy & Pumpkin & Sunflower Seed Candy, 19 Jun, Sat 10am-1pm
      5. Organic Candies Making 1 - Fruit Caramel, Herbal Candy, Plum Candy, Cashew & Cransberry Candy & Pumpkin & Sunflower Seed Candy, 27 Jun, Sun 3-6pm
      6. Homemade Rice Wine (Japanese Sake) & Amazake, 26 Jun, Sat 10am-1pm
      7. Healthy Quick Bread & Traditional Muffins, 26 Jun, Sat 3-6pm

      Register early to enjoy discount!
      For details, including locations, please visit http://wholesomeliving-sg.com/schedules.html

      And, Chef Oh is also doing classes for Kampung Senang - http://www.kg-senang.org.sg – at their Holistic Lifestyle Centre

      1. Post Natal Care Diet 1 - Cooking with Rice Wine 13 Jun, 10am-1pm
      2. Making Red Wines, Fruit Enzymes Drinks and Root Beer, 20 Jun, 10am-1pm
      3. Raw Energy-Making Healthy Salad Dressings, 27 Jun, 10am-1pm

      To sign up: 6749.8509, admin@...

      TopTop

      Circuit Road Hawker Centre Reopens