VSS eNewsletter 17 May 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2010

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      Gratitude to Earth and Earthlings Exhibition – 27, 28 May

      Veg Food Fair in Yishun – 30 May

      The VSS Inbox

      Forum Page Letter on Global Warming

      GENERAL NEWS

      Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale

      Local Organic Education Tour – 5 June

      Historical Notes on Veg Musicians

      Travelling to Cambodia?

      Eating Fruits and Vegetables for Weight Management

      Zen Veg Cooking Classes

      Climate Change Conference – 5 June

      Biodiversity and True Love

      Survey of Singapore Eating Habits

      Four New Classes from Chef Oh

      A host of notable personalities are vegetarian - our Vesak Day exhibition will feature many local ones. Here's an article on veg musicians.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      Gratitude to Earth and Earthlings Exhibition – 27, 28 May

      VSS is often invited by religious groups of many types to add a secular vegetarian perspective to their events. For many years, we have done this at the Vesak Day celebrations at Bright Hill Temple - http://www.kmspks.org/kmspks/index.htm - in Bishan - http://www.kmspks.org/kmspks/getthere.htm

      This year, our exhibition is titled ‘Gratitude to Earth and Earthlings’, with the slogan ‘The kindest food for us is also the kindest for the planet’.

      Time: Thu, 27 May, 4pm to Fri, 28 May, 5pm
      Place: Buddha Pagoda, Floor 2
      Smoothie Workshop: Buddha Pagoda, Floor 3, 3-5pm, Fri, 28 May; register for workshop at sem@...

      TopTop

      Veg Food Fair in Yishun – 30 May

      VSS will be taking part in a veg food fair in Yishun. In addition to a wide variety of veg food, the event features games for children, sale of apparel, singing and dancing performances, talks, a smoothie demo and medical checkups: http://xingguang.sg/bazaar-2010

      Perhaps the highlight will be a chance to sing Happy Birthday to Teresa Hsu who is celebrating her 112th birthday and 112th year as a vegetarian.

      Place: Chong Pang CC in Yishun
      Date: Sun, 30 May
      Time: 9.30am-3.30pm
      Contact: David, 9117.9617

      TopTop

      The VSS InBox

      We received an email recently asking about a VSS office. VSS decided many years back that for the time being, in order to save money and to save the time of staff and volunteers, we will not have an office.

      Nonetheless, we are easy to contact at info@... and people can meet VSS members at the many events we hold and participate in.

      TopTop

      Forum Page Letter on Global Warming

      VSS sent the following letter to Today newspaper, but it wasn’t published. If many of us write in, perhaps some of our letters will be published.

      I refer to “Climate change and the stumbling block of domestic politics” (May 3).

      Yes, the possible effects of global warming are catastrophic, and yes, governments, companies, NGOs and individuals should all do what we can on our own and to influence others to prevent this approaching catastrophe.

      The UN’s Food & Agricultural Organisation estimates that livestock production accounts for 18% of our greenhouse gas emissions. Thus, eating more plant foods is one more step to take against global warming.

      Fortunately, reducing meat consumption needn’t harm the economy, as people will be eating as much, just eating different foods. Cities such as Sao Paolo , Brazil and San Francisco , USA are urging citizen to do their bit for the planet by going meatless once a week. Surely, that’s not too difficult. In fact, it could even prove to be a tasty, healthy change of pace.

      TopTop

      Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale

      In April and May, across the world, people are holding vegan bake sales: http://www.veganbakesale.org

      In 2009, the first year of the event, a hundred groups participated and raised over US$25,000 for a variety of causes. The Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale was named the 2009 "Veg Event of the Year" by VegNews Magazine.

      In Singapore, we can be part of this worldwide happening at two places:

      1. At The Brownie Factory, 1 Raffles Place, B1-01B OUB Centre, Mon-Wed, 25-27 May (10.30 am to 8.30 pm), proceeds from the sale of their vegan brownie and vegan cakes, such as other Vegan cakes will be created for the event - carrot & beetroot cake, orange & cocoa cake, peach & orange cake, will go to charity.

      2. At the Vegetarian Food Fair at Chong Pang CC in Yishun, Sun, 30 May, 9.30am-3.30pm. Contact: David, 9117.9617

      One problem that vegan bakers have is how to replace eggs in their recipes. A reader sent the following info.

      Fortunately, egg replacer can now be found in many larger/better-stocked grocers, in those Guardians with health food section and in some health food stores. Other egg replacers are ripe bananas, ground flax seeds, etc., depending on the outcomes you want. Here's a detailed video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGgGdZiiPio

      TopTop

      Local Organic Education Tour – 5 June

      To celebrate World Environment Day, Organic Living Meetup will be conducting a 1-Day Local Organic Education Tour on Sat, 5 Jun. Details at
      http://www.meetup.com/Organic-Living/
      calendar/13330460

      TopTop

      Historical Notes on Veg Musicians

      Many prominent musicians have been vegetarian. Here’s a brief article on that topic by John Davis, historian of the International Vegetarian Union.

      http://www.vegsource.com/john-davis/
      east-meets-west-and-west-eats-meat---
      vegism-and-music.html
      The article is meant as a historical perspective and does not include musicians currently topping the charts.

      TopTop

      Travelling to Cambodia ?

      Siem Reap, the town near Angkor Wat, has the Peace Café - http://www.peacecafeangkor.org - which caters for vegetarians. Here’s an excerpt from a letter by one of the people who runs the place:

      Some of the orphanages are now looking into providing more vegetarian food. The awareness of the need to change to a plant based diet to address global warming is helping to persuade them to move in this direction. At least one 13 year old orphan is trying to maintain a vegetarian diet. With 67 children to feed, the individual attention required for this is a challenge for the organization trying to keep to a tight budget.

      Time will tell if Cambodia is ready for Vegetarianism . meanwhile the support of travelers visiting Angkor Wat will hopefully keep the Peace Café afloat. There are vegetarian cooking classes, monk chats, yoga and pilates classes, meditation, child friendly gardens and trainings in positive thinking, values education, a bakery, Fairtrade shop, permaculture, and much more. Vegans are catered for but we have not gone that far ... yet!

      TopTop

      Eating Fruits and Vegetables for Weight Management

      This U.S. government webpage recommends substituting plant foods for animal based foods in order to maintain a healthy weight. Lots of good suggestions, including eating foods in their natural state:
      http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/
      healthy_eating/fruits_vegetables.html

      TopTop

      Zen Veg Cooking Classes

      Chef Danny Chu of Enso Kitchen - http://www.ensokitchen.com/event.htm - will be doing two cooking classes monthly at Onaka Healing Kitchen Studio - http://www.onakagroup.com. This month, the classes are Fri, 21 May, 7pm and Sat, 22 May, 10am.

      The two hands-on classes are the same. Venue: Onaka Healing Kitchen Studio, 8A Biomedical Grove #01-17/18, Immunos @ The Biopolis. Registration required
      e: info@...; T: 6464.2007

      TopTop

      Climate Change Conference – 5 June

      Since last year’s Copenhagen conference on climate change, we have not heard much about global warming. Nevertheless, the situation continues to worsen as too many individuals, institutions, companies and government continue to do little or nothing. Hear an array of international and local speakers, live and on video, discuss what we must do, including reducing meat consumption. Among the speakers is Dr Art-Ong Jumsai, a former NASA scientist, who currently heads a school in Thailand , where the students do some remarkable pro-environment activities.

      Date/Time: 5 Jun, 2-6pm
      Venue: Singapore Post Centre, 5th storey Theatrette (next to Paya Lebar MRT)
      Info & registration: www.earth-sos.com/singapore

      Admission is free. Refreshment and snacks provided during breaks and enjoy a free buffet dinner after the conference.

      TopTop

      Biodiversity and True Love

      Our friends at Nature Society ( Singapore ) publish a beautiful magazine, Nature Watch, with incredible photos of animals in Spore and elsewhere. The Jan-Mar 2010 issue also provides some beautiful words about nature in the form of a ‘poem’, excerpted here with permission, by Dr Leong Tzi Ming of NParks. It reminds us to do what we can, via diet and other means, to enjoy and safeguard nature.

      Biodiversity and True Love …

      1. come in all shapes, sizes, textures, colours and may be expressed in numerous ways.
      2. often brings a smile to your face and brings back fond memories.
      3. improve with repeated contacts, and absence can make the heart grow fonder.
      4. can overwhelm you at times with its abundance.
      5. are to be enjoyed, shared and treasured.
      6. require time and effort to get to know better.
      7. need sufficient space to grow.
      8. should never be measured in dollars and cents.
      9. can suffer from ignorance and neglect.
      10. should always be there, for future generations to enjoy, as much as you have.

      TopTop

      Survey of Singapore Eating Habits

      VegVibe magazine - http://www.vegvibe.com - is conducting an online survey about people’s eating habits. It shouldn’t take more than a minute to complete the survey. Please have a look:
      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/85L9QRL

      TopTop

      Four New Classes from Chef Oh

      Chef Oh Chong Fah is offering another round of his popular veg cooking classes.

      1. Homemade Rice and Amazake – Sun, 23 May, 10am-1pm
      2. Healthy Quick Breads and Traditional Muffins – Sat, 29 May, 10am-1pm
      3. Homemade Fruit Wines, Enzyme Drinks and Root Beer – Sun, 30 May, 10am-1pm
      4. Wholesome Bakery (with and without oven) – Sun, 6 Jun, 10am-1:30pm

      For details:
      http://wholesomeliving-sg.com/schedules.html

      TopTop

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

      Click here for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries,

      or email us at makan@... to notify us of new places.

      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues.
      That's how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!

      Back issues are available here.

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by the Vegetarian Society ( Singapore ).