VSS eNewsletter 3 March 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2010

      Editor's Note

      VSS NEWS

      Anyone Can Make Yummy Vegan Yogurt! – 6 March
      Talking to Animals – 9 March
      2010 Library Talks Begin 3 April
      Reminder: VSS AGM – 20 Mar (Sat)
      Our Executive Director of Education in Mind Your Body
      The VSS InBox

      Vegan Snowboarding Olympic Medallist
      Helps African Village

      Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?
      Meet an Animal Communicator
      Report from JB
      Organic Living – Talk and Meetup Group
      Tea Reception on Preventing and Overcoming Cancer
      Post Museum’s Monday Soup Kitchens
      Phone Apps
      8 Reasons to Go Meatless at Least Once a Week
      How I Became a Vegetarian
      Science Fiction: Do Humans Have Rights?

      Do we really need meat for strength? Let's see what these two have to say - Hannah Teeter, a vegan Olympic medalist in snowboarding, and VSS' very own, fruit and nut powered triathlete, Yeow.

      Visit us at www.vss.sg

      Anyone Can Make Yummy Vegan Yogurt! – 6 March

      Don’t miss this chance to learn how to make your own soy yogurt and some of the tasty things you can do with that yogurt. So tasty and so healthy too. And, it’s easier to do than a Sec 1 chemistry experiment! Details at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/1301

      Talking to Animals – 9 March

      Just a few places left to learn about communicating with our fellow animals:

      2010 Library Talks Begin 3 Apr

      Last year, VSS had a series of four excellent talks at libraries. This year, we hope to equal the quality and increase the quantity of our talks.
      The first talk will by Heng Guan Hou, and his title is Why Brown Rice is a Better Choice. The venue is Bishan Public Library, Level 2, Progamme Zone, on Sat, 3 Apr, 3-4pm.
      To read more about Mr Heng, here are two pieces from the local media:

      Reminder: VSS AGM – 20 Mar (Sat)

      VSS will be holding our AGM on Sat, 20 Mar, 2pm-5pm at National Volunteer and Philanthropy Centre, Level 4, The Central, above Clarke Quay MRT. Hope to see you there. We’ll review VSS’s 2009 efforts and talk about what to do in 2010.

      Our Executive Director of Education in Mind Your Body

      Loh Yeow Nguan, VSS’s Executive Director of Education and Outreach was featured in Mind Your Body last week. Read what he has to say about diet at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/957

      The VSS InBox

      A reader saw Yeow’s interview in Mind Your Body and wrote in to VSS. We especially like the last line in the email.
      I read the newspaper and there was mention of dates and figs. Can you kindly let me know where to buy these items?
      Do you also hold classes on how to prepare smoothies? …
      Best of all, Mr Loh looks healthy even without consuming meat.
      Yeow wrote back:
      I buy nuts, seeds, dried fruits like dates/figs... from Bugis, Blk 270, Queens St , #03-85, Albert Centre [tel 6336 0277]. Of course, there are many other shops selling similar stuff. There are 4 kinds of figs... the black ones [sun dried] are better. The brownish ones may be sulphur dried. Same for apricots.
      We have no plans to hold regular classes. However, we do smoothie workshops for schools or other organisations.
      We’re hoping to do a simple video to put on the website, but we’re not sure when we can find the time. Perhaps, you can keep a lookout in our newsletter?
      Besides the good energy this diet can provide, the high anti-oxidant level is also good for anti-stress and anti-aging.
      Glad to help and thanks so much for the interest : )
      p.s. – figs contain potassium, fibre, tryptophan (for sleep), calcium.

      Vegan Snowboarding Olympic Medallist Helps African Village

      Hannah Teeter is a vegan Olympic medalist in snowboarding. Plus, she also donates major money to help a village in Africa . Here’s a quote from a recent interview:
      “I feel stronger than I've ever been, mentally, physically, and emotionally. My plant-based diet has opened up more doors to being an athlete. It's a whole other level that I'm elevating to. I stopped eating animals about a year ago, and it's a new life. I feel like a new person, a new athlete”.
      Read the entire interview at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/avital-binshtock/

      Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?

      We’ve been reading – for example, at http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/bones#vitD - that many people, veg and non-veg, lack sufficient vitamin D. What about in sunny Singapore ? We asked a local vegetarian health professional, Dr Ho Soon Lye. Here’s what Dr Ho said.
      1. Why is vitamin D, specifically D3, so important?
      The ABCDE of vitamin D3:
      (A) The effect on the auto-immune diseases--vitamin D is being used for treating lupus, where it tampers the over-activity of the immune system, by suppressing it. If the immune system is down, it will push it up. It modulates the immune system.
      (B) The action on bone, for osteomalacia, osteopenia and osteoporosis.
      (C) The effect on cancer and also on cardiovascular diseases, e.g., stroke, heart diseases, hypertension. It helps in cell differentiation and maturation, and cuts down cell proliferation in malignancy. It slows abnormal apoptosis.
      (D) The role it plays in some way to prevent dementia, and diabetes mellitus type I, and possibly, type II.
      (E) The effect it has on skeletal muscle- we feel stronger in the muscles, and on the nervous system when we are more alert and we feel less fatigue. It has a role in helping depression. It energises.
      2. What can do to get enough vitamin D?
      The sun gives sunlight every day without fail and without charge. How many people really appreciate the sun? We should be grateful to the sun. The portion (UV 290-315nm) of the light spectrum shines on our human skin and generates vitamin D3; and a full exposure (in a white body) of 15-30 minutes will make about 10,000 to 50,000iu, enough to meet an individual daily need.
      Generally, I like to make two general principles:
      (1) The production of vitamin D3 is inversely proportional to the density of the skin pigmentation, the area and the amount of the time the skin surface is exposed to the sun.
      (2) The production of vitamin D3 is inversely proportional to the age of the individual. This rule applies to those especially after the age of forty, when, as a rule, aging starts.
      So, the best way to get enough vitamin D is to expose our skin to the sunlight or artificial UV light. We do not get enough because we wear clothes and use umbrellas on sunny days. Thousands of Singaporeans are in danger of being insufficient or/and deficient in vitamin D because of our lifestyle. Most food is poor in vitamin D; so, the next best option, other than sunlight, is to take supplements.
      As stated in response to the first question above, being insufficient or/and deficient in vitamin D has serious consequences. This state of vitamin D inadequacy in the world is being called a pandemic.
      In short, welcome gladly the light of the sun and walk in the sun when the opportunity permits, or resort to ingesting vitamin D supplements.

      Meet an Animal Communicator

      What are the non-human animals in our homes thinking? What are they trying to tell us? Are they happy? Animal Communication is designed to provide some answers to such questions, and Noah's Ark animal shelter is bringing renowned Animal Communicator, Ms Rosina Arquati, to Singapore .
      Date: 8 or 10 Mar
      Time: 7-10pm
      Price: S$80 per pax
      Venue: Infusion Restaurant ( Dempsey Road )
      Each evening is limited to 50 pax per night. It includes dinner and an introduction on Animal Communication by Ms Rosina Arquati.
      For more details on the events, location or how to register, please visit the Noah’s Ark blog: http://noahsarkcares.blogspot.com
      Only human animals are allowed, but please bring along photographs of your non-human animal friends.

      Report from JB

      A VSS member sent the following about a surprise finding in JB.
      We occasionally head down to Johor Bahru for shopping and with the OPC scheme having been tweaked recently to include full-day use on Saturdays, we went over last Saturday. Our usual haunt is JUSCO Tebrau City located just after the junction of Tebrau Highway and Pasir Gudang Highway , and recently a TESCO shopping centre was built next to this.
      Notably, my wife even let out a yelp when she noticed the labelling includes a 'suitable for vegans' tag - something we'd be hard-pressed to find even in Singapore ! Needless to say we were/are highly impressed with TESCO and hope one day they'll open an outlet here in Singapore .

      Organic Living – Talk and Meetup Group

      Wong Kee Yew is one of Singapore ’s top speakers on healthy food. He has done numerous talks, not to mention radio appearances, food demos, a cookbook and organic food tours in Singapore and beyond. Just last Sat, he did a talk at HDB Hub in Toa Payoh.
      Now, Kee Yew is launching an Organic Living Meetup Group: http://www.meetup.com/Organic-Living
      Plus, he’s doing a talk in Mandarin on Organic Living on Sun, 28 Mar, 2pm @ Sagaramudra Buddhist Society. The content will be secular, despite the host being a religious body. BTW, Kee Yew is trained in biochemistry and continues to work in that field.

      Tea Reception on Preventing and Overcoming Cancer

      On Sat, 6 Mar, Dr David Tan, founder of BioDYNE Labs Medical Wellness Centre, is hosting a tea reception to inform the public about an integrative path to lower the risk of cancer and increase the chances of overcoming cancer. Veg food is part of this path. The event is at 2-5pm, at Camden Medical Centre, Level 25, North Tower , 6455-6787.

      Post Museum’s Monday Soup Kitchens

      Food #03 - http://www.vegetarian-society.org/node/864 - is the vegetarian restaurant run by Post Museum in Little India. They not only sell vegetarian food, they also give it away every Monday via their Soup Kitchen Project.
      The Soup Kitchen Project cooks and feeds lower-income persons in the area surrounding Post-Museum. Held every Monday when Food #03 is closed, volunteers from all walks of life gather to clean, cook and distribute vegetarian dinners (usually rice with 3 dishes) to the beneficiaries.
      To volunteer and to donate:

      Phone Apps

      A reader suggested the following phone app to help vegetarians. Let us know if you discover or create other apps that are useful here.
      VegOut - http://vegoutapp.com - A worldwide directory of vegan, vegetarian and veg-friendly dining places which can be found nearest to your present or programmed location.

      8 Reasons to Go Meatless at Least Once a Week

      Here, from Paul McCartney, is something short, simple and catchy to show to someone who needs just a little bit more convincing to start cutting down on meat:

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Actress Ginnifer Goodwin explains why she went veg. There are some greats line at the end:
      When people ask, I always tell them, "I didn't stop eating animal products because I didn't like the taste. I loved the taste! But in this life, I want to inflict as little pain as possible." To everyone who argues that we can treat our fellow earthlings this way and so we should, I like to quote Harry Potter's Dumbledore, who said: "It is our choices, Harry, that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities." I adore that.
      Read the whole story at

      Science Fiction: Do Humans Have Rights?

      Here, via an old episode of a Star Trek clone tv series, is a sci-fi perspective on how we treat our fellow animals: http://bit.ly/aR3VlR

      Join VSS and enjoy great discounts on all our events,
      plus many other benefits!

      To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.
      Click here for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries,
      or email us at makan@... to notify us of new places.
      p.s. - Please share the VSS eNewsletter with family, friends and colleagues.
      That's how we convince more people to eat less or no meat!
      Back issues are available here.
      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by the Vegetarian Society ( Singapore ).

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)