VSS eNewsletter - 24 June 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2009
      Untitled Document

      VSS

      In this issue...

      VSS NEWS

      Get Your Copies of VSS’s Singapore Vegetarian Food Guide

      VSS Talk at Theosophical Society – 4 July

      A ‘Thank You’ Note from a Reader

      GENERAL NEWS

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Request from a Not Yet 100% Veg Reader

      Talking to Little Kids about Meat Eating

      New Veg Restaurant on Serangoon

      Italian Cooking Classes from Genesis Health Food Restaurant

      Vegetarian Farm Stay in Jiangxi Province

      How Many Vegetarians Are There?

      Unchicken Patty at Some KFCs in Canada

      Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition

      Research Update from Dr Michael Greger

      VSS NEWS

      Get Your Copies of VSS’s Singapore Vegetarian Food Guide

      VSS

      One person who attended last month’s launch of our Singapore Vegetarian Food Guide already put their copy to good use and wrote a review of 7 Sensations, the restaurant they selected from the guide - http://moonpointer.com/new/2009/06/the-sensational-7-sensations/

      People who are members of VSS (either life members at $300 or annual members at $30) have already received a free copy of the guide. To buy more copies or to buy your first copy, non-members, please visit http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/1047# - minimum order is 4 copies; one organization has ordered 600!

      To become a VSS member and receive a free guide plus restaurant vouchers and other benefits, please visit http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=node/6

      VSS Talk at Theosophical Society – 4 July

      A VSS representative will be doing a talk and video showing at the Theosophical Society Lodge from 5pm-7pm, Sat, 4 July. The lodge is located at 540 Sims Ave, #03-04 Sims Ave Centre, junction of Lorong 37 and Sims Ave (nearest MRT is Paya Lebar). You can see a map at http://www.singaporelodge.org/slodge.htm and the talk is open to the public.

      The Theosophical Society supports vegetarianism: http://www.singaporelodge.org/medveg.htm - quoting from their website; “meditation and vegetarianism bring about tremendous benefits even to those who are not necessarily on a spiritual quest”. The Society’s Singapore Lodge was formed in 1889!

      Contact: info@..., 6732.7727/6846.2024

      A ‘Thank You’ Note from a Reader

      VSS received the following email from a reader who visits Singapore .

      I wish to thank you for including me in your VSS newsletter mailing list even if I am not a member. I am from Manila and have visited Singapore about a dozen times over the last 40 years of my business career. I have found Singapore to be a vegetarian-friendly city in which I have no problem at all finding vegetarian food. Of course, visiting Komala Vilas has always been mandatory during every visit. I got a tip from a friend at the Theosophical Society to ask for Brahmin food in Indian restaurants and Buddhist food in Chinese restaurants, and I was usually alright.

      Lately, I have been eating more raw food and have used several fruitarian/raw vegetable recipe books that I picked up during my travels. I am doing well so far with newsletters such as your VSS newsletters and some web sites for which I am very grateful. Again, many thanks.

      GENERAL NEWS

      How I Became a Vegetarian

      Here’s another in our occasional series of autobiographical stories about people’s vegetarian journey. Please send your story to info@... and fret not, we can help with the editing.

      I have been a vegetarian since 5/01/09. My shift towards vegetarianism started when I read 'Food for Thought', by Singapore ’s own Adam Moledina, about the horrendous treatment of the non-human animals whom we eat. I learned more and found that livestock’s food is not regulated, including the amount of chemical pesticides and fertilizers used in growing their food. I saw how our fellow animals are treated as profit making machines, how they are mutilated and confined with almost no space to move and how some go insane due to the unnatural and cruel conditions. This got me wondering how we are able to inflict so much pain on other species just for our personal gain.

      I also learned more about the many ways that meat production wastes food and other resources and how this damages our planet. For instance, many hectares of forests are cut down to provide space for animal herding, and animal faeces pollute seas and rivers. The seas also suffer as marine species are decimated by overfishing. Our Earth is dying at our hands.

      Frankly speaking, I knew these reasons for sometime before I eventually switched to vegetarian. Why did I take so long to switch? No matter how compelling the reasons were, I had been brought up thinking of other animals as food rather than as fellow beings who can feel pain and love and can even think. Refraining from meat also seemed too limiting and too difficult a lifestyle to follow, especially when everyone around me was a non-vegetarian. Despite these obstacles, on that fateful day last January, I decided to do a 30-day vegetarian trial.

      When the 30 days ended in February, I decided to keep going, and I am still happily a vegetarian. It has not been as hard as I thought it would be, and I can see all the benefits that it has brought to my life. For instance, my family members are now taking more vegetables. I also feel a self-esteem boost knowing that I am doing something good for the Earth and the other animals every time I choose not to eat meat. Currently, I’m moving toward a vegan diet.

      I Love Vegetarianism!

      VSS
      Andrewson Tan

      Singaporean, 28 years old

      http://andrewsontan.blogspot.com/

      Request from a Not Yet 100% Veg Reader

      Last week, VSS received the following request for advice on going veg.

      I enjoy the newsletters that come through the mail.  While I’m not totally vegetarian, I’m wondering if in your next newsletter, you could offer tips on how a meat eater can become vegetarian. Maybe some 'challenges' other meat eaters had when attempting to change and what they did to overcome them.

      Please send your advice to info@...  Please keep to below 75 words. Pretend you’re posting on Twitter, thanks in advance.

      Talking to Little Kids about Meat Eating

      A reader sent in the following chat she had with one of her nephews.

      VSS

      Adult: Hey Tot! What are you eating?

      Tot: Duck rice. (Bought by his aunt)

      Adult: Orh! You’re eating Donald Duck!

      Tot: (Shocked and sheepishly) No la… Donald Duck is blue.

      (Tot is a four year old who likes Donald Duck!)

      Adult: No! Donald Duck is the same colour as the duck you’re eating!

      (Donald Duck wears blue, but is of the same colour as normal ducks!)

      Tot: (Hesitates to continue eating!)

      Note: Although food for thought, VSS does not endorse unsolicited vegetarian evangelism.

      New Veg Restaurant on Serangoon

      There can never be enough of a good thing. That’s why we’re happy to announce a new veg outlet in the Serangoon Road area. Here are the details.

      Name: Gopals

      Address: 517 Serangoon Road

      Tel: 6296.2452

      Open: Daily 9am-9.30pm

      Nearby Landmarks: Shell Petrol Kiosk

      Specialty dishes: Roti Prata, Murtabak, Mee Goreng, Western dishes, eggless pastries

      Onion & garlic: No

      Organic: No

      MSG (Ajinomoto): No

      Eggs: No

      Brown rice: No

      Dairy: Yes

      Price Range of Main Dishes: $5 and below

      Email: gopals@...

      Delivery: Yes, including Tiffin Service in the CBD

      Catering: Yes, plus a function room

      Date information collected: 16th June 2009

      Italian Cooking Classes from Genesis Health Food Restaurant

      Here is a chance to learn vegan Italian cooking from the folks at Genesis Health Food Restaurant, 1 Lorong Telok (behind Boat Quay), Tel – 9145.4218 (Agnes); email -genesishf@.... Fees – $50 per class or 10% discount if you sign up for all three classes. The course fee is slightly more than our usual fee due to the cost of ingredients. All classes are at the restaurant from 4-6pm.

      28 June

      Vegan Cream Style Fettucine

      Pasta Salad

      No Bake Fruit Flan

      Vegan Cheese

      19 July

      Spaghetti Bolognese

      Salad with Fresh Citrus Dressing

      Cheesecake

      16 August

      Pesto Pasta

      Pumpkin Soup

      Vegan Carrot Cake

      VSS

      Vegetarian Farm Stay in Jiangxi Province

      VSS received the following email last week from China .

      The Guilai Vegetarian Villa - www.vegetablefamily.cn - is a touring farm sponsored by a group of vegetarian friends, most of them are university teachers in Guangzhou . It is located in Pengze County , Jiangxi Province, a location associated with Tao Yuanming, a famous poet and hermit of the 5th century.

      They claim to be the first touring farm in China to promote vegetarianism and hope to create peace and happiness for themselves and the world through being vegetarian and living a simple, healthy lifestyle.

      VSS

      How Many Vegetarians Are There?

      VSS

      VSS often is asked how many vegetarians there are in Singapore . Unfortunately, we are not aware of any data on that, however, there was a new poll of vegetarians in the U.S. which you can read about at http://www.vrg.org/press/2009poll.htm

      Approximately, 3% of the population is lacto-ovo vegetarian and about 1% is vegan. The webpage also has a link to data for the U.K. - http://www.vegsoc.org/info/statveg.html

      Unchicken Patty at Some KFCs in Canada

      Our friends at PETA and the Vegetarian Resource Group are reporting that some KFCs in Canada will be offering an Unchicken Sandwich:  http://www.vrg.org/vrgnews/2009jun.htm

      Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition

      VSS

      Cornell University is offering an online certificate course in Plant-Based Nutrition, led by Professor T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study (http://www.thechinastudy.com)

      More info: http://www.plantbasednutrition.org/courses-resources/courses

      Research Update from Dr Michael Greger

      Dr Michael Greger, also known as the Vegan MD, serves as the Director of Public Health and Animal Agriculture at the Humane Society of the United States . Dr Greger has just produced a DVD titled Latest in Clinical Nutrition 2009, another in his series of annual research updates. All proceeds go to charity: http://www.DrGreger.org/DVDs

      VSS

      Visit http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=fdl
      for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries

      or email us at info@...

      to notify us of new places.

      Chief Editor:                             Dr George M Jacobs

      Editorial Consultant:                 Mr Gangasudhan

      Back issues are available at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/3

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyrighted, and readers are encouraged to share the content.

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by the Vegetarian Society of Singapore.

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4184 (20090624) __________

      http://www.eset.com