VSS eNewsletter - 05 March 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009

      http://docs.google.com/File?id=dsb2qcg_204rzfq96ff_b

      In this issue...

      VSS NEWS

      VSS 10th Anniversary AGM - Sat, 28 Mar, 2-5pm

      Let's Go Fly A Kite - A Tribute To Shakib Gunn – Sun, 8 Mar

      Letter In My Paper

      GENERAL NEWS

      Vegetarian Steamboat Near Chinese Garden

      A Somewhat Long And Very Scary Article

      A Very Nice 6-Minute Video

      March Workshops From Wholesome Living

      Health Carnival At Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre – Sat, 7 Mar

      NUS Food Fair – Sun, 15 Mar, from 5pm

      VSS NEWS

      VSS 10th Anniversary AGM, Sat, 28 Mar, 2-5pm

      Sat, 28 Mar, 2pm-5pm, VSS will hold our 10th anniversary AGM at The Giving Place, the HQ of the National Volunteer and Philanthropic Centre, located at 6 Eu Tong Sen Street, #04-88, The Central, just above Clarke Quay MRT on Level 4, in the MPH room.

      Light refreshments, including a vegan birthday cake by Halimah, will be served. For directions: http://www.nvpc.org.sg/Pgm/Others/NVPC_F_ContactUs.aspx

      Please attend the AGM to celebrate what VSS has done over the past 10 years, to discuss what we will do in 2009 and beyond, and to explore how you might be involved in our urgent task of educating the public about the benefits of moving towards diets that are part of a kinder and wiser way of life.

      Let's Go Fly A Kite - A Tribute To Shakib Gunn – Sun, 8 Mar

      Last month, long-time VSS activist Shakib Gunn passed away. Two of Shakib’s great loves were kite flying and vegetarianism. This Sunday’s event brings them together. Fortunately, Wing Lee, President of Singapore Kite Association, which Shakib helped to found, has agreed to grace our event. At about 10am, he will be bringing some of his kites for flying as well as some leftover Valentines Kites from the Singapore Kite Day event 2 weekends ago, which Shakib designed.

      Event: Let's Go Fly a Kite - A Tribute to Shakib Gunn

      Venue: Pasir Ris Park (west end), field adjacent to PA bungalows (see map)

      Parking: Car Park F (free parking)

      Date: 8 Mar (Sun)

      Time: 10am till the sun sets

      Remarks: We are going to have a picnic lunch, so bring your own vegetarian food and picnic mats! Bring your own kites too, and if possible, bring extra kites. We will have some extra kites, but chances are there will not be enough to go around. The event is free but please register via email to fangqi@.... After registration, a contact number will be provided for use on the day of the event, if needed. And, don’t forget rain gear.

      Directions:
      1) Take the MRT to Pasir Ris, exit on the left, then left again, and keep walking straight to the bus interchange.

      2) Take bus #403 (on the right side of the bus interchange). On the bus, keep a lookout once it hits Pasir Ris Road where all the semi-D's/bungalows are. Right when the bus does a 180-degree turn at the roundabout at Pasir Ris Road , get off the bus!

      3) Then proceed to the specific area marked on this map: http://skitch.com/funkeemonk/bgqmj/lets-go-fly-a-kite

      Theme song for this gathering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGaTfGHELV4 and for those that have met Shakib, don't you think the guy in the video looks like him?

      Letter In My Paper

      VSS had a letter published in the 4 Mar issue of My Paper, p. A29. http://myepaper.mypaper.sg/ebook/web_php/fvbrowserjs.php?urljs=http://myepaper.mypaper.sg/ecreator/sphopf/ep040309cnd_opf_files/ep040309cnd.js&ver=Gen

      GENERAL NEWS

      Vegetarian Steamboat Near Chinese Garden

      Zhu Lin is the name of a stall offering vegetarian steamboat at less than $10 for adults and $7 for children. Plus, they do packet lunches for factories in Jurong.

      Address: Block 414 Jurong West, Street 42, #01-783

      Tel: 8139-7755, 9450-7878

      Bus: 334

      Open: Daily 6.30am-10pm

      Specialty dishes: Steamboat Buffet, Carrot Cake

      Onion & garlic: No

      Organic: No

      MSG: Yes, but you can request without

      Eggs: Yes

      Brown rice: Yes

      Dairy: No

      Delivery: Yes

      Catering: Yes

      A Somewhat Long And Very Scary Article

      Here’s an article from New Scientist magazine discussing the possible, increasingly inescapable consequences of global warming: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126971.700-how-to-survive-the-coming-century.html?page=1

      In the article, James Lovelock, famous for originating Gaia Theory - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis - is quoted as follows: “Humans will survive as a species, but the cull this century will be huge”.

      Readers of the VSS eNewsletter know that reducing meat is one way to address global warming, but the article’s only mention of vegetarianism (on the third page) is about a kind of forced vegetarianism, as marine life die and little land remains for raising our fellow land animals for food.

      Vegetarianism gets much more positive play in the video in our next item.

      A Very Nice 6-Minute Video

      Here’s a simple – which is sometimes the best – message from HK. http://ilovekyurii.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-arey-ou-doing-personally-to-change.html

      March Workshops From

      Chef Oh Chong Fah is doing another series of tasty and education workshops this month. Here’s the lineup:

      Fermentation 1                            08/03 & 15/03 (Sun) 3-6pm

      Supercharged with Raw Energy (I)          21/03 & 28/03 (Sat) 3-6pm

      Tempeh Temptation                     22/03 (Sun) 3-5.30pm

      Sprouting Made Very Easy (I)       29/03 (Sun) 3-6pm

      For details, please visit http://wholesomeliving-sg.com/schedules.html, call 6560.1337 or write to info@...

      Health Carnival At Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre – Sat, 7 Mar

      On 7 Mar (Sat), 10.30am-4.30pm, Zenxin Organic is hosting a Health Carnival at their shop at Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre. The carnival will feature a Hand Reflexology Master, Vegetable Juicing, Vegetarian Food by New Green Pastures Café from Fortune Centre, and Back-to-Nature cleaning solutions - Envizyme.

      Together with this Health Carnival, Zenxin Organic will offer organic vegetables at a 20% discount. Zenxin is at Blk 14 Wholesale Centre, #01-25, S. 110014, Tel: 6779.7839, 6778.7369, Email: taisengyee@..., W: http://www.zenxin.com.my/2009/

      NUS Food Fair – Sun, 15 Mar, From 5pm

      NUSSU SAVE (Students Against Violation of the Earth) is working to change eating habits in order to slow global warming. One of their projects involves film showings. Another is a food fair to be held on Sun, 15 Mar, from 5pm onwards at the UCC Courtyard at NUS.

      Visit http://www.vegetarian-society.org/?q=fdl
      for a comprehensive list of vegetarian eateries

      or email us at info@...

      to notify us of new places.

      Chief Editor:                               Dr George M Jacobs

      Editorial Consultant:                   Mr Gangasudhan

      Back issues are available at http://www.vegetarian-society.org/index.php?q=taxonomy/term/3

      The VSS eNewsletter is non-copyrighted, and readers are encouraged to share the content.

      Disclaimer: The information provided in this Newsletter is solely for the consideration of the subscribers, and does not constitute an endorsement by the Vegetarian Society of Singapore.

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3906 (20090303) __________

      http://www.eset.com